Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Boxing at London Olympics Superthread - July 28-August 12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Campbell has it I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Why the hell does Nevin raise his hand and wave when he gets hit

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Silver I think, Campbell is no slouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

4-4

Cambell on his 1st rd I'd say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

I think Campbell has this. Am I wrong

Why does john joe celebrate(put up his arm) when he scores a point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

John Joe lost. Unfortunate, he did great overall but I don't think he fought as good as he could have against Campbell. Oh well, still fantastic to get silver!

campbell got that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Campbells the winner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Fair play to Campbell. He deserved that.

• Advertisement

Yep not suprised great jab - point scoring easy to register

Not John Joe's best fight - still, silver is excellent fair play.

2 bronze
    1 silver
    1 gold

Great tally from the boxers - well done to them all and the trainers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Still hugely disappointed. I think Nevin is a better boxer, but Campbell's length did it. Campbell is a good boxer too, not selling him short. Just devastated for John Joe. Feel sick after that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Devastated. Very close fight. Anyone else notice that JJN seemed to injure his foot in the first rd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

what was he at with those tactics, he blew it,

walshb wrote: »
    Devastated. Very close fight. Anyone else notice that JJN seemed to injure his foot in the first rd?

He was cautioned for standing on Campbell's foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

Hard luck John Joe, the right man won.

I honestly was very worried the moment I saw John Joe moving forward. He's far better with someone coming at him and I thought he played into Campbell's hands by letting him move back.

Anyway, wonderful games for the Irish boxer I have admired most since he burst onto the senior scene. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I thought that too. Jimmy seemed to pass it off as an idiosyncrasy ... :rolleyes:

Very disappointing fight.. JJ looked nervous, his opponent was much calmer. Putting his hands up in the air when he got hit was just stupid..

I thought that too. Jimmy seemed to pass it off as an idiosyncrasy ... :rolleyes:

Very disappointing fight.. JJ looked nervous, his opponent was much calmer. Putting his hands up in the air when he got hit was just stupid..

He was indicating to the judges he got his shot in- doesnt achieve anything.

• Advertisement

what was he at with those tactics, he blew it,

With someone with such a long reach as Campbell, bringing the fight to him perhaps just didnt work out to be the best option but i suppose its easy to say this after the event. John Joe is still young at 23. I think if he can stay at amateur we may see John Joe going one step further in Rio. Im proud of him either way from one irish man to another and wish him well for the future.

Zou Shimming won the gold i see. i think Paddy Barnes can feel more hard done by he didnt take part in tonights final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Gutted for John Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Devastated for him, he really has his heart on his sleeve. Very proud Irishman here nevertheless :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Tough, though one. John Joe probably deserved to be level going into the final round but only one point down meant it was still there for the taking. Campbell the better fighter on the night.

John Joe was very classy in defeat and I'm sure if he sticks with boxing he'll go very far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

I still can't believe they gave Campbell round 1, that was John Joe's round and that changed the complexity of the fight. After that, Campbell was able to back off and make John Joe come after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

Congratulations Campbell.

I'm glad that it wasn't some dodgy decision if John Joe was gonna get bet. That said, f*ck yis yis big long armed awkward southpaw bastards! Well done John Joe you put on a great show.

Well done to everyone that was part of the boxing team that went over they represented us so proudly, fought with courage and with style and were always gracious in defeat. The best team in any sport to represent us at an Olympic games, i hope the powers that be continue to support them in the way they deserve and to use them as a model to bring other departments up to standard. Fair play lads(& lass)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Thought John Joe's tactics should have been to draw Campbell's lead and score on the counter. He did this much better 2nd round and was successful at it.

John Joe at his best would have won this.

efb wrote: »
    He was cautioned for standing on Campbell's foot.

I know that but he also seemed to twist awkwardly on his right foot. He steeped back, stopped and almost limped and then continued on. Nobody has mentioned it. Maybe he didn't injure his foot but he acted as if he had.

I agree more so with Dowling's analysis. He was only allowed do what his foe let him do.

"Shoulda woulda coulda.":confused:

Choochtown wrote: »
    Thought John Joe's tactics should have been to draw Campbell's lead and score on the counter. He did this much better 2nd round and was successful at it.

John Joe at his best would have won this.

I thought JJN should have maybe not led as much; JJN thinks it too now going by the interview. But, Campbell was in there too. He was a major part of how the tactic fared for JJN.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Anybody else think that there wasnt much irish support compared to other days?

Sotolongo was impressive there.

• Advertisement

Anybody else think that there wasnt much irish support compared to other days?

Out-sang by GB tonight - but was this the first final they had a fighter in?

There was near hysteria for Katie's fights, none of the male fighters got close to what she had.

With someone with such a long reach as Campbell, bringing the fight to him perhaps just didnt work out to be the best option but i suppose its easy to say this after the event. John Joe is still young at 23. I think if he can stay at amateur we may see John Joe going one step further in Rio. Im proud of him either way from one irish man to another and wish him well for the future.

Zou Shimming won the gold i see. i think Paddy Barnes can feel more hard done by he didnt take part in tonights final.

im just frustrated ,aaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh
    that chinese has got so many dodgy decisions its unreal, did ya see the way the ref gave the thai a warning, just to even it up too

The irish bought tickets for Katie's final day in boxing anticipating she would be in the final.

I doubt that many thought John Joe would be in the final and the mens final day tickets were probably harder to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

efb wrote: »
    He was indicating to the judges he got his shot in- doesnt achieve anything.

Yeah I wasn't sure if he was making sure he got scored or was acknowledging some good shots from Campbell like a snooker player tapping the table. Either way doing it had to have diverted focus.

He had actually drawn the fight level at the start of the third but he just began to spend a little too much time within Campell's range and it became a bit to easy for the englishman just to keep the defence tight and wait for the time to let the hands go. Campbell also got some good advice in the corner before that last round i thought, he wasn't letting John joe around outside his stance to get them hooks in after his jab's & straights were coming back in, he was staying square on more with tight hands and timing his own release better after Johnjoe had already committed.

I felt if johnjoe could've been a bit more patient after he got the first score back he might've forced campbell to come out first. Anyway coulda, woulda, shoulda - it was an interesting fight & the better man on the day won.

John Joe seems to be limping a bit coming into the medal ceremony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Boooourns

I thought JJN should have maybe not led as much; JJN thinks it too now going by the interview. But, Campbell was in there too. He was a major part of how the tactic fared for JJN.

That's what i was thinking watching it, he just looked rushed and off balance leading, just doesn't suit him at all. Tactics were wrong.

Johner wrote: »
    John Joe seems to be limping a bit coming into the medal ceremony.

Proves what I thought. He injured that foot,

BTW, anyone see the LFW fight? Damn that was Barnes gold medal in there. Horrible fight. Barnes would have eaten that Thai!

the cuban who beat conlon is a class act. love his style,

how can some people continue to watch these assholes of refs and judges completely rob fighters, i hope the brazilian appeals and wins that,, wont happen though

This is a slug fest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Feel for John Joe but silver is still a great accomplishment. The boxers have lifted the nation. I'm grateful to them for giving us a few positive news headlines for a change.

UKR beats ITA in the heavy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

that was some victory dance by the Ukranian heavyweight :) , by the way whats with all the Ukranian boxers copying Gary Oldmans haircut from the fifth element?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

stagolee wrote: »
    that was some victory dance by the Ukranian heavyweight :) , by the way whats with all the Ukranian boxers copying Gary Oldmans haircut from the fifth element?

Berinchyck and Usyk are Cossacks, that's their traditional hairstyle

Berinchyk will be an animal in the pro's.

Bit of a storm on Twitter - restaurant in Dublin tried to be funny with a silly Tweet, got caught out and tried to blame it "on a mate" - have deleted it but the storm is still brewing.

A0DAcqKCUAA-tur.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

That's been doing the rounds for the past few days. I'm surprised someone was so stupid as to put it on Twitter though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Johner wrote: »
    Berinchyk will be an animal in the pro's.

Aye, Usyk might too, and if that fails, he'll make an excellent Bond villain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

It's all the more inane when you consider how well John Joe has conducted himself. He's not only been a model athlete for Travellers but for all of Ireland at these Olympics.

I think it's wonderful that on top of everything else that our two bronze medallists are from Belfast, our silver medallist is a Traveller from the Midlands and our gold medallist is a woman from Bray.

The spectrum reflects very well on how open boxing is to anyone with enough skill and dedication, something that can't be said for most sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I could'nt see Nevin beat ,lost my poke on him

Advertisement