Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Boxing at London Olympics Superthread - July 28-August 12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The poor Mongolian got an absolute battering in that last round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

cowzerp wrote: »
    it is the highest and lowest removed, I was on the course for the scores when it was introduced, the highest and lowest is to remove bad judging of too m uch or too little, in theory it cant be cheated!!

I think I was explained already but its not necessarily the highest and lowest.

I'm not trying to have a go at anyone just trying to explain the scoring system and the common misbeliefs associated with it.

I think the 10 point scoring system leaves fair to much to individual interpretation and you can have Souel farces. But as we've seen no system is 100% without controversy

17-6 in one round. Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

walshb wrote: »
    This Mongolian LWW is great. Pacquiao like!
    ukrainian landed some serious head shots there

How did Sotolongo look? He's probbaly my favourite non-Irish boxer in this.

Very impressive, won as he liked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Berinchyk is an absolute animal!!

I mentioned him here when he had a WAR with a Swede and wondered could all these tough fights (same in the Worlds) come back to haunt him, but boy he just keeps coming. Brilliant to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The way we where told it was was really simple!

judges scores
    red

blue

removed as they are over and underscoring and the remaining are averaged, in this 1, red 13 blue 10 after the round.

in theory both lads can be scored on separate systems and it's decided by the computer, the other scoring system is complicated and been honest i forget it!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Johner wrote: »
    The poor Mongolian got an absolute battering in that last round.

Hell of a fight. One of the best fights I have ever seen. The Mongolian also fought so so well in rd 3. He landed a lot more than 6 I thought.

Agogo on now, don't really know how he is in a semi final of the Olympic, havent been impressed with him.

• Advertisement

Ogogo up now. Rd 1 underway

cowzerp wrote: »
    The way we where told it was was really simple!

judges scores
    red

blue

removed as they are over and underscoring and the remaining are averaged, in this 1, red 13 blue 10 after the round.

in theory both lads can be scored on separate systems and it's decided by the computer, the other scoring system is complicated and been honest i forget it!!

That leads to problems when people are given different understandings of a complex system- I was explaining it to a few coaches at the National Boys Championships and there was still confusion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

Agogo having trouble getting inside

Good round for the Brazilian, 9-6 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Paddy Barnes ‏@paddyb_ireland
    @johnJoeNevin deserves the VAL BARKER best boxer award! #worldclass

And I really think he's not too far off it. An impressive performance in the final should mean he's near the top of most peoples' lists.

9-6 down

• Advertisement

Ogogo just got dropped at the start of the last! big ask now.

in big trouble now.. hard to see him come back

endswell wrote: »
    9-6 down
    gona be a ko!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

The scoring system gives the most average (mean) score possible from the scores of all 5 judges, from either of 2 possible ways, similar score or trimmed mean score. It uses statistical maths to find this average and is very complicated to those with no degree in mathematics.

We won't have to worry about it muckh longer as they plan to bring in 10 point must "professional scoring" in line with AIBA Pro Boxing. We judges will all have to get trained in again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/computerized-scoring-system-is-on-the-way-out-of-amateur-boxing-aiba-chief-says/2012/08/09/63ba61b0-e237-11e1-89f7-76e23a982d06_story.html

Ogogo got a bit of hiding in that last round!

• Advertisement

ogogo did well to come out of that in end

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Khrytov against Falcao would have been another cracker in the semi. It was such a shame he was robbed against Ogogo who is completely overhyped.

Berinchyk is an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

Ireland currently top of the boxing medals table (Ok, joint top with US and UK).
    Ireland in with a decent chance of finishing top if Nevin beats Campbell in the final.
    It's between UK, Ireland and Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

Ireland currently top of the boxing medals table (Ok, joint top with US and UK).
    Ireland in with a decent chance of finishing top if Nevin beats Campbell in the final.
    It's between UK, Ireland and Ukraine.

Russia?

They just said Murata has been trailing going into the last round of every bout so far at the Olympics! He won again 13-12!

Usyk landing some crackers

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Orla99

Great boxing.

impressive stuff... should be docked a few points for that haircut though!!

Neither of these bastards deserves even to be here(Russo & mamadov)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Listening to Kahn on BBC a while ago. He knows Nevin, and has roomed with Campbell for years. Rather boldly said "Campbell is the more skillful fighter, has the better technique and is the all-round better boxer".

I hope he eats his words. I think he will have to, as I fancy Nevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

paulgeog wrote: »
    Russia?

Russia guaranteed to win the most medals (6) but already 3 of those are non-gold. Ukraine are guaranteed 5 medals, 2 of the 5 in the finals already and 3 still to fight their semis.

6-4... joke. judges not counting the body shots, even though they nearly finished him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

How could that round have been 6-4 with 2 knockdowns ??????

The plot has been lost here.

Fizman wrote: »
    Listening to Kahn on BBC a while ago. He knows Nevin, and has roomed with Campbell for years. Rather boldly said "Campbell is the more skillful fighter, has the better technique and is the all-round better boxer".

Campbell is quality. Nevin will be up against it, but can so win. That lead right hand for Nevin could be the punch. It will be a very tight fight. Campbell won't land near as much tomorrow as he did today. Needs to keep Campbell on the move all the time. Don't let Campbell get in a ryhthym. Make Campbell follow him all night long.

Russo landed a couple of them big lefts but a few of them are just coming around the back of the head.. yer one was doing that on Katie too yesterday with her right

i hope the ukrainan batters whoever wins it

...russo

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

Is this the guy who the Azeris bought the medal for?

Edit: Apparently not.

Fizman wrote: »

Campbell is quality. Nevin will be up against it, but can so win. That lead right hand for Nevin could be the punch. It will be a very tight fight. Campbell won't land near as much tomorrow as he did today. Needs to keep Campbell on the move all the time. Don't let Campbell get in a ryhthym. Make Campbell follow him all night long.

campbells timing is great and hes got good power too. think it was ken that said it that he might be a bit more jaded after todays fight.

Disturbing judging there.

• Advertisement

amir khan / oliver kahn. sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I know he's a decent fighter but on the evidence of his fight with the Japanese i think Campbell is up against it. He's not hit easily hit (good guard, clever at tying people up) but i don't think he's as accurate a puncher as Nevin is. The Japanese fighters head couldn't have been more stationary and still he was ragged enough. If Nevin effectively keeps the distance like he did against Estrada i can see only one winner. Hope i'm right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Agogo on now, don't really know how he is in a semi final of the Olympic, havent been impressed with him.

Subway roll with chicken teriyaki and no jalapenos = the diet of an Olympic semi-finalist

He's got a sensitive mou' owright!!!

So Ogogo won his fight on Double count back- those judges must like Subway vouchers! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I RECKON THIS WELL BE EASY FOR NEVIN TO CLASSY FOR HIS OPPONENT

• Advertisement

barney4001 wrote: »

Easy?

Campbell is a world silver medalist who beat JJN in the worlds last year. Local hometown fighter too. I think it's a toss up. I would bet on Nevin but I am not at all close to confident.

I reckon Campbell has the edge (UK boxer at home) but its rasor thin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

so whats next for paddy barnes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

barney4001 wrote: »

Nothing is easy in boxing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Falcao is an absolute beast. I hope he gets gold and I hope he turns pro, he can be one of the best in the world IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement