Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bali Holiday... need some tips!

Options
  • 12-07-2012 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anybody has any tips about travelling around Bali. Myself and a couple mates (female) are planning to go there for 3 weeks, we are late 20's and enjoy adventures and energetic experiences as well as eating drinkin and having the craic.

I know there are certain parts of Bali that are mobbed with tourists and not recommended. If anyone has been travelling in bali and can recommend the better areas to fit into the holiday I would be very grateful, also any good hostels and/or fancy hotels anyone might recommend. (we are going to do a mixture).

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Hi chuckster, when ye arrive I'd spend a few nights(get over jet lag) in legian area it's between(kuta and seminyak). Legian has tons and tons of hotels plenty of restaurants/bars(drag show in Bali Beach shack a most very funny and always busy and in good taste). It's a €2/3 euro taxi(bluebird only others will rip you off) into kuta central where the crowds party all night, if you want a dress up party night head to seminyak loads of posh restaurants/bars/clubs to be had.
    It's fair cheap to eat and drink in the cafe(warungs) you can also pay top dollar if you want. Never been sick in the 5 times we've been.

Head to Ubud for a few days lovely town in the hills but getting very busy,loads of hotels/home stays/guesthouses available and great restaurants use this place to do day trips, you can also do a bicycle tour takes half day which was good.

Maybe 2/3 days on gili islands, 3 tiny islands off the coast of Lombok about an hour+ on a boat from Bali, gili t is the biggest island(1mile by 3mile)best place to stay good restaurants bars and really laid back. No cars or motorbikes only horse and trap and bicycle brilliant!! A morning trip to other 2 islands is easy to do.

Buy most of your toiletries in Bali only 1/3 of the cost head to carrefour a massive shop and stock up, spirits are dear in Bali tax very high so if ye like your vodka etc bring a litre each from duty free with ye.....

Have a look on Bali tripadvisor it'll give you plenty of hotel choices for the areas you want, make sure ye have 25dollars each for voa and arrange a taxi to your hotel on arrival cos it can be quiet crazy once you leave the airport.
    Be very careful changing your money the money changers are known for leaving people short I know......
    If you need any more help let me know and happy travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

When are you going?

smurfjed

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chuckster

Sorry for only replying now! havnt been on this much! thanks Tipperary Animal Lover got some great tips there and have been checking them out, you pretty much described what we were looking for!

Smurjfed, I have nothing booked yet but the plan is to go June next year though this might change by a month either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Kuta is full of tourists especially Australians. I stayed in Nusa Dua, which is the other side of the island. Its a really nice resort, with private beaches so no-one hassels you and the hotels were amazing, not really a drinking place though, but thats what i like.
    I got the ferry for a few day trips to other islands.
    It was a while since i was there, so i dont know if its the same, but it can be annoying when the street vendors constantly hassle you.
    If you go to any temples, keep your legs covered, and be warned they drive like lunatics!!!!

Brilliant place though, id love to go again.

Advertisement