Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Period house sells for 2.5% of 2005 purchase price

Options
  • 12-07-2012 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

Bagnelastown House, a derelict house dating from the 1700s was sold at auction for €250,000 yesterday. The property which sits on a 20 acre site was bought in 2005 for €10M :eek: :eek: It had been valued at up to €12M at the time :eek: The developer who bought it planned to build residential housing estates on it but planning permission ran out before the property 'crash'.

2.5% of the 2005 purchase price..... It doesn't show how bad things are now, it just shows how ludicrously inflated things were then. Were all these Walter Mitty 'developers' really silly enough to believe that the fantasy good times would never end???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I wish all houses were 2.5 % of boom time prices:D

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

From the article below it's easy to see why the value has fallen so dramatically:
    • Planning permission for 160 houses was expired.
    • The house is a protected structure.
    • The house was recently damaged by fire.
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/property-plus/in-2005-a-developer-paid-10m-for-this-derelict-carlow-house-on-20acres-today-its-yours-for-130000-3139267.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The developer who bought it planned to build residential housing estates on it but planning permission ran out before the property 'crash'.
    Actually it looks like he had planning permission but then the crash kicked him out of the market.

I suspect that the unfortunate developer was a bit small time, fancied himself a high-roller and thought that €12m for a 20 acre site in Co. Meath with FPP was a bargain. The plan was no doubt to build the 160 houses and sell them at €300,000 each for a total price of €48m. The developer himself would probably walk away with €10m cash in the bank.

If someone presented those kind of figures to you and told you that the bank would happily back you up, it would be hard to turn down.

The planning permission was the only thing giving the site value, without that it's just a field with a ruin in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

seamus wrote: »
    Actually it looks like he had planning permission but then the crash kicked him out of the market.

I suspect that the unfortunate developer was a bit small time, fancied himself a high-roller and thought that €12m for a 20 acre site in Co. Meath with FPP was a bargain. The plan was no doubt to build the 160 houses and sell them at €300,000 each for a total price of €48m. The developer himself would probably walk away with €10m cash in the bank.

If someone presented those kind of figures to you and told you that the bank would happily back you up, it would be hard to turn down.

The planning permission was the only thing giving the site value, without that it's just a field with a ruin in it.

I'm being a pedant, but it's in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Blackjack wrote: »
    I'm being a pedant, but it's in Carlow.
    When I hear "Bagnelstown" my brain immediately replies "Co. Meath", for some reason.

At the time the guy was buying, it could have been in Gaoth Dobhair and it would still have been considered a safe investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

seamus wrote: »
    When I hear "Bagnelstown" my brain immediately replies "Co. Meath", for some reason.

At the time the guy was buying, it could have been in Gaoth Dobhair and it would still have been considered a safe investment.

Very true. Property was the "sure thing" alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

He overpaid IMO.

Advertisement