Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening up Secondary Account

• 12-07-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have a Graduate account myself at the moment, done a 2 year course with a student account, graduated from that, then got a job for the year so account converted to graduate, im now returning to college soon, some time in September.

Im wondering if it would be possible to open up a brand new "student" current account with my other one still open, with plans to transfer all of my activity to the new student current account, ( Direct Debits, Standing Orders, Credit card) and close my current "Graduate" account soon after.

what would BOI's policy on that, RE: opening up another account, and then closing the first one.

Cheers!

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Rob.

Thanks for your query.

It is not possible for you to have a student and a graduate account open at the same time.

We can change your graduate account back to a student account for you without having to open up a new account. To do this you will need to call into your account holding branch, bringing along the approval letter from the college and we can arrange this for you.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Hi Rob.

Thanks for your query.

It is not possible for you to have a student and a graduate account open at the same time.

We can change your graduate account back to a student account for you without having to open up a new account. To do this you will need to call into your account holding branch, bringing along the approval letter from the college and we can arrange this for you.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

Cheers for the reply & info, Laura. :)

I had a quick phone call with my Branch yesterday, wasn't to detailed to be honest, but they said that an "account-Re conversation" ( back in to a student account ) isn't possible, as in there eyes, i was already a student, and now i am a graduate.

She said she would get back to me today, with a definitive answer, but she left me with knowledge that i wouldn't be able to do that.

hence, me asking my original question. :)

I wouldn't really have an issue, with closing my account, that i have at the moment first, and then re-opening up a new student account.

So i suppose, what i am asking is: Would it be "Frowned" upon by BOI, you know, closing one account and opening another one, say a few years down the line, i go to apply for a loan, will they question this fact?

there would be another reason to this aswell, my current branch is in Cavan, where as i actually live in Kells, so i would be looking to open the new account there instead etc..

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Robert,

If you are ever going for a loan with Bank of Ireland it will be based on your credit rating and how you have managed your accounts with us.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi Robert,

If you are ever going for a loan with Bank of Ireland it will be based on your credit rating and how you have managed your accounts with us.

Thanks
    Linda

Thanks, Linda.

What im trying to ask, though, would it be an issue, RE: Closing one account, then opening another?

Rob

Hi Robert,

Regarding a loan, it is assessed on how you have operated your accounts not how many accounts you have had with the Bank of Ireland.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement

Hi Robert,

Regarding a loan, it is assessed on how you have operated your accounts not how many accounts you have had with the Bank of Ireland.

Thanks
    Linda

Apologies Linda, but, I think your misunderstanding my question :)

Forget about the loan situation, im asking, simply:
    would it be an issue, RE: Closing one account, then opening another?

Rob

Like, would the new branch, be asking why i closed one account to open another.

Rob

Hi Robert,

I do apologise if I misunderstood your last post. There will be no issue closing one account to open another.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi Robert,

I do apologise if I misunderstood your last post. There will be no issue closing one account to open another.

Thanks
    Linda

Excellent Linda, thanks!

That answers my question!

Cheers

Rob

Advertisement