Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage Issues.

Options
  • 12-07-2012 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I do not know if this is the right place, if it is not could someone tell me where is.

But i am 20 years old and i am working in a shop for about 8 months and i am getting paid about 5 euro and hour. I am not sure how much i am getting i am getting paid an hour as i get paid with money in hand and we never get a pay slip. if we want one we have to ask for it. But i do know that i am getting about 5.50 euro an hour.

Also someone at work (a apart timer) has been getting 7% of his wages taken out every week. He was told it was for the universal social charge but he and work got a letter saying he was exempt from it. But work still took 7% out of his wages. He could go to them saying that but he will likely get sacked if he does.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Very dodgy. Payslips are your legal right and that is not minimum wage- the least it should be is around €6.70, and that is for 16 year olds. Do you have a contract? I would expect you don't, seeing as you're being exploited and being paid cash in hand. If you don't have a contract, your best bet is to give NERA a call and they can send someone out to investigate. Document EVERYTHING, keep all payslips- ask for them all, it's your right- note down salary etc. Check for other rights- are you being given at least a 15 minute break for every 4.5 hours worked? Do you have at least 11 hours rest period between shifts?

Because you are there less than a year, if you want to keep this job then you need to tread carefully, if you kick up a fuss and get sacked, you have no rights for unfair dismissal as you are not there a year..it would be very difficult to do anything. Definitely get NERA to suss it out before doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭albel nox

Yeah breaks are fine. Although our manager does harass us a lot, she threatens people all the time and is overly aggressive most of the time. She has made a lot of the people leave/upset. I would bring it to the owner but he is her brother so its not a great position.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 clairebearxxx

contact NERA asap. that is not right at all!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Definitely reads like exploitation.

Your not being paid minimum wage, which is illegal.
    Your being paid cash in hand, most likely to keep you off the books so your employer can avoid paying tax, and also avoid legal binding documentation to paying you minimum wage.

As above, contact NERA.

However, going by the sound of the employer, and excuse me for making an assumption, going by your typing it would appear you are a foreign national, which probably compounds this employer taking advantage of you. While taking the case to NERA and having your employer investigated, you will most likely find yourself marginalised or remove from work. Its a terrible by product, but your employer sounds hostile, and will inevitibly get even more hostile after you take the above steps.

So I'd say it would be a good bet to maybe explore avenues of alternative employment if possible, before taking drastic steps. While its easy to point and say somethings wrong and you should report it to the authorities, its also the case that there might be circumstances we are not privy to ( and you might not want to go into) as to why it may be difficult to find alternative employment. Its something to consider and weight up before taking drastic actions.

Advertisement