Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pye model p28

• 12-07-2012 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all, i am restoring a p28 but the mains transformer has a blown secondary winding,is there anyone with a scraped chassis with a servicable transformer lying around ? . this model has a 4volt winding for the AZ 31 rectifer valve .
    thanks
    Padraig

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The AZ31 is very unreliable. Is it just the 4V winding gone or the 6.3V winding or the HT winding?

I'd use a pair of 1N4007 with 180 Ohm 0.5W (minimum) series resistor on back of AZ31 socket from the two anode pins to the cathode pin. The tube can be left plugged in.

Likely to get more response signing up
    http://vintagetvandradio.myfreeforum.org/index.php

Did you check at terminals on transformer for a fractured connection?

I have a scrapped Philips. I don't know if the transformer is working. I can check, collect only in Limerick unless you are desperate to pay courier fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 monomono

Hi watty,its the sec ht winding unfortunatly otherwise i would have did what you suggested,in the meantime i will make up a seperate exterior power supply just to get it up and running .The az31 is ok as i tested it in another working pye . Thanks for the offer of the phillips transformer
    Regards
    padraig

I like Pye. :)

I have P31MBQ, P131MBQ, P114BQ, 39 JH/E, Invicta Vicki and Invicta 29 All great.

pye were a good solid radio ,the most popular in Ireland in the 50s and 60s,assembled in Dundalk they must have sold thousands of them but the woodworm were very fond of the cabinets so a lot of them ended up in the tip ,pity they did'nt have them in bakelite.I have a 19a ,a p28,and a p43 all good.

My 39 JH/E has Dundrum Dublin on the scale. The others are UK made. There seems to be little record of what Pye, Murphy and Philips sets were made here. Vidor at least made batteries here, I don't know if they made radios here. Who else made or assembled sets in Ireland between 1922 to 1960, in the 1950s it was due to high import tariffs.

In the 1930s to 1960 wood was the desirable model and Bakelite was for cost reduced and 2nd sets (1930s RCA motto in USA: "A radio for every room", maybe not exact quote). KB toasters, Bush DAC90A were the budget sets!

Ever Ready Batteries in Ireland were made by Mallory, who were bought up by Duracell. Ever Ready gone now.

• Advertisement

i think they were only assemled here in differant locations and finally compleated in dundrum,there was a slight differance between some of the british & irish models, ie the P43 had an internal LW/MW frame aerial in the british model,the irish one did not. All the circuit diagrams are for british made sets and you will find that the component values in irish sets can differ slightly.
    I have the p28 wired up and running ,i left the old transformer in and disconnected the HT sec so i still have the proper LT for the heaters and connected the sec from another trans but the HT from that is about 80v lower than the original trans but a least i know its restorable, all i need now is a mains transformer with a 600+v sec.

Advertisement