Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultima forever

Options
  • 12-07-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I stumbled upon a link for this on Twitter. Apparently EA are having another go at breathing life into the Ultima franchise with Bioware developing.

The new game, Ultima Forever: Quest For The Avatar, will be free-to-play and that's pretty much all that's known for the moment. There's a beta sign-up page which shows info on a fighter and a mage, a picture of a gypsy and a map of Britannia.

There's also a bit of blurb:
    The first great Western RPG has been lovingly restored in Ultima Forever - return to the Ultima series in BioWare's new cross-platform action RPG. Accept the challenge from Lady British and save the land of Britannia. Play as the Fighter or the Mage and travel alone or with friends, restore virtue and become the Avatar!

I'm curious as to what they'll make of it. It's a PC and iPad game, so I'm not expecting as expansive a game as the previous Ultima games. And Richard Garriott isn't involved (he's currently working on his own spiritual successor to the Ultima games). I'm wondering if "Lady British" is a slight dig at Garriott's "Lord British" character.

I'm a huge Ultima fan, so will be keeping an eye on this. Sadly, I don't expect great things from it (probably end up being a Facebook social game). But I live in hope.

The beta sign up is here: http://www.ultimaforever.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Garriot stated he wanted to make Ultima Online 2 and for that reason I am looking forward to his game more than Biowares one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 freemmorpg

I am so excited to read this news. I want to play ultima now. I have read from http://www.dotmmo.com/ultima-forever-10962.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Two things stood out, EA and Free to Play.

It will be a money grabbing failure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Two things stood out, EA and Free to Play.

It will be a money grabbing failure.

What, like the 10 million registered users on Battlefield Heroes?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

will that be some sort of ultima online thing? or take on single player games?

i loved UO, but i got way too late on that ship :(. back then i could not afford such thing and when i started earning money myself it was a destroyed game :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

What, like the 10 million registered users on Battlefield Heroes?

My judgement was based on two things.

Free to play games are generally rubbish, Forcing users to buy items in order to have a level playing field. This is bad. Yes, Free to play can be successful but I find it is a terrible model for use in games(My opinion).

EA is a company that is aiming more and more towards forcing users to pay for additional content in order to have a level playing field. This is also bad. The most recent example of this being Battlefield 3 Premium, Users that don't pay for it are put against users who have the additional weapons and that have had access to bonus XP events and are second class citizens when it comes to queue priority. This was introduced into a game over a year after release.

Adding an already pay to win model with a company that is forcing customers to pay for content to have a level playing field does not inspire hope in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

My judgement was based on two things.

Free to play games are generally rubbish, Forcing users to buy items in order to have a level playing field. This is bad. Yes, Free to play can be successful but I find it is a terrible model for use in games(My opinion).

EA is a company that is aiming more and more towards forcing users to pay for additional content in order to have a level playing field. This is also bad. The most recent example of this being Battlefield 3 Premium, Users that don't pay for it are put against users who have the additional weapons and that have had access to bonus XP events and are second class citizens when it comes to queue priority. This was introduced into a game over a year after release.

Adding an already pay to win model with a company that is forcing customers to pay for content to have a level playing field does not inspire hope in me.

I am a great fan of the ultima series from the single player RPG series to ultima online. I have put at least 10,000 hours into playing ultima games since I was a kid including UO.

The way I see it as long as they don't make it pay to win im on board. More and more games are going this way where you can only buy stuff that makes you look different or items that don't give that much of an edge like xp boosts and character slots.

As for battlefield premium, it doesn't give that much of an edge to be honest at all as some of the original guns are better than the ones that come with premium. Also when premium was released EA had double XP events for both regular and premium members.

Also it wasn't a year after release. BF3 was released October 25, 2011 and premium was released sometime around June. about 8 months after release.

Advertisement