Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Boxing at London Olympics Superthread - July 28-August 12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Syferus wrote: »
    It's all the more inane when you consider how well John Joe has conducted himself. He's not only been a model athlete for Travellers but for all of Ireland at these Olympics.

I think it's wonderful that on top of everything else that our two bronze medallists are from Belfast, our silver medallist is a Traveller from the Midlands and our gold medallist is a woman from Bray.

The spectrum reflects very well on how open boxing is to anyone with enough skill and dedication, something that can't be said for most sports.

I hope to God Ciaran O'Lionard was watching JJN and learned something about how to conduct yourself in disappointment. Makes you wonder about the silver spoon athletes at these Olympics, all talk and no walk. John Joe is a credit to his family, his town, his country but most importantly a credit to himself. O'Lionard on the other hand is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

I actually HATE Clemente Russo.. just put the fight on 20 seconds & the very first thing he does is punch Usyk in the balls

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

I hope to God Ciaran O'Lionard was watching JJN and learned something about how to conduct yourself in disappointment. Makes you wonder about the silver spoon athletes at these Olympics, all talk and no walk. John Joe is a credit to his family, his town, his country but most importantly a credit to himself. O'Lionard on the other hand is a joke.

People are too hard on O'Lionaird. don't really understand the silver spoon stuff either, not too many well off athletes in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭dasdog

Amazing Olympics. 1/3 was good after the ace. Being picky wanting gold but I had a lump in my throat four over an hour the other day. Finalists.

4lgeg4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Who do we all think should get the men's Val Barker? I think Sotolongo, absolute class act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

People are too hard on O'Lionaird. don't really understand the silver spoon stuff either, not too many well off athletes in Ireland.

I thought the guy was very disrespectful in that interview, however check out the pod cast on newstalk the next day. He set the record straight and came across very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Who do we all think should get the men's Val Barker? I think Sotolongo, absolute class act.

The Cuban that beat Conlan for me if he wins today, four classy wins so far including good wins over Selby and Conlan and all at only 18 years old. Really hope he wins today but he would get my pick for the Val Barker. Sotolongo a close second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sotolongo is a beautiful boxer puncher. Very strong too.

The cuban is doing what he did against Conlon, getting in behind his guard and taking a look at his opponent

And getting scores that aren't landing. The opponent I thought got that rd. Jimmy MaGee: The Cubans throw 120-130 shots a rd. That's well over 500 a contest!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

This kid is a beautiful boxer. I'd love to see more of him. Beautiful fluid style and seems to pack a hard punch.

The Mongolian is boxing beautifully and gets robbed in that 2n rd. Robbed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭megadodge

walshb wrote: »
    The Mongolian is boxing beautifully and gets robbed in that 2n rd. Robbed!

Disagree.

While it's close I feel the Cuban has done the better work throughout.

I'm actually fuming with myself as after seeing his first bout, I went straight onto betfair and was looking for 10/1 odds for 20e. After a day there wasn't a stir of movement on the market, so I took it off and forgot about him until the Conlan bout. Checked it and found out he had been matched at 32/1!!!

Anyway, I think he deserves the Val Barker award. Superb boxer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

the cuban is a class act, and wins tha,t he has an extra gear that others dont have, anybody that thinks he is not v v good is blind, he beat conlon with a bit to spare, and that is not easy to do

Lomachenko's style is much different to in the last Olympics where he had a real swashbuckling style. Much more controlled and probably craftier. Gets his scores and moves out. Fantastic boxer but I miss the old Vasyl.

Lomachenko looking back to his best in his final here. 7-2 up after round one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

the korean has barely thrown a punch, how did he get to the final?

Lomachenko's fight is going how we all wished Johnjoe's would

Nice to see Lomachenko waving the Roscommon flag after his win there :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Is Evans opponent any good or is he all but guaranteed a medal because we all know if it's close it'll go to the hometown boxer so unless his opponent is a class above it is Evans gold

• Advertisement

Spar for Lomachenko. Best all around mover in amateur boxing. And this movement, rapid fast attacks and closing distance is why he is the best.

donfers wrote: »
    Is Evans opponent any good or is he all but guaranteed a medal because we all know if it's close it'll go to the hometown boxer so unless his opponent is a class above it is Evans gold

He's the underdog with the bookies.

Very impressed with Sapiev here. Evans has it all to do.

4-2 to Evans opponent. I saw one flurry where he should have scored 4 points from that alone.

he's teaching him a lesson now

Sapiyev is in 2nd gear. Evans looks shockingly bad.

Have to admit, I hadn't seen Sapiev in this Olympics til today, but there's no doubt he has to be in the reckoning for the Val Barker if his other performances were anything like his final.

How on earth did this kid, Evans make the final? One of the most lacklustre performances I have ever seen. Adam Nolan would beat this Evans lad.

17-9 is very generous to Evans. Even when Evans did let go his punches were so telegraphed and looping. No technique at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

as one sided as you will ever see

17-9?? :confused:

Evans & the Korean were both scared ****less of their opponents... most one sided finals you'll see. They just wanted to get through the 9 minutes and pick up their silvers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

That Cuban is some fighter.

Just listening to RTÉ panel and it seems Pete Taylor isn't a happy camper - all the papers full of stories he and Katie vetoed an open top bus from Dublin tomorrow and he claims they were never even asked. Ireland not able to organize a piss up in a brewer shocker :rolleyes:

Kazakh is doing alright here for such a prohibitive outsider.. thought the first was a draw though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Our Olympic Games

Team Ireland Boxing Team

189508_414073708649346_944497176_n.jpg

megadodge wrote: »
    Have to admit, I hadn't seen Sapiev in this Olympics til today, but there's no doubt he has to be in the reckoning for the Val Barker if his other performances were anything like his final.

Isn't Val Barker for the most stylish boxer as opposed to the best? No doubt Sapiev has been one of the most dominant boxers but I don't think he's a crowd pleaser like the Cuban fly.

• Advertisement

That's been doing the rounds for the past few days. I'm surprised someone was so stupid as to put it on Twitter though.

Similar joke done the rounds with Francie Barrett in Atlanta the time. This country eh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Joshua with a 2nd robbery. Cammarelle won that fight

Cammarelle won that fight by at least a couple. Joshua's name was on a gold medal.

Excellent SHW fight. I watched on the beeb. I heard Jimmy's bias for Joshua on RTE was a disgrace?

i would have to say fair result, very close, could of gone either way, the cuban was robbed not the italian

• Advertisement

a bit dodgy alright but Camarelle asked for trouble with that bad last round... he got caught with a clear, clean four punch combo on the ropes in the last that cost him big time

Jimmy Magee thinks there's two or three days to go in the olympics :0

joshua has a lot going for him, only a amatuer 4 yrs, another few years and turn pro, he is no rush to turn pro yet,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Jimmy Magee thinks there's two or three days to go in the olympics :0

It's high time that man was put out to pasture. His commentary is all fluff.

The Italian brought that on himself with a lazy final round. Fair play to Joshua for going all out at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

The Joshua fight was a lot like the Barnes fight, clearly won the last round when 3pts done, but I thought Barnes won the 3rd by a bigger margin. The difference was home field advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Result being appealed, Judges reviewing.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Result being appealed, Judges reviewing.

What can they review though?.. i thought they only changed decisions if the ref did something wrong in the ring, rather than on judges scoring.

There's no doubt Joshua got a bit of homefield advantage, could've been further behind after the first i thought. But it was homefield advantage only, not conspiracy stuff like some of the fights in earlier rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Why didn't Ireland appeal the Barnes fight?

No hope an appeal will work in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Barnes correctly, accepted his decision

Isn't Val Barker for the most stylish boxer as opposed to the best? No doubt Sapiev has been one of the most dominant boxers but I don't think he's a crowd pleaser like the Cuban fly.

Crowd pleasers in general are not stylish either.

However, I do think the Cuban has an excellent chance, just hadn't seen Sapiev before I made my original comment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement