Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF: THE SMASHES, don't spoil by discussing before show airs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Turns out Kenny Florian has an Aussie brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

manga_10 wrote: »
    seems to have quite the tiny hat collection

that freak flecther is good he used to wear some clown freak mask on his way to the ring ive seen him win a couple of fights convincingly.

Hope norman storms it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

that freak flecther is good he used to wear some clown freak mask on his way to the ring ive seen him win a couple of fights convincingly.

Hope norman storms it.

I'm liking how Norman is already getting heated and calling people out!

Can't wait to see his first fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

how long was the first episode lads? i had a look at ESPNs listings and i think its being repeated tomorrow night at 1:45am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Not a bad first episode.
    I really feel sorry for the guy that tore his bicep so early in the competition. He must be gutted.
    Looking forward to seeing Norman get stuck in. Hopefully he'll be next to fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 McManus

I watched it on http://www.mma-core.com/ it comes in 4 parts, good viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DB888 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the UK lads had there before training/fighting?..Time difference will have their bodies upside down for a few weeks
    Nah, it won't make a difference at all. Worse case scenario, a night or two at most if the flights were badly timed, certainly not weeks.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm liking how Norman is already getting heated and calling people out!

Can't wait to see his first fight!
    I found it interesting that Pearson named Norman as his best guy (well he named two, right before he tore his bicep)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

First fight, very poor standard. SBG's Philip Mulpeter or John Donnelly would have handed either a bashing no probs. Maybe they'll improve in the next few weeks with top coaches etc I find it hard to believe their Aus's or UK's top up and comers.

• Advertisement

I find it hard to believe their Aus's or UK's top up and comers.

Why do you find it hard to believe?
    Fair enough it wasn't the greatest fight but it was a decent finish and you'd expect the guys to bit a little nervous and cautious since the stakes are so high. You don't expect world class fights in the early stages of tuf anyway. These guys will be put into the UFC at the bottom level and will grow from there.
    Sure we haven't even seen the rest of the guys fight yet so don't know what they're like. As far as Parke goes though, he's definitely one of Europes top young prospects.

darced wrote: »
    It's be already over.

One of the guys I train with is competing in austrslian nationals (BJJ) today. Ben Alloway, the guy who won the first weeks fight is in this bracket. So they aren't in the house any more.

darced wrote: »
    It's be already over.

One of the guys I train with is competing in austrslian nationals (BJJ) today. Ben Alloway, the guy who won the first weeks fight is in this bracket. So they aren't in the house any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

Mellor wrote: »
    Nah, it won't make a difference at all. Worse case scenario, a night or two at most if the flights were badly timed, certainly not weeks.

Are you serious?.Definitely not a a night or 2 to recover!
    Im nearly sure it takes the body a few weeks to recover from such a time change.Sleep patterns are totally messed up,your eating schedule will go all over the place,takes the body time to redjust.
    You ever hear Joe Rogans podcast with Robb Wolf?He's a paleo diet expert,a research biochemist and basically just a encyclopedia on the human body.They were talking about time zone changes and how it affects a fighter.Wolf said any big change like US to Japan/Australia or vice vers he would moved to the location and start his camp there.A week is no where near enough time

DB888 wrote: »
    [
    Are you serious?.Definitely not a a night or 2 to recover!
    Im nearly sure it takes the body a few weeks to recover from such a time change.Sleep patterns are totally messed up,your eating schedule will go all over the place,takes the body time to redjust.
    Honestly it doesn't take long at all.
    Eating pattern isn't affected at all. You still eat when you need to. If you time the flight well and sleep on the plane you can offset most of the time difference in the air. (Sleep on the second flight if you land in the morning etc)
    If you totally mess it up, you'll be staying up late and napping in the afternoon for a day or two but thats about it it terms of sleep.
    You ever hear Joe Rogans podcast with Robb Wolf?He's a paleo diet expert,a research biochemist and basically just a encyclopedia on the human body.They were talking about time zone changes and how it affects a fighter.Wolf said any big change like US to Japan/Australia or vice vers he would moved to the location and start his camp there.A week is no where near enough time
    Yeah, You don't need the hassle of a 24 hour flight on fight week, so if you can avoid it why not. Plus close to a fight you've got diet and water weight issues that air travel can mess up. I'd worry about that more than timezones.
    Moving your camp out is obviously the best option, which is what Rob Wolfe was getting at.

• Advertisement

2nd episode
    Pretty boring fight this week. I was expecting a bit more from Freakshow but neither fighter never really got going. It was mainly just grappling up against the cage.
    I'm just looking forward to seeing Norman fight. Other than that I'm losing interest in it very quickly.

Dean09 wrote: »
    2nd episode
    Pretty boring fight this week. I was expecting a bit more from Freakshow but neither fighter never really got going. It was mainly just grappling up against the cage.
    I'm just looking forward to seeing Norman fight. Other than that I'm losing interest in it very quickly.
    I thought they both looked a bit poor. I expected the freak to pull guard and have a ground game. His arms obvious let him pull off a lot of chokes, but I don't think he is actually technically skilled at submissions.

The four or so guys I want to see fight haven't fought yet so I still have high hopes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 14 venum

Spoiler removed and user given 1 month ban.

This behaviour is number 1 way of turning people off the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I just logged on and saw the previous post, very disappointed. Im confused though,if it was edited last night how come i was able to see the original post when i logged on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Episode 4 spoilers -
    Parke looked hesitant in the stand up in the first round. Very nice trip take downs and dominated the ground game. He looked a lot more comfortable in the second round. He looked loose and throwing accurate strikes. Absolutely demolished his opponent. When ever Vas rolled or tried to escape, Norman was on him like glue. Never gave him an inch.

Sotiropoulus was very disrepectful to Newman with the joke about his stand up. I wish he commented on Georges last fight which was a 1 min KO loss.

He wouldn't give Norman respect after the fight either and blamed the loss on a weight advantage. Maybe he shouldn't have been so stupid to pick it then.

Either way, great to see Norman get through.

• Advertisement

Just seen the spoiler in my email notifications, venum your a fookin tool:mad:

What's the craic with talking about episode 4? Ie the second lightweight fight.
    This episode aired on tv (at least for me) on weds night? I'm on phone so spoiler tags are a hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

What's the craic with talking about episode 4? Ie the second lightweight fight.
    This episode aired on tv (at least for me) on weds night? I'm on phone so spoiler tags are a hassle.

If its aired chat away-this lad spoilered who is in the final.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

i taught Norman looked very strong and composed in the fight and never looked in any danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I think most of the aussies are Ok, that fella Xavier seems an awful tit though.

And agreed about George. He's making a fool of himself though trying to be witty and just looking stupid.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I think most of the aussies are Ok, that fella Xavier seems an awful tit though.

Agreed. He's not even Aussie, SA blow in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Pity they cant muffle those droolers shouting instructions fron the rail. I thought the crystal maze was bad.

I think bola was pretty sloppy last night.
    He was controlling and winning, then got taken down and looked to just give up. I thought he tapped easily. The north south didn't look that particularly tight when he tapped. I don’t know if the slam dazed him, and that’s why he tapped so easily or what the case was. Just looked like he gave up.

Speaking of giving up, that Luke fella is an idiot. So he lost, and he can’t train for the rest of his time in the house. Big deal.
    He was still in contention for a spot on the Gold Coast card and from there had a chance to impress and get a contract. But after talking about going home, I wouldn’t be interested if I was Joe Silva.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Lambasted

When does this show air? Ive tried to record it twice with UPC but its the car win v nelson one

Lambasted wrote: »
    When does this show air? Ive tried to record it twice with UPC but its the car win v nelson one
    They are both airing at same time. You prob need to record it on a different day.
    It's weds night here in oz, and i'm pretty sure its weds at home too. ESPN at midnight.

• Advertisement

Oul Stormin Norman had a close call there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Oul Stormin Norman had a close call there!

Sure did. They were very stupid in fairness. There may be more to come out of that judging by the way it was edited (others involved who didn't own up and maybe even 1 from the other side....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

dana seems to be gone a bit soft. i thought a serious breach of the rules like that would warrant expulsion from the competition.

are they really that thick though? they know the deal before they enter the house - if they cant manage they shouldnt put themselves forward in the first place. surely they know theres cameras everywhere no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Dana should have gone all Joe Duffy on Norman:D

I think the only reason they survived was because it would wreck the competition if they all got the boot.

Bringing in replacements at that stage would have been crap.

Freak show hit the nail on the head when he said he would have avoided the phone like it was a live grenade. Freaky as he is, Colin is the most sensible and likeable guy in there I think.

sonic85 wrote: »
    are they really that thick though? they know the deal before they enter the house - if they cant manage they shouldnt put themselves forward in the first place. surely they know theres cameras everywhere no?
    It wasnt clear if the neighbour offered it to them and they just said why not or if they went out looking for a phone.
    I don't think anyone would try to sneak a phone in. But It was just a case of the oportunity came up when they were already out of the comp.
    Norman and Brendan were just given the chance to text and took it without thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I know the UFC are concerned with keeping the results private but at the same time I think the contact with the outside world rule is a bit back dated and a bit 'Big Brother'. I'm not saying what the lads did was right but I just think the rule is a bit stupid. As big a contract they sign they obviously tell their family when they get out how they've done. Hope the UFC scrap the rule.

Not a huge fan of TUF but I usually watch at least one a year. Think Norman is doing very well and don't see why he can't win it. Was impressed with Wilkinson this week. Does anyone know if his fight with Moore is online anywhere? I'd love to see it. No shame in Brian or Artem having lost to him. Seems well rounded and has a very impressive record.

Good episode. Coaches challange and a very good semi final fight. I won't say any more as it won't air for a few hours in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ggv

not on here untill friday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Its on ESPN in Ireland at 2AM tonight

was looking at my sky box last night not recording it until fri night must check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Niall0 wrote: »
    Its on ESPN in Ireland at 2AM tonight

There is football on. There was a live match which overran but when that finished more football came on :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

its on espn at 2.30 on friday night

• Advertisement

More people need to read this thread.
    Great achievement for Norman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

More people need to read this thread.

Not sure its been aired here yet, was usually on wednesday's i think but now it seems it won't be on ESPN until late n friday / saturday morning.

Watched it on youtube yesterday and
    I have to say I was delighted to see Norman go through. I think he looks a better fighter than the English lad left in it and he's already comprehensively beaten the aussie so he's got a great chance of winning in the finale now.

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Watched it on youtube yesterday and
    I have to say I was delighted to see Norman go through. I think he looks a better fighter than the English lad left in it and he's already comprehensively beaten the aussie so he's got a great chance of winning in the finale now.

To be fair, we haven't seen much of the Freakshow to judge. I can only go on the fact that Ross listed Norman as his best lightweight during the first week of training. Richie Vas is god, but he isn't a 155er. He'll be fighting at 145 or even 135 on the finale imo.

I hope Freakshow wins and comes to weigh-ins as "Russel Mandingo", to give the uk vrs uk match up a bit of a aussie v uk spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

I remember first seeing Freakshow on BAMMA 8 when David Round absolutely rag-dolled him for a two minutes until he caught him in a gillo. Think he came out to the ring as your man from Saw that night so very difficult to forget him. Think he looked better against Ball and in his quarter final fight. Good stand-up, lanky with decent jits. Very likeable guy but could imagine him being destroyed by good wrestlers. Congrats to Norman and I'd fancy him in the finale against either.

I can only go on the fact that Ross listed Norman as his best lightweight during the first week of training.

He also named Freakshow as one of the most underrated hot prospects in the UK during the Q&A session before UFC in Nottingham.

• Advertisement
Advertisement