Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Boxing at London Olympics Superthread - July 28-August 12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

runman wrote: »
    Jimmy magee is full of tripe.. cant watch the fight with this guy bangin on.

BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Sanchez knows he needs a big round here

Christ Nolan needs to get on his bike- use his height and reach

Nolan in trouble here, the idiot should have boxed ffs

Nolan got caught easily there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Delighted! But how did Sanchez only get 2 points in that last round!

14-8........

think the judges were pressing the wrong button :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Johner wrote: »
    Delighted! But how did Sanchez only get 2 points in that last round!

No idea. I thought Sanchez was better tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Adam won the last round :P

6-3
    5-3
    3-2

14-8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

He'll get the head ate off him for the 3rd round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭megadodge

That fight followed Nolan's trend of starting fast and fading late.

His final v Joyce this year was the same and I thought Joyce nicked it in the end.

I agree with Bernard Dunne in that Nolan needs to stay at a distance ALL THE TIME. He's far to fond of getting close with the hands high letting the opp whale away at his body which will tire him more.

I think he can box better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Another win, but I don't see Nolan getting a medal. Stamina doesn't seem to be there... Strong start, weak finish.

the 2nd big shot was with the inside of the glove- adam caught him with a few scoring points early in the round but he made it very difficult for himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Seemed to tire far too easily. How he won last round is beyond me. A win is a win and all that craic. Can't see him going further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Dunne has a point about Nolan getting into a brawl. But sometimes a style is a style. Nolan fights this way pretty much all the time. That's his way. Sure, he could tidy up, be more patient, relax, but maybe that wouldn't get results. Brilliant win for Nolan. That is what I love, a 100 percent effort. The kitchen sink thrown in.

Side Note: I'd say the burglars and criminals throughout the country had a 15 minute amnesty tonight!

walshb wrote: »
    Dunne has a point about Nolan getting into a brawl. But sometimes a style is a style. Nolan fights this way pretty much all the time. That's his way. Sure, he could tidy up, be more patient, relax, but maybe that wouldn't get results. Brilliant win for Nolan. That is what I love, a 00 percent effort. The kitchen sink thrown in.

Side Note: I'd say the burglars and criminals throughout the country had a 15 minute amnesty tonight!

If he tidyed up he'd def get the results- he has the height and reach to jab and move- we know he can fight which is good but scoring and moving should be his tactic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

Had to agree with Dunnes view on it there, Nolan looked good in the first 2 rounds but he lost he third by a larger margin than he won either of the first 2 by.

And Irish Judge (Michael Gallagher) in this one

efb wrote: »
    If he tidyed up he'd def get the results- he has the height and reach to jab and move- we know he can fight which is good but scoring and moving should be his tactic.

But like I said, that is his style. He fights this way. And, wins! We will not know how he gets on if he decides to stand off, relax, ease the volume until he tries it. Not saying he may not do as well, or better, but we juts don't know.

BTW, he tired in the last minute, but that is to be expected. He was still alert and firing shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

He should use his advantages more-I fear when he meets the higher level lads this will be exploited.

Well done anyway, 3 outta 3

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

But like I said, that is his style. He fights this way. And, wins! We will not know how he gets on if he decides to stand off, relax, ease the volume until he tries it. Not saying he may not do as well, or better, but we juts don't know.

BTW, he tired in the last minute, but that is to be expected. He was still alert and firing shots.

He wins- to a point- if he wants to get to the next level he has to sharpen these things. He has such a height advantage its criminal not to use it.

Logic determines he should do alot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

He wins- to a point- if he wants to get to the next level he has to sharpen these things. He has such a height advantage its criminal not to use it.

Suprised there wasnt any "long arm of the law" puns from the commentators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wouldn't rate Nolan as a great boxer at all. He leaves himself wide open and lacks stamina. He was hanging on at the end and he will meet much tougher fighters. With his height and reach the last round should have been a formality but he clearly lost it despite what the judges decided. He might have been nervous but when you're so far ahead you should not be hanging on at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Great win, but he seems to run out of gas for the last min or so of each round, which is worrying.

stagolee wrote: »
    Suprised there wasnt any "long arm of the law" puns from the commentators

he didnt use it- thats why! Close in fighting!

I wouldn't rate Nolan as a great boxer at all. He leaves himself wide open and lacks stamina. He was hanging on at the end and he will meet much tougher fighters. With his height and reach the last round should have been a formality but he clearly lost it despite what the judges decided. He might have been nervous but when you're so far ahead you should not be hanging on at the end.

He did not lose the fight- def had more scoring punches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He did not lose the fight- def had more scoring punches.

I meant the last round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Nolan was terrible. No chance of a medal. He will be beaten easily by anyone with any ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

On that form Nolan won't beat the Russian in the next round. Needs to box the bout of his life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭megadodge

But we do know.
    In the qualifiers from what I saw he boxed at distance virtually all the time. No up close stuff. And he won it out!!

I know you love aggressive fighters, but that has nothing to do with success in amateur boxing and hasn't had for the last 20 years!
    It's not rocket science, if you have the height and reach advantages why not use them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I actually cant remember anyone besides Jimmy magee ever doing a boxing commentary for RTE; I dont think they have a plan B.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I actually cant remember anyone besides Jimmy magee ever doing a boxing commentary for RTE; I dont think they have a plan B.

The late Noel Andrews did it back in the day.

After that it was always going to be Magee. Him or Marty Morrissey lol. Travesty. How in God's name can we not have someone who knows even the very basics commentating?

Also, Bernard Dunne is the only pundit who knows anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I've had the misfortune of hearing Marty Morrissey commentate on boxing, which surely must be illegal as it falls under the area of cruel and unusual punishment.

Nolan was terrible. No chance of a medal. He will be beaten easily by anyone with any ability.

Way to go to piss on that lads Olympic debut. All from the comfort of a couch!

Terrible? Makes the games, tries his ass off and wins his first fight and all you have to offer is terrible:confused:

• Advertisement

Way to go to piss on that lads Olympic debut. All from the comfort of a couch!

Terrible? Makes the games, tries his ass off and wins his first fight and all you have to offer is terrible:confused:

This is the Olympics so we judge by those standards. By those standards he was terrible. Frustrating because he doesn't want for athleticism, just boxing skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Boooourns

This is the Olympics so we judge by those standards. By those standards he was terrible. Frustrating because he doesn't want for athleticism, just boxing skills.

Some craic in your house.

Boooourns wrote: »

Some craic in your house.

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Lads cut out the petty stuff

....even if it is funny.

Seriously though, no one wants infractions or bans etc, so keep it civil.

gene, what were you expecting? The silky skills of SRL? A first rd KO?

Yes, these are the Olympics, and no boxer at the games is below this standard, or undeserving, That is why they are there, because they are of the standard and they are deserving.

You watched what we did. You saw a young man from Ireland get in that ring and try his ass off, leaving nothing behind, winning, and winning with points to spare, and all you can come up is that post. I don't think anyone thinks that Nolan will win gold. But surely a wee bit of support, encouragement or praise wouldn't have been too much to ask?

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    But we do know.
    In the qualifiers from what I saw he boxed at distance virtually all the time. No up close stuff. And he won it out!!

I know you love aggressive fighters, but that has nothing to do with success in amateur boxing and hasn't had for the last 20 years!
    It's not rocket science, if you have the height and reach advantages why not use them?

Fair point, mega. Like I said, I did agree with Dunne to some extent, but then when you look at Adam and th fight, well, he won, and did so fairly well. Yes, he did look a wee bit too excited and too into it, which meant that he was probably playing into his opponents strengths more. A little bit more poise and patience I think will help Adam even more.

gene, what were you expecting? The silky skills of SRL? A first rd KO?

I was expecting a boxer with a 6" height advantage to use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Speak Now

He did and he won!

He did and he won!

Ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭waterfordkick

well done to all the 3 lads so far, great 100% record for Irish boxing ! I think Nolan boxed great in the first 2 rounds but I'd say all the nervous tension burned up all day caught up on him in the last round. It is a long time to wait around to make your debut in the biggest stage in the world. I think he will be a lot more relaxed in his next fight and fingers crossed he will do the job !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

first time to see nolan box last night and i hate to say it but i wasnt impressed, he looked overly dependant on a big left in the first two rounds and i thought he lost the last round by a country mile. i dont understand how a high performance boxer can tire that easily in the third round. maybe ill just give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to nerves for his first olympic performance, heres hoping......:(

first time to see nolan box last night and i hate to say it but i wasnt impressed, he looked overly dependant on a big left in the first two rounds and i thought he lost the last round by a country mile. i dont understand how a high performance boxer can tire that easily in the third round. maybe ill just give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to nerves for his first olympic performance, heres hoping......:(

They are not pros. He did tire, but that happens. The effort and adrenalin and all that put together can see a boxer tire. He was still firing shots right till the end. Maybe he should have been less intense and maybe he should have been more selective in his work rate, but his style is fairly frenetic anyway.

In the national final this happened to him too. He tired in the last rd, but again, he put in so much work that it was bound to happen. Any athlete in any sport is finely tuned and trained to go at a certain level; sometimes they over do it and they fade and wilt at the end. Happens in boxing, track and field, swimming, judo, cycling etc. They are not machines. They have limits.

A little tweak here and there and I think Nolan can sort this "tiring" issue. All about a wee bit of control and poise and pacing.

They are not pros. He did tire, but that happens. The effort and adrenalin and all that put together can see a boxer tire. He was still firing shots right till the end. Maybe he should have been less intense and maybe he should have been more selective in his work rate, but his style is fairly frenetic anyway.

In the national final this happened to him too. He tired in the last rd, but again, he put in so much work that it was bound to happen. Any athlete in any sport is finely tuned and trained to go at a certain level; sometimes they over do it and they fade and wilt at the end. Happens in boxing, track and field, swimming, judo, cycling etc. They are not machines They have limits.

A little tweak here and there and I think Nolan can sort this "tiring" issue. All about a wee bit of control and poise and pacing.

i understand all that ive fought many a 3 rounder albeit in a different discipline
    but he was out on his feet in the third round! im also aware hes not a pro but these guys put in some serious training for these games, surely the stamina work they do would stand them for at least three rounds i cant remember any of our other boxers tiring that much in the third especially since the intro of the high performance

i understand all that ive fought many a 3 rounder albeit in a different discipline
    but he was out on his feet in the third round! im also aware hes not a pro but these guys put in some serious training for these games, surely the stamina work they do would stand them for at least three rounds i cant remember any of our other boxers tiring that much in the third especially since the intro of the high performance

I understand, but I think pacing is so important, and Nolan needs to monitor it. Many attacks and shots he was throwing were not effective, (attacking and throwing shots nearly for the sake of it), and all they did was waste energy. So, this is something he needs to look at.

I understand, but I think pacing is so important, and Nolan needs to monitor it. Many attacks and shots he was throwing were not effective, and all they did was waste energy. So, this is something he needs to look at.

yes that was something i was refering to in an earlier post he seemed to be throwing big lefts as if he was looking for a knockout, he should have just used his height advantage and kept this guy at distance and boxed his points

• Advertisement
Advertisement