Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolling Stones at 50

Options
  • 12-07-2012 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

On this day, 50 years ago...12th July 1962, The Rolling Stones made their live debut at the Marquee Jazz Club, London, with Dick Taylor on bass (later of The Pretty Things) and Mick Avory on drums, (later of The Kinks). Billed as The Rollin’ Stones, they were paid £20 for the gig, the equivalent of £330 in 2010.

To celebrate the Occasion we bring you 15 Rolling Stones facts:
    Read more http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/the_rolling_stones
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

was anyone here at the gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Everyone there is long since dead, including moist of the band! :p

Seriously though, its just brain frying to consider that they have got away with it for so long becoming the self styled "World's Greatest Rock and Roll Band" which is patently a ridiculous thing to describe them as. Sure they've got some very good tunes but they've been coasting for 35 of that 50 years - Some Girls was probably the last good Stones album. I was 13 at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I never liked them. One dimensional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

We should be heralding a band thats lasted 50 years, regardless of whether they are to your taste or not.
    Genuinely legendary acts like the Stones, AC/DC, Tom Petty, Springsteen etc are all advancing in years. We should cherish them because there is absolutley nothing coming behind them even close to their quality.
    My father seen the Stones in 1967 and I seen them 40 years later, in 2007.
    Im trying to think of someone Ive seen live this year, that my 2 year old daughter might see live in 2052!?
    I think that puts the Stones longevity into perspective.

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

did they not start off as a cover band? and their bad boy attitudes made them not their actual music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

CUPimus wrote: »
    did they not start off as a cover band? and their bad boy attitudes made them not their actual music?

The Beatles did a lot of covers when they started out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

even if they havent made a decent album in a couple of decades in all fairness its very difficult to keep yourself interesting over 50year, bob dylan might be an exception but he's released alot of dross in between

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Suas11 wrote: »
    The Beatles did a lot of covers when they started out too.

Yeah but their first single was an original song (and of course, all their singles were original). The Stones' first four singles were covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yeah but their first single was an original song (and of course, all their singles were original).

I think Twist And Shout was a released as a single in the US (as far as I know) and that's a cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

• Advertisement
Advertisement