Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

puking cat

• 12-07-2012 8:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hey guys! For about the last week ive been waking up to cat sick all over the utility. It started out as undigested food and hairballs so I treated them with defirrum for three days, but now one of them is puking digested food. I figure its Peach as the sick was in the cat bed and she sleeps in it on her own most of the time but I cant be guaranteed its her. Neither of them are sick in themselves, still hungry and the puking only happens at night... Im planning on fasting Peach to try settle things but shoud I do it for 12 or 24 hours? I also have some ID food so should I just feed her that now or after she starves? Theres been no major change in diet but maybe she ate an off mouse..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you're sure its not just hairballs they're vomiting up but actual vomit, id fast her for a full 24hrs...then the vet. Vomiting in cats should be taken more seriously than in dogs as they dehydrate quicker and in general vomiting is not a regular thing for cats to do, unlike dogs who seem to puke at the littlest things sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Shes still drinking so definitely not dehydrated, ill start fasting her tonight because Im sure my parents fed her while Im at work! Is it possible shes just working through a bone or feathers from something she ate? There was definitely hair balls but they cleared after the defurrum, maybe it weakened her stomach sphincter.. Or Im just over thinking things :P

Yeh they definitely could be feeling the ill effects of something they shouldnt have eaten. I was the same with hairballs with my cat and every morning for about a week i was finding them, but ACTUAL vomit shouldnt be left too long in cats. They dont have as sensitive stomachs as dogs do, who randomly vomit for no reason half the time, so when a cat does get sick it shouldnt be downplayed if you know what im trying to say.

Something like a foreign body (bone stuck somewhere) would cause vomiting and gagging etc, but this is in the extreme case. If they're still eating, drinking, urinating and defaecating ok then she should be fine. Check her mucous membranes i.e gum colour and moisture too. They should be a light pink and moist, if pale or dry then bring her to the vet.

Ah yeah sure if shes no better tomorrow ill bring her up on placement with me, she was always quite pukey as a baby so Im not too worried, her temp colour and cap refill time are all perfect so maybe it is just me making a mountain out of a molehill!

her temp colour and cap refill time are all perfect
    Ah sure ya know what you're talking about so... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,524 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Any plants in the house that your kitty might have been chewing on?
    Two of ours are demons for chewing leaves on flowers and that'll set them off on a puking binge for a day or two!

Maybe in the garden, def none in the house, normally I find their puke to be quite foamy if they have been chewing on a plant but this seems a bit different! Im sure its nothing though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

I heard milk makes the puke because they can't digest 'cow' lactose very well? I don know if your even feeding them that though ha. Im not exactly an expert, could well be more serious. Either way i hope the kitty is ok! :)

They dont get milk so thats not it, thanks for the suggestion though! The vet is going to give me a shot of antibiotic to bring home to her so hopefully that will sort it :)

Woke up to puke again ugh! This time a pale cigar shape followed by brown water, no hair balls. Last port of call will be to worm them, if they are still sick it'll be off to the vets. I fasted them for 12 hours then gave a small bit of id tin. I wish I knew which of them it was, both are still so happy, still have appetites and neither object when I go poking at their tummies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

How is puss doing? I have a cat that vomits occassionally, with no other symptoms. I noticed that it happened more with certain flavours of wet food and Whiskas was the worst for it.
    He has a tendency to eat his wet food very quickly at times and when he does he gets sick soon after. It never happens with his dry food, Royal Canin, and rarely with the Felix pouches. I'd love to feed them the more expensive wet foods but they're out of my price range.

No puke this morning thankfully :D hopefully it'll stay this way, or else it'll be off to the vets on monday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

We can have pukey cats here.
    Normally if its undigested food we higher the bowl so they cant gobble it.
    If its digested we starve for a full 24 hrs and go with small meals of chicken and rice for a few days. If they cant keep it down or seem off in anyway we see the vet.
    Is it possible to seperate them for a day or two?

If they start again ill keep them inside and separate but all seems so be going well at the.moments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

i have a pukey cat, he's been pukey since i found him as a kitten, took him to all kinds of vets, had blood tests done, poo tests done, all kinds of tests done and no vet could come up with anything. i moved recently and brought him to the local vet here for his booster and just mentioned it to the vet and what does the cat have?! IBS (irritable bowel synd)!!! apparently it's not uncommon in cats, but either way, if it doesn't settle, i'd be getting to the vet fairly quick

It seems to be all settled down now, thanks anyway! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

our cat does that sometimes when we switched from dry to wet food. The best way i can describe the noise she makes before puking is the noise of water being shaken in a wellington boot where you've held the end closed :)

Advertisement