Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Boxing at London Olympics Superthread - July 28-August 12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just hope Nevin does not do any messing and showboating tonight. If he fights to potential he will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I disagree. Conlan just doesn't have Nevin's ring IQ, which can't be taught, nor the physical skills to compensate for it. That said, he's still a great boxer in his own right and if he's around for the next Olympics I'm sure he'll be a big medal hope as well.

Whatever Conlon has it is world class. His first fight was a wee bit stale for me. Did well, but I was left wanting more. He showed his class in the last two fights. I really thought he boxed brilliantly last night. Them scores were a joke. That Cuban was getting them body scores I think whereas Conlon was most likely not. The Cuban was great, I admit that, but Conlon was with him all the way last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I actually thing this is going to be a hum dinger of a fight tonight- I'm a big fan of Luke Campbell's style, but, COME ON NEVIN!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

walshb wrote: »
    Spreading rumours? I just happened to make a comment. I never said who they were or that JJN knew them. I said it was tragic and that IF he did know them that it could affect the lad. I read Mullingar. That was incorrect now it seems. End of!
    As I said, I wasn't having a go, I just think you should be a bit more careful! Just my own opinion, not telling you what or what not to do, free world and all that.

Its not the end of the world, but you had a whole story concocted before the facts were out.

It more then likely had nothing to do with John Joe, and I was just pointing it out, thats all.

Sorry If I offended you, it wasn't my intention!

RIP to those involved. A whole family destroyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

They need to make the medal fights 5 3 min rounds so we are absolutely sure the better boxer is progressing as it stands it's a lot of subjective scoring that is separating the majority of the fighters . Paddy Barnes fight needed at least one more round to tell the full story

DDC1990 wrote: »
    As I said, I wasn't having a go, I just think you should be a bit more careful! Just my own opinion, not telling you what or what not to do, free world and all that.

Its not the end of the world, but you had a whole story concocted before the facts were out.

It more then likely had nothing to do with John Joe, and I was just pointing it out, thats all.

Sorry If I offended you, it wasn't my intention!

RIP to those involved. A whole family destroyed.

You did not offend me. I did say that I hadn't read up on the story. So, I hadn't concocted anything. I saw a headline. That was it. Nothing confirmed from me. I was careful not to state anything as fact!

Anyway, let's hope Nevin gives it his all tonight and brings back gold for Ireland.

Librium wrote: »
    They need to make the medal fights 5 3 min rounds so we are absolutely sure the better boxer is progressing as it stands it's a lot of subjective scoring that is separating the majority of the fighters . Paddy Barnes fight needed at least one more round to tell the full story

Interesting thought that. 5 x 3 would see a big change in training. Major stamina boost needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

That completly disadvantages the older fighters then, as the younger guys will be fitter.

You'll end up getting the fitter boxers rather then the best boxers.

I think the way its structured is fine. They are short enough to be exciting, and long enough to get the best winner out of most of the fights.

Where things need to change is the scoring, but thats a whole different animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

DDC1990 wrote: »
    That completly disadvantages the older fighters then, as the younger guys will be fitter.

You'll end up getting the fitter boxers rather then the best boxers.

I think the way its structured is fine. They are short enough to be exciting, and long enough to get the best winner out of most of the fights.

Where things need to change is the scoring, but thats a whole different animal.
    There is talk that they will use the pro fight scoring model for Rio 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Why does every thread descend into a pro discussion.

Well in the past it would have happened a fair bit, as a lot of fighters turn pro after an Olympics, medal or not. So when their tournament comes to an end, the discussion starts as there's the possibility they may never fight amateur again.

Why it's happened somewhat now and is going to happen a lot more after is due to the fact Mr.Wu wants to turn amateur boxing into professional for his gain. The next Olympics will essentially see 3 round professional fights taking place, with nearly a quarter of the fighters (56 out of ~250) being fully fledged professionals.

Anyway I'm gonna curtail this before I go on a rant.

I think the occasion is going to get to Luke Campbell today. He froze somewhat in the World final for the first couple of rounds and I feel nerves have been a factor in his under par performances at this tournament so far.
    Stylistically Campbell has the perfect style to beat Nevin, however John Joe seems to have improved from their bout last year, where as Campbell doesn't.
    I thought JJN deserved the win in their fight last year, but if it's that close again the home fighter will get it.

He'll need to make it clear to be sure, so hopefully another performance like yesterday and it should be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'd wonder if there is even much chance of a home-town decision in the ExCel when you're fighting an Irish boxer. At worst it'll be 50:50 and more than likely the Irish supporters will make the most noise. The judges are likely to be scared straight, if you will.

It's very unique that you'll have a situation where a home country boxer is facing a 'foreign' boxer in a final and the away support will be stronger. I don't think we can read too much into the old precedents tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

hope he does no shufflin this time, i dont mind it usually, but brits have been more than good to us this olympics in support for all sports (e.g. bbc on heffernan today).

what do you think are campbells strengths? he doesnt seem quick, footwork is ok, but he knows exactly when to throw his punches, and has power (i think)

Campbell too has Irish ties. Family over here. His family know the Nevin's.

endswell wrote: »
    hope he does no shufflin this time, i dont mind it usually, but brits have been more than good to us this olympics in support for all sports (e.g. bbc on heffernan today).

what do you think are campbells strengths? he doesnt seem quick, footwork is ok, but he knows exactly when to throw his punches, and has power (i think)

His strengths are his range, work rate and speed. He is deceptively quick.

from sports forum:
    Skid wrote: »
    Just in case you haven't seen this :)

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

His strengths are his range, work rate and speed. He is deceptively quick.
    he didnt seem fast to me, obviously too deceptive for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

He's more powerful than Nevin, and has longer arms which facilitate a rangy style, but aside from that Nevin beats him in every department IMO, except stamina which Campbell may have an edge in.

Oh believe me Campbell is quick, very very quick and he's got great timing too.
    He's my favourite boxer on the GB squad, beautiful to watch when at his best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

watch boxing every now and again so im no expert, but to me campbell was tired out at the end of that fight and looked weak. John joe has improved a huge amount. Some of the digs JJN was throwing looked far more powerful. That ballsy Jap that campbell fought was awful and had no ability to move at all, and yet still got 11 in on campbell. The movement of Nevin is 10 times better than the Jap, and Campbell looked slightly worried to me .

Im Backing JJN in the bookies aswell, the price is a bit big. I reckon the pricves are only staying close because he might get a hometown decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

3X3's is long enough.

Saying that is like saying they should change the 100m sprint to a mile so that you can be sure that the better runner gets through! It makes it a different sport.

JJN probably wouldn't have gotten near a medal in this competition with 5X3's. Not because he's not good enough but because he took a ferocious body shot in an earlier bout. He was able to last out the last half minute. He might not have lasted another 2 full rounds; that doesn't mean he wasn't the better boxer!! We wouldn't have gotten to see him give the Cuban a boxing lesson.

Swings and roundabouts!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

yabadabado wrote: »
    There is talk that they will use the pro fight scoring model for Rio 2016.

Yeah, it could happen. It works ok on most club shows (20 point scoring) although technically you are still counting punches for that.

The story is that it went computerized after an outcry when Roy Jones got robbed.....and this time the Yanks didn't even medal...they're blaming the scoring but in truth the yanks train to box as pros as soon as they lace up the gloves and they're now making a lot of noises about wanting "pro-style" scoring.

I read a US article moaning that the computerised scoring only scored punches and didn't take into account the boxers aggressiveness and ring presence and charisma :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

sorry guys but what time is nevin fighting at?

anirishlad wrote: »
    sorry guys but what time is nevin fighting at?

20:45 my good man.

Anyone getting excited???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Hell yes. Watching the last of the athletics on BBC's wonderful multi-screen system. The gold medal bout is the perfect send-off for our Olympics.

Big props to the Brits for putting on a wonderful and memorable Olympics and for being so gracious to our athletes. I was so proud to see us returning the favour at the ExCel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

barney4001 wrote: »
    That shuffling could well have cost nevin very dear he needs to cut that out at this level

True, it was dangerous, but I really enjoyed it. :D

Tonight I'll be mostly watching Diving and Boxing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Oooh cmon John Joe, all over twitter today keeping an eye on this, nervous as a nervous thing here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Very nervous but also confident. Come on John Joe!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Thai boxer just got ****ing robbed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Come on John Joe

The crowd didnt like that!

Nevin smiling and Campbell looks nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

any links please in the uk they are not showing it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just said the same thing to the missus, cmon JJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

C'mon John Joe

4-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

3-5 after the first, about right imo.

3-5, Campbell is picking his punches better here, just 2 punches, cmon JJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

5-3 to Campbell fwck it

Come one John Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

bit harsh but ah well,come on john joe!

great round for nevin 7-3

8-9 now I think, cmon JJ

Jimmy Magee is a numpty btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

9-8

Jeez the nerves again

COME ONE JOHN JOE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

9-8 JJ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

9-8 jj, c'mon jj

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

efb wrote: »
    great round for nevin 7-3

if only, I thought similar to you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

corny wrote: »
    I've a sizeable sum (well for me anyway) on JJ to win all three rounds. 6 to 1.

mugs game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

nervous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Not enough I reckon. Good fight though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement