Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Boxing at London Olympics Superthread - July 28-August 12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

He's got a sensitive mou' owright!!!

It's one of my favourite ads around. He sounds like such a nob saying it all.

Imagine an Olympic boxer saying on national television that he has a sensitive mouth, and then having it repeated on every channel for two months solid. Don't know what was going through his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

moneyman wrote: »
    Falcao is an absolute beast. I hope he gets gold and I hope he turns pro, he can be one of the best in the world IMO.

He seems very flat footed and lumbering. If he turned pro, he'd be in with serious operators like Sergio Martinez who would have no problems whatsoever with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

He seems very flat footed and lumbering. If he turned pro, he'd be in with serious operators like Sergio Martinez who would have no problems whatsoever with him.

Martinez will most likely be gone by that time. Plus, he would be a pro, and will develop as a pro. He won't be still fighting as he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Anyone think there will be the same sort of reaction if Nevin wins gold?

Godot. wrote: »

He will get a hell of a lot of coverage too. There will be a different reaction due to the whole nature of the two events. Katie has been touted for this for years now. The pressure on her was immense. She was the girl, the star, the best of the best. Nevin was not the favourite, and apart from the boxing fan nobody would have really heard of him. Taylor has been a household name for several years now; a global name too. Nevin's win will be a surprise in a sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

What time is Conlon's fight at lads? I have to do something for my mother-in-law but don't want to miss the fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

nkay1985 wrote: »
    What time is Conlon's fight at lads? I have to do something for my mother-in-law but don't want to miss the fight.
    20:45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Godot. wrote: »

No disrespect to Katie, whose achievements speak for themselves, but Nevin winning gold would mean more to me personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

This isn't really relevant now, but does anyone know if Nevin has plans to go professional after this? I think he's a smashing boxer, very gifted. Our best male boxer in some time.

No disrespect to Katie, whose achievements speak for themselves, but Nevin winning gold would mean more to me personally.

Shame on you!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

nkay1985 wrote: »

Sounds interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

walshb wrote: »

Shame on you!:)

finishin top of the boxing medals table would the best tho!

endswell wrote: »

I'm just pissed that Paddy didn't get in today. Thought he won that bout!

I'm just pissed that Paddy didn't get in today. Thought he won that bout!
    absolutely, so gutted for him. think he could have a crack at pro game?

absolutely, so gutted for him. think he could have a crack at pro game?

Not sure he will go pro. Rio 2016? Barnes to me in this tournament was faster, stronger and heavier handed than in Beijing. A better fighter in all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Nyambayar leads the Russian number 1 seed Misha in the other semi final, going into the last round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Defiantly. Nevin deserves it.

Reigning World champ and number one seed not going to the final

Nyambayar will fight the winner of Conlon and the Cuban, very surprised

He has accounted for the 4th and 5th seed in fairness, only 20 years old, very talented lad but fully expected Misha to progress

Interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

Really looking forward to this one, more so than the rest for some reason and cant wait for his post fight interview lol

• Advertisement

Mongolian deserved that. Wasn't overly impressed with the Russian. Quite sloppy at times.

Conlon can win, and can beat the Mongolian too. C'mon!

alanceltic wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this one, more so than the rest for some reason and cant wait for his post fight interview lol
    gets better everytime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

6-3 to the Cuban

cuban has excellent defence, uphill task now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Cuban leads 10-6

has to go for the kill now

Very good fighter this guy, superb handspeed and shot selection for an 18 year old

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

Conlon taking a hiding

Tells ya what the rte panel know , all 3 tipping conlon to win it

This Cuban has got some sensational skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Getting a bit outclassed here but has still had a great Olympics.

The Cuban has to be a shoo in for the gold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

This Cuban is very impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

That Cuban is something else. I thought Conlan put in a performance to be proud of, but the Cuban is something special. What a talent at only 18.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ, can someone put a muzzle on Jimmy Magee? He'd have you believe Conlon was hammering the fella if you couldn't see with your own two eyes.

Bronze medal, fantastic effort from Conlon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

The better boxer won.

Very proud of Conlan. Did very well for a young lad.

He needs to work on his left hand work. From either stance it's probably 10 to 1 right hands. Needs more attacking variety. I believe he has the talent to improve even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Jimmy Magee's commentary in that fight was diabolical. He is getting worse.

megadodge wrote: »
    The better boxer won.

Very proud of Conlan. Did very well for a young lad.

He needs to work on his left hand work. From either stance it's probably 10 to 1 right hands. Needs more attacking variety. I believe he has the talent to improve even more.

definately

Was a hiding in the end, Conlan didn;t deserve to be on the end of that. Done well to get bronze.

Wonderful fighter the Cuban, has decent pop in his punches and excellent variety too. Can box off the front or back foot either.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

That Cuban could get the Val Barker. Looks brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Him or John Joe.

John Joe is different class in his weight category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Genuine question, did she really deserve to win the third round 4 - 1. I don't have a clue about boxing.

Great effort by Conlon but totally up against it. That Cuban lad is a scary prospect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hard luck to Conlan he did well and should be proud of himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Lomachenko just won a very good contest v a very good Cuban 14-11.

Now comes the other half of my dream final - Petrauskas. Come on the tank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The Korean boxed lovely there. Too wild and predictable the Lithauinian was.

Not sure what fight some of you guys were watching but I thought Conlon did exceptionally well. Lost, but not by them scores. The second rd I thought Conlon won. Cuban getting scores for sticking his hand out. He is class. But Conlon was right with him all the way. Exceptional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not sure what fight some of you guys were watching but I thought Conlon did exceptionally well. Lost, but not by them scores. The second rd I thought Conlon won. Cuban getting scores for sticking his hand out. He is class. But Conlon was right with him all the way. Exceptional.

Yeah i couldn't believe when he was judged to have lost that second round by four, i thought he won that round by a point. I think it's not really a question of what Conlan did wrong, more of a case of that the Cuban is just a serious, serious talent. That's not to say there isn't room for improvement from Conlan, there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Pravda would be proud of that. They mentioned Stalker's, Errol Spence's, the Japanese and Belarussian appeals but not a word about the appeals of the Ukranian, Indian, Cuban and Canadian teams against terrible decisions involving GB boxers. Incredible.

Funny how they don't mention the gift decision the British boxers got at this tournament!

Pravda would be proud of that. They mentioned Stalker's, Errol Spence's, the Japanese and Belarussian appeals but not a word about the appeals of the Ukranian, Indian, Cuban and Canadian teams against terrible decisions involving GB boxers. Incredible.

sorry didn't see you had posted that before me. apologies for quoting myself too:o

• Advertisement

*cough* Ogogo * cough*

Advertisement