Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Boxing at London Olympics Superthread - July 28-August 12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it really was an incredible performance from Nevin. He outboxed the Cuban, who is a classy boxer himself. The only negative is the silly stuff, he should get a good telling off for that from the coaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

strobe wrote: »
    Any clear shot to the head or torso connecting with the knuckle part of the glove 'should' be scored as a hit. The Cuban should have picked up 3 or 4 points for that, there are ongoing problems with judges not scoring every point worthy shot in a good combo unfortunately.

..should add that the punches need to have sufficient power to be deemed scores. tippy tappy shots don't score

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

JJ Nevin - very well done great performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Any clear shot to the head or torso connecting with the knuckle part of the glove 'should' be scored as a hit. The Cuban should have picked up 3 or 4 points for that (actually perhaps he did??), but there are ongoing problems with judges not scoring every point worthy shot in a good combo unfortunately.

So power doesn't matter. Even when 2 guys are hugging and one makes light contact with the knuckle part of the glove, it counts?

Edit: Just saw paulgeog's post there. Power does indeed matter. I thought so.

Very subjective though isn't it?

And how do they tot up the scores so fast after the bell? In pro boxing it seems to take forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

menoscemo wrote: »
    I can't see where the Cuban got 3 pts in the first Round.
    i had it 5-1 to JJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

moneyman wrote: »
    19-14 final score.

Am I the only one that thinks John Joe is a bit of a genius? He is so skilled, so smooth, so intelligent. I'd absolutely love for him to get a gold.

You're not the only one. I've been raving about him for a few years now on these very boards and actually there'a post earlier in this thread where I was astonished that nobody had mentioned Nevin as being our best male medal hope, when IMO he's ALWAYS our best medal hope.

Brilliant display of how to hit and not be hit - the ART of boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In the rules are the referees entitled to give a public warning straight away for any showboating antics? I believe they are. If so, Nevin needs a good kick up the arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

John Joe actually resembled Floyd in that fight with the fast, straight right hand along with the difficulty he presented in getting hit.

Well done John Joe, great fight. The bit of showboating was risky business against the world champion of all people but i think he had a considerable lead built up at that stage.

It'll teach him a valuable lesson ahead of the gold medal fight tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I thought the Cuban won the last round but Nevin overall was making the better cleaner stronger shots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Last 2 questions:

What is a standing count? what does it mean? does the other fighter get a point for that?

and

How does countback work?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Campbell is 11-6 after 2 rounds, although they are no easy fights JJN's side of the draw was about 100 times harder than Campbells.

Ireland vs. England tomorrow in a gold medal bout in "fighting." You couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Any clear shot to the head or torso connecting with the knuckle part of the glove 'should' be scored as a hit. The Cuban should have picked up 3 or 4 points for that (actually perhaps he did??), but there are ongoing problems with judges not scoring every point worthy shot in a good combo unfortunately.

Am i right in saying that all judges have to push the button(at the same time) for a point to register ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Sensational stuff.

Jeez I can't wait for Conlan's fight later on. Wish it was on in a few minutes and not at 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

megadodge wrote: »
    You're not the only one. I've been raving about him for a few years now on these very boards and actually there'a post earlier in this thread where I was astonished that nobody had mentioned Nevin as being our best male medal hope, when IMO he's ALWAYS our best medal hope.

Brilliant display of how to hit and not be hit - the ART of boxing.

not bigging myself up, but i did state twice I felt he had the best chance of the trio left to progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

gonna be another ireland vs britain battle for the final... I hope the Irish are as loud for john joe because he deserves it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I thought the Cuban won the last round but Nevin overall was making the better cleaner stronger shots.

I don't think he did tbh. I thought for the first two minutes of the third the Cuban got desperate and lost focus, and Nevin picked up 4 or 5 "easy" points. The Cuban was scoring better when he boxed rather than fought. Last minute he won 3 or 4-0 alright. I say easy because he didn't have to work in for them, the Cuban was a sitting duck 2 and half feet away.

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Am i right in saying that all judges have to push the button(at the same time) for a point to register ?

Within one second of each other. I believe it's three of the 5? Used to be anyway. Maybe changed to all 5.

JJN and Campbell meet at 2045 hrs tomorrow night. Roll on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

As far as I know 3 of the 5 judges have to score the shot within a second of it. Something like that. Mick Dowling explained countback there. The scores of the 3 judges with the closest scores is first taken into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just found out there that the final is on at 8.45 tomorrow.

We're playing in a soccer tournament tomorrow from 9.30 in the morning until 8 at night. A small part of my heart sank when I found out he'd gotten in because I thought I'd miss it. Over the moon now. Will just about make it home in time to watch it and hopefully witness a bit history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

The fitness levels and concentration shown by the Boxers in this tournament has been amazing.
    My untrained eye seems to see Irish fighters go into a different level in the final minute of round 3. It might be to throw the extra punches needed or to get out fast. Then a minute or so later they are able to talk like they were just out for a walk.
    Great stuff from all the Boxing Team .

This is going to be brilliant! Hopefully revenge for JJN after the World Championships losing on countback to Campbell. I'd make JJN favourite he has been so impressive this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

walshb wrote: »
    Ireland vs. England tomorrow in a gold medal bout in "fighting." You couldn't make it up!

JJ is fighting a Brit in the final ???

Within one second of each other. I believe it's three of the 5? Used to be anyway. Maybe changed to all 5.

That's gone!

Now they judge it individually and at the end of each round the highest and lowest scores out of the five judges are eliminated and the remaining three are averaged out to give the 'actual' score.

That within 1 second system is gone. Judges press a red or blue button on keypad when they see a clean score. The most similar 3 scores out of the 5 judges are the accepted scores and are averaged to give the round score to the nearest (whole number). The scores are calculated instantaneously with the computer system.

This case from the Olympics explains the countback very well.

http://www.iaba.ie/aiba-precision-with-regards-to-bout-118/

No that's gone. Now the two Judges scores that are most out are discounted and the remaining three judges scores are averaged

JJ is fighting a Brit in the final ???

Yeah,

JJN V Luke Campbell tomorrow.

• Advertisement

That's gone!

Now they judge it individually and at the end of each round the highest and lowest scores out of the five judges are eliminated and the remaining three are averaged out to give the 'actual' score.

That's right. I had a feeling the old system was gone.

Have to say Paddy's opponent Zou is a classy stylish boxer and that first round from him was immense. Felt though Fitness wise Paddy was far superior and id have arguably given Paddy the drawn second round by a point. Still he can be happy he put the olympic champion and 3 time world champion to the pin of his collar. its an indication of how far irish amateur boxing has come, even since Beijing 4 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

murpho999 wrote: »
    endswell wrote: »
    different timezone

Ah right...so the John Joe Nevin hasn't happened there yet.....silly me!
    another 2 weeks i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

By the 10-point system that's likely to be in place by Rio 16 Paddy won that fight quite easily. I'd also agree I don't know how Paddy only scored three points in the second round.

Them's the breaks, sadly.

Have to say my heart went out to Paddy Barnes.

So close and so bloody far. I felt the scoring in the first two rounds was fair and I honestly think the fight was lost in the second, when there was very little action as Zou was obviously tiring from the middle of it, but Paddy didn't seem to notice and only put his charge in for the entire third round. If he had started that charge in the middle of the second, I honestly think Zou's legs couldn't take it. He was nearly exhausted as it was.

As far as I know 3 of the 5 judges have to score the shot within a second of it. Something like that. Mick Dowling explained countback there. The scores of the 3 judges with the closest scores is first taken into account.

Mick Dowling was talking nonsense there. Mixing up countback and double countback as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

alanceltic wrote: »
    endswell wrote: »
    different timezone

Oh yeah that explains, so in how many hours time do you think those in Oz will see the fight...... unreal......
    the fight happened yesterday in oz

That's gone!

Mega dodge just to highlight its not necessarily the highest and lowest - its the three most common that count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Nevin is by far and away our best male boxer. So much class, ring intelligence and beautiful footwork. Pure poetry in motion, he makes boxing look like an art.

Have to say my heart went out to Paddy Barnes.

So close and so bloody far. I felt the scoring in the first two rounds was fair and I honestly think the fight was lost in the second, when there was very little action as Zou was obviously tiring from the middle of it, but Paddy didn't seem to notice and only put his charge in for the entire third round. If he had started that charge in the middle of the second, I honestly think Zou's legs couldn't take it. He was nearly exhausted as it was.

I have to say Paddy was all out at the end of the third. I don't think anyone can say he didn't give every ounce of effort in there and some more. If he started brawling in the middle of the second Zhou would have picked him off easier in the third... I think.

As Paddy said himself he gave him a lead in the first soft enough and he couldn't overturn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

efb wrote: »
    Mega dodge just to highlight its not necessarily the highest and lowest - its the three most common that count

it is the highest and lowest removed, I was on the course for the scores when it was introduced, the highest and lowest is to remove bad judging of too m uch or too little, in theory it cant be cheated!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »

Genuine question - how does that differ from eliminating the highest and lowest?

By eliminating both you're left with the other three ie. the three most common.

Great fight on the cards now I think. The LWW Mongolian is due in. Great fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Genuine question - how does that differ from eliminating the highest and lowest?

Well not in all cases. If it was the three most common you could end up with a situation like this

Judge 1: 12 - 12
    Judge 2: 13 - 13
    Judge 3: 18 - 24
    Judge 4: 18 - 24
    Judge 5: 18 - 24

So the three most common are also the three highest and the lowest two are knocked off.
    So knocking of the top and bottom score means instead of the score being 18 - 24 it would be 16 - 20. (or thereabouts, should have used smaller numbers)

From the AIBA rules and regulations:

SCORING METHOD

Per round, each Individual Score is counted.
    The scores in each round are the average of three Judges’ score combination which are the closest together called as Similar Scores.
    For each round, the results of the Individual Scores are calculated separately for the red Boxer and the blue Boxer.
    If at the end of a round more than one Similar Score appears, the Trimmed Mean calculation will apply. The Trimmed Mean is when the highest and lowest Individual Scores are taken out and the average of the remaining three Individual Scores is counted.

5-4, 4-3, 5-4, 4-2, 5-4

Highest and lowest gone
    5-4, 4-3, 5-4, 4-2, 5-4

Three most common kept
    5-4, 4-3, 4-4, 4-2, 5-4

I think that's it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

paulgeog wrote: »
    From the AIBA rules and regulations:

SCORING METHOD

Per round, each Individual Score is counted.
    The scores in each round are the average of three Judges’ score combination which are the closest together called as Similar Scores.
    For each round, the results of the Individual Scores are calculated separately for the red Boxer and the blue Boxer.
    If at the end of a round more than one Similar Score appears, the Trimmed Mean calculation will apply. The Trimmed Mean is when the highest and lowest Individual Scores are taken out and the average of the remaining three Individual Scores is counted.

For additional information please contact the Maths department at Trinity!:)

This Mongolian LWW is great. Pacquiao like!

For additional information please contact the Maths department at Trinity!:)

Haha. They actually programmed the software that works it all out! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

How did Sotolongo look? He's probbaly my favourite non-Irish boxer in this.

Great fight on the cards now I think. The LWW Mongolian is due in. Great fighter.

What a fight! what a last round!

• Advertisement
Advertisement