Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Neighbours

Options
  • 12-07-2012 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Living in a terraced house with my parents that we bought when I was 7 years old, I'm now 20. This is the house where I've lived out most of my life.

The son of one of our deceased elderly neighbours has rented out the house. He lives in America and has one of his friends living here looking after the house in his place.

They moved in last November and have been hell ever since.

Every night between 12 and 2 in the morning they can be a loud as can be. Plus they have loud sex every night. No loud music (at night), just thumping up and down the stairs, banging doors, arguing (every now and again), shouting. It's so annoying. I have resulted to wearing earplugs to get some sleep which are so uncomfortable and eventually go so soft from wear that they don't work.

My father drives for a living and starts work at 1 and 2 in the morning which isn't fair on him. I work part-time so I could finish work at 10 at night and start work at 8am. So it's not fair that my quiet time is spoiled.

There have been numerous times where she has been screaming so loud (and him too) from the sex that we have banged on the wall as we could hear them over our tv or have been in bed trying to get some sleep. They have stopped once we do that but if we're watching tv at a normal volume, they will bang on the wall just to get back at us.

They banged on our wall at about 1am tonight while we were watching tv but only a few moments ago I heard them dragging the kitchen table around on the hard floor (we all know how loud that can be) and banging doors really loud. It's not like they were trying to sleep that our tv disturbed them.

How can I sort this out? The relationship they have with us is weird as the man acts really friendly and says hello to me and my parents but she is really ignorant and has never once said hello. My father is against approaching them about the situation in case it escallades.

They know they are being a nuisance but have never mentioned it in a conversation or have never apologised for annoying us so much that we had to bang on the wall.

I doubt that a letter to their door will sort anything and considering they know that they are being a nuisance, approaching them is a no-no.

I even moved out with my bf to get away from the stress of living in my own home. But i'm torn between the two hmes depending on how bad a few days stay can get.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The landlord is responsible tot he neighbours for the tenant's anti-social behaviour.

But, realistically, talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anti social behavior going on. The problem is the walls are to thin. Sex isn't anti social

• Registered Users Posts: 15 xTLCx

ted1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anti social behavior going on. The problem is the walls are to thin. Sex isn't anti social

Well as long as they are making noise, having sex and being loud is the equivalent under the law as having a loud house party and shouting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

xTLCx wrote: »
    Well as long as they are making noise, having sex and being loud is the equivalent under the law as having a loud house party and shouting.

It really isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Have a look here:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Noise/

there are laws to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Youre first course of action should be to go and talk to them. Try explain the problem; even arrange for one of them to come into your place so that they can see for themselves the extent of the noise. How much good it will do I have no idea, but to go any further initially seems completely illogical when a simple conversation may well sort it.

Advertisement