Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Boxing at London Olympics Superthread - July 28-August 12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

paulgeog wrote: »
    Katie Taylor has won the Best Woman boxer award for London 2012. The "Valerie Barker Award" if you will. Fantastic!

http://www.proboxing-fans.com/katie-taylor-wins-best-womens-boxer-at-olympics-award_080912/

What are the odds this becomes the Katie Taylor Award? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

This is a nice little fan's view video - Barry McGuigan thinks/knows she won it right at the final bell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

I hate to ruin the parade but you Val Barker trophy goes to the best pound for pound boxer in the Olympics. There is no stipulation that it has to be a man or women. So in theory the award could go to a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

unknown13 wrote: »
    I hate to ruin the parade but you Val Barker trophy goes to the best pound for pound boxer in the Olympics. There is no stipulation that it has to be a man or women. So in theory the award could go to a woman.

Then they'll just give her that one too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

unknown13 wrote: »

There was no need for stipulation before this year, I'd imagine they've separated it into two awards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just a word about the 17- year-old American boxer, she is very talented and packs quite a punch too. That was some scrap she had with the Russian today!
    How good will she be in fours years time!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Just a word about the 17- year-old American boxer, she is very talented and packs quite a punch too. That was some scrap she had with the Russian today!

She will be a serious talent but one big problem. She fights at the highest weight division in the olympics and unless they bring in a heavier division. She may not be coming back to defend the title because she can no longer make the weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Good enough to be sparking people out in World title defences as a pro if she chooses. The Americans generally aren't fond of keeping their guys amateur (except Raushee Warren), but I dunno what the case will be as far as women go.
    That girl could make very good money as a pro, and sure holding on for Rio to try and win Gold again and turning pro at 21 wouldn't do her any harm. But I don't think she comes from a very privileged background, so the quick access to money that signing a professional deal could provide may lure too attractive for her and her family.

If I was to bet on it I'd say she'll go pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

walshb wrote: »
    :confused:

Where did I begruge Barnes anything? It's not my fault he has no deal. Best of luck if he gets one. Why are you so cut up about this?

"BTW, when Paddy Barnes wins 4 world titles and 4 European titles maybe then he will get that sponsorhip deal." Your words not mine, sounds very like you dont see him fit as being appropriately deserving of sponsorship, mabey you should qualify this comment ot withdraw it as it is very unfair on someone who has served theor country & sport so admirably.
    titan18 wrote: »
    Separate stuff, that 10.9 million is 25% of the whole budget, the high performance part is 24% which boxing does quite well in.

Titan, if you are going to quote financials please dont misrepresent them as you are making statements which are misleading. The whole budget as you say covers the entire funding of the sports council and quite a lot of this is taken up with central administration costs, IRFU/GAA/FAI, Local Sports Programmes etc etc. The "core grant funding" is the lifeblood of all of the individual sporting bodies, it is these funds which promote the sport at a grassroots level and boxing gets 3% of the pie FACT. This is the very reason why boxing can not afford an adequate number of development officers, its also the reason why boxing gyms are inadequately resourced and why many are in a very poor state of repair with poor facilities, compare for example your average gym with your average athletics club or hockey club. You have missed my point entirely, why should an elitest sport like Horse Sport Ireland get twice the funding as the IABA, its wrong on so many levels, the money would be better spent in underprivilaged areas keeping kids off the streets and this is before you even consider the sporting success which boxing has enjoyed in recent decades and what it adds to irish society and culture, the feel good factor right now is worth multiples of the paltry 352,000 allocated to amateur boxing this year.
    We all love the sport, and on this day of all days I don't think the thread should derail into some kind of pissing contest.

Some of us appear to be ignorant of the inequality in how the core funding is apportioned, and some of us dont appear to really give a damn about the fact that historically our boxers have been poorly rewarded by corporate ireland and our national bodies after achieving success, just compare Ronnie Delaney, Eamonn Coughlan, Sonia OSullivan etc etc to Michael Carruth et all... other sporting bodies nurcher their heroes, why is boxing so different??? Its not a pissing contest its something which is morally wrong and if it is not addressed it could impact on the ability of the sport to attract and keep the next generation of future heroes. Why today of all days.....because it is relevant today!!!!!! todays news is tomorrows chipper paper and just watch how the 3 lads will be bypassed by those corporate sponsorships in the months to come...
    Did you hear Barnes' interview after his win last night? Anything stand out in it for you?

Getting a deal isn't just about your sports success. Image, character and how you carry yourself is also very important.

Yep he came across very much as someone with a winners attitude, we have had more talented boxers in the past who would have gone further if they had the attitude he has. I agree though that he is not highly marketable BUT look at Katie Taylor, a marketeers dream and she only attracted sponsors in the last 1-2 years.

I know my post is long winded but my point is the amateur sport of boxing & the superstars of our amateur game are very badly treated by govt funds, national broadcaster & corporate ireland. if any of us have any love for the future of the sport and any RESPECT for those making huge sacrafices with very little financial reward we need to recognise this. We have a golden generation and it shouldnt be allowed to pass by without CHANGE. Have a read of this very recent interview with Pete Taylor only 9 short months ago and it will give you a flavour of frustrations he felt then and I bet that this is a very toned down script of what he really wanted to say.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/1103/1224306977894.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Christ Alan, it's worth debating but could you create a separate thread for it? It'll just flood the Olympics thread with talk about a related but non-current issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

alanceltic wrote: »

Titan, if you are going to quote financials please dont misrepresent them as you are making statements which are misleading. The whole budget as you say covers the entire funding of the sports council and quite a lot of this is taken up with central administration costs, IRFU/GAA/FAI, Local Sports Programmes etc etc. The "core grant funding" is the lifeblood of all of the individual sporting bodies, it is these funds which promote the sport at a grassroots level and boxing gets 3% of the pie FACT. This is the very reason why boxing can not afford an adequate number of development officers, its also the reason why boxing gyms are inadequately resourced and why many are in a very poor state of repair with poor facilities, compare for example your average gym with your average athletics club or hockey club. You have missed my point entirely, why should an elitest sport like Horse Sport Ireland get twice the funding as the IABA, its wrong on so many levels, the money would be better spent in underprivilaged areas keeping kids off the streets and this is before you even consider the sporting success which boxing has enjoyed in recent decades and what it adds to irish society and culture, the feel good factor right now is worth multiples of the paltry 352,000 allocated to amateur boxing this year.

Your original argument was that Taylor and the other boxers aren't funded well. Whilst they're not funded well(no one is), more money is put into the high performance program than most sports (other than athletics) and boxers get more money in individual grants than other sports, due to a bunch of them being capable of doing well,as seen now. The 352,000 is what's allocated to the IABA.

Also, don't see how the statement I made is misleading, you linked to the document on it. Right down the bottom, there's a nice pie chart which shows that the NGB core funding is 25% of the budget and the high performance stuff is 24%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone got a link to the fight, i missed it yesterday because of the time difference in Auz. Would love to watch it. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

zweton wrote: »
    Anyone got a link to the fight, i missed it yesterday because of the time difference in Auz. Would love to watch it. Thanks

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

Scroll through the different sports and you'll find a link to it. Every sport is up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Thanks but cant view it here from Sydney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Thanks but cant view it here from Sydney.

Can you watch RTE player from there?

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=10040833

Here you go. Not great quality though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC03Tz-IlP0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

I hope Paddy Barnes gets even half this fanfare if he wins gold...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Godot. wrote: »
    I hope Paddy Barnes gets even half this fanfare if he wins gold...

He'll certainly deserve it if he gets past tonight's fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I would just like to add also.
    Fair Play to the people in Sandy Row who stepped up to the plate, displayed the Irish Tricolour, watched the match on in a Bar on the TV and cheered Katie on!
    That's what it's all about and the bottom-line is, irrespective if they are from North or South, the individual athletes, are out there, putting their wee hearts into it for us all!

He'll certainly deserve it if he gets past tonight's fight

I thought he was fighting this afternoon at 1:30?? Is Conlon not the one fighting this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I thought he was fighting this afternoon at 1:30?? Is Conlon not the one fighting this evening?

Yeah Conlon this evening, the other two this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

And, alan, why is everything so personal with you? Sometimes we disagree, no need to be so aggressive in responding ("Shame on you!!!!!!!!"). We all love the sport, and on this day of all days I don't think the thread should derail into some kind of pissing contest.

I agree, Alan it's all too personal and aggressive so take a chill pill and back off-what should be real positive your making negative.
    "BTW, when Paddy Barnes wins 4 world titles and 4 European titles maybe then he will get that sponsorhip deal." Your words not mine, sounds very like you dont see him fit as being appropriately deserving of sponsorship, mabey you should qualify this comment ot withdraw it as it is very unfair on someone who has served theor country & sport so admirably.

Again, just lay off, who sponsors who is down to company's and not the granting scheme, most are on the max allocation so there can be no complaints there, As far as Corporate sponsorship goes it would be nice to see more dished out but again that's Companies business and maybe they should be challenged.

40K for doing what I done for free while working a personal training job is not too bad, so as much as I want them to get everything possible just remember there are others out there training as hard and harder for free, when I boxed I trained 3 times most days and on a quiet day 2 times aswell as work.

So just a bit of perspective there.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Just read/heard some recent comments from Ochigava concerning Taylor.

"Maybe if Ireland weren't spending all their money on bribing judges they wouldn't be in a recession," or words to those effect.

What a disgraceful remark to make; and I take it back, she was a real sore loser yesterday looking at her on that podium. I was prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt but when you look at her actions and read her remarks then the only conclusion is that she is an out and out sore loser.

Katie still had the class and dignity to praise her. Katie was told about the comments Sofya made a couple of days ago in reference to the scoring and judges and Katie said she was surprised by them as Sofya is a friend and a nice person. Well, Katie was being Katie. Classy. Sofya is not a nice person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

this 40k tax free? i presume it is. thats about 70k working, if it is. id have no prob giving them more tho.

facilities in our club are so basic, it really wouldnt take a lot more funding to give us a good place with more than 5 bags, that would attract kids more, their expectations are higher now, they see floyds gym on tv, swimming clubs facilities, astro pitches, and imagine sth more than a basic hall, - also many running and gaa clubs have physios available at lower prices ... yet boxing clubs still manage to have two or three coaches for each kids training session, still manage to get results, it would be good if more money came to reward the great return, all clubs deserve some appreciation for these medals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

"Maybe if Ireland weren't spending all their money on bribing judges they wouldn't be in a recession," or words to those effect.

What a disgraceful remark to make; and I take it back, she was a real sore loser yesterday looking at her on that podium. I was prepared to give her the benefit of the doubt but when you look at her actions and read her remarks then the only conclusion is that she is an out and out sore loser.

Katie still had the class and dignity to praise her. Katie was told about the comments Sofya made a couple of days ago in reference to the scoring and judges and Katie said she was surprised by them as Sofya is a friend and a nice person. Well, Katie was being Katie. Classy. Sofya is not a nice person.
    shes a funny ol fish ochigava, looked like a real sullen schoolgirl there, not sure if she said all those comments, but she did loosen up a bit and shared a joke with katie - losing a final and having to come out with a big smile.15 minutes later is the hardest position to be in,.at least bronze medallists have had a chance to shower and get over it a bit. thought chorieva looked great btw in tajik dress.

Agreed, not very nice at all. She also spat on the podium during the anthem which I'm sure Katie noticed. Some Irish fans and Jimmy Magee were not happy about the booing but she deserved it.

Agreed, not very nice at all. She also spat on the podium during the anthem which I'm sure Katie noticed. Some Irish fans and Jimmy Magee were not happy about the booing but she deserved it.

Been honest she is a nasty bitter piece of work-she lost fair and square and just tried to make it out that she was robbed, her comments before where awful and her petulance during seminar and not even been happy getting the silver stinked.

It's OK to be dissapointed but this was not dissapointment.

Anyway, We're better off leaving her as she is below Katie on every level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Advertisement

really?! thats ridiculous so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Also, tell me why she accepted a sponsorship from Sky Sports and tell me why RTE never ever offered her a red cent, EVER.
    Well RTE did take advantage of her image by having her on panels and paying her for that.
    Shame on you!!!!!!!! Our most decorated olympian in a long time and he is resorted to a fcuking cardboard sign at the opening ceremony and you would begrudge him a few quid sponsorship or a higher grant.

Its not like Barnes has no sponsorship. It was just a stunt to get more. The Titanic center in Belfast does sponsor him and he got a new sponsorship deal with McLean Bookmakers after the sign stunt. No begrudgery from me fair play with him getting the extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Have a bad feeling about this Paddy Barnes fight today, think he will lose unfortunately by 5pts.

Really hope I'm wrong and he has been inspired by Katie Taylor winning gold yest!

Have a bad feeling about this Paddy Barnes fight today, think he will lose unfortunately by 5pts.

Yeah he really has a difficult task:( Zou is a quality fighter. Nevin has the best chance of the trio to progress in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

endswell wrote: »
    really?! thats ridiculous so

Just to be clear I didn't post about Ochigava spitting. But, if she did, well, it just adds to it. She behaved badly before and after the fight. Whatever excuses folks want to make for her podium behaviour is one thing, but one cannot excuse her pre fight comments.

Enough about her. It was Katie's day!

Something weird with the quoting on the forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

Arena is like a morgue at the moment compared to yesterday.

Fingers crossed today, the lads will need to be at their very best and need everything going their way.

• Advertisement

OK iv tucked the soapboax away, cmon paddy give him hell.

Would we be happy with 1 through to the finals within the next hour? i would

rovert wrote: »

I'm sure there would'nt be anyone prouder than Darren right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

Hard to see how paddy can pin this guy down. Would love to see it, he had a great quarter final, but he was wrecked by the third.. gonna need a super human effort to stay in the fight until the third.

If he can get a bit of an opening in the first it'll give him hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

hey - any text streams available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

stream please anyone?

(edit: Rte down again...

edit2: nvr mnd, back.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

edit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Rte stream is ****e

scoring a bit genourous for the china man, i thought 1 point in it, Barnes covering up well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

8-5 to china... higher scores than i thought.. paddy executing a good plan.. keeping the gloves up & trying to drive in close. Got a bit angered and off plan mid round and swung too much & got caught with some nice stuff in reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Unlucky to be so far down. Still giving it a good rattle.

8-5

Thought 6-5 myself, but I'm biased of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Chinese bloke not even throwing a punch this round just pushing him away ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pauldoo

RTE have made a balls of this streaming

Jimmy needs to be retired, talks some amount of ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Very good effort from Barnes, needs a big last round though, not sure he can do it.

this is great

• Advertisement
Advertisement