Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf 1.4 How good are they

• 12-07-2012 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭

At the end of next month i am looking to buy a Golf 1.4. Can anybody on here tell me the good and bad points to look out for.

all help appreciated
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Think they have a reputation for burning oil and are underpowered but I'm sure people here are much better informed than me on such matters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

tankbarry wrote: »
    At the end of next month i am looking to buy a Golf 1.4. Can anybody on here tell me the good and bad points to look out for.

all help appreciated
    thanks

Year is important in this Question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

You don't say what budget/year you're looking at but the general rule is that if you can avoid the 1.4 do so, try for a 1.6 if you can find one.

It's very very underpowered for the weight of the Golf with 75/80 bhp. We had a 2007 one for a year and it was very frustrating as the rest of the car was quite nice but it struggled to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

hopefully a 03 but might go 02 depending on money...........

have to wait for o/t money from work

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

What year are you considering?

Mark 4 1.4 Golfs had a very soft engine, failing piston rings and heavy oil consumption problems are well documented. Failing belt tensioners were also common issues from as low as 30,000 miles. I would't go near one.

The 1.6 from that era has a better reputation.

Not sure if the Mark 5 1.4 had the same issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 ArticHare

My 98 1.4 Mk4 broke my heart many times, couldn't get a loan for a new car and had to get he engine reconditioned, think everythings broke except the gearbox at this stage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If its the non TSI engine then its about 75bhp which is just not enough power for 1400 kgs worth of Golf. If you have a full compliment of passengers or cargo you will really notice it. Dont try any overtaking where you cant see to the next County ahead of you. However they will get you there and you have a much lower chance of getting penalty points

Golf's are very well built, and good quality materials. They are usually very sparse for kit and toys unless you get a Comfort or Highline, or the better specced UK examples, so there is generally less to go wrong. The engines are a well proven product, and simple, so servicing is relatively easy and cheap. Skip the main dealers unless you have a freebie and find a good local independent. Im not personally aware of drivetrain issues with them, but keep an eye out for worn suspensions parts, bushes, bearings etc.

Despite their ubiquity they are held in high esteem in Ireland so they are pricey secondhand, although the diesels attract the premium so hold out for a good 1.4 petrol in excellent condition and drive a bargain. A good 09/10 example can be yours for €11,500-12,000

It wont set your world alight but you'll live with it very happily. Any specific concerns PM me

by looking at donedeal, buy&sell, adverts, prices are from 2,400 to 3,000 for a 1.4 going to put a budget about 2,600 at the very most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

To answer the question 'how good are they' - not good at all is the answer.

Very slow (only 75 bhp) and very unreliable, plus the gearboxes are crap in them as well. The 1.6 eight valve (not the 16 valve version that came out in I think it was 2002 - that's basically a larger version of the 1.4 lump so has all the reliability issues associated with that engine) engine is very reliable but there are still gearbox issues with those and they have a reputation for poor fuel economy. They're a hell of a lot more powerful than the 1.4 too, and performance should be fairly good in them.

The best models are the 1.9 TDIs, bulletproof engine and gearbox, good power in them as well, just make sure it's not owned by a boy racer as it will have had the absolute crap driven out of it. The 1.8 GTI is nice and is also reliable, but probably dear on insurance and are hard to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Yeah the 1.9tdi is the best of the golfs from that era! My 01 is just short of 170k miles and she's still rock solid, hasn't given a days trouble!!
    My friend has a '00 1.4 golf and it has been a nightmare, I think he is on gearbox number 3!! Surprisingly though there is 200k miles on it :0 for the money he spent keeping it going till now he could be driving something a lot nicer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

In 2002, I test drove a MarkIV 1.4 and found it very underpowered. I ended up buying a 1.6 Highline from new and it was reasonably nippy (but I was coming from a 2.0 Celica so it was always going to be boring relative to that car). My brother still drives it and it has been largely trouble-free (barring a leak from the windscreen that some f*ckwit 3rd-party company caused by damaging a seal when they replaced the original windscreen that had cracked from a stone chip).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1.4 Golf of that era is hugely over rated. Slow and unreliable too. Not a good combo.

looks like the 1.4 isnt that strong might have a look at the 1.6 but Id say i might be priced out....... I will probaly have 2,600 at the end of next month if everything goes ok

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

A Ford Focus of that era is a much better proposition, cheaper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

looks like the 1.4 isnt that strong might have a look at the 1.6 but Id say i might be priced out....... I will probaly have 2,600 at the end of next month if everything goes ok

Have a look at the Seat Leon 1.6 litre, its a Golf underneath but they don't cost as much to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

How's mk4 golf 1.4?

It's like a stabbed rat. Not very fast, won't last long and not a looker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I bought a 2005 1.4 Golf new ,

It burned oil heavily... the garage told me its a fault with Golfs

Small stones/pebbles used to get between the brake caliper and shoe (my terminology might be wrong) , it used to sound like the brake pads were breaking up.

It stopped dead in traffic on me , had to get it recovered and it spent three days with VW , who never actually found anything specific problem.Rinse and repeat this performance twice more.

They look nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The Mk5 isn't much better.

I have one as a company car and i've been driving it for the last 4 years doing 25,000 miles a year. So far i've had the following problems:

two failed bearings,
    igntion coil fault,
    cracked exhaust manifold,
    throttle valve sticking which means it has to be cleaned regularly or car goes into limp home mode,
    rear windscreen washer leaking in boot,
    driver window has a mind of it own, I've come back to find it fully opened a few times,
    stones and pebbles get caught in the brake guards which makes an awful racket,
    a small pebble got stuck in under the accelerator peddle when driving along motorway meaning i coundn't press it down and has to drive danferously slow to the next exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I have a Mk5 from new, no problems at all. It's 1.4 and wouldn't say it's underpowered, unless you want or expect GTI performance. This is the first time I've ever seem complaints about burning oil to be honest. I keep mine well serviced and it drives like new, which is good as I plan on keeping it a few more years.
    I think the Mk4 model is great too. If anything I think it looks better then the new models.

The 1.4 is the same in the Mk4 and Mk5s, so it's equally brutal in both cars.

Of the Mk5s, I'd probably go for the 1.6 FSI, plenty of power and much better fuel economy than the regular 1.6. Despite being a hell of a lot more complicated than the 1.4, it seems to be very reliable as well. The 1.9 in the Mk5 was only available with 105 bhp (you could have it with 100, 130 or 150 in the Mk4, and the 130 is properly quick), and the 2.0 TDI is brutal for reliability as well, so the 1.6 FSI or else the 2.0 GTI are the best models in the Mk5 range for me.

The Focus is an excellent car, and is a lot more reliable than the Golf, but the 1.4 is equally useless in that car as it is in the Golf. The 1.4 Corolla is actually very good performance wise, it's no ball of fire, but it has almost as much power as a 1.6 Golf or Focus. The 2002-2007 model Corolla is actually a very good car full stop, a lot better than the older Corollas, or indeed the newer Auris/Corolla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

IMO Golfs are not worth the premium.

They are still living off the legendary Mk2 reliability (possibly perceived reliability) and of course VW's excellent marketing dept , but TBH, a lot of Korean cars are better.

My 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

mullingar wrote: »
    IMO Golfs are not worth the premium.

They are still living off the legendary Mk2 reliability (possibly perceived reliability) and of course VW's excellent marketing dept , but TBH, a lot of Korean cars are better.

My 2c

The TDis have kept the tradition of reliability going. Mine ('00) has 168k miles up and only one breakdown, when an engine management relay shat itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

A Ford Focus of that era is a much better proposition, cheaper too.

The Focus Mk 1 (98-05) 1.4 is only okay in
    The Focus Mk 2 (05-11) 1.4 is slower than the first mass produced MS-DOS PC

The Golf Mk 4 (98-04) 1.4 is slow
    The Golf Mk 5 (04-10) 1.4 is worse than the aforementioned Focus Mk 2

Look at the Astra G (98-04), I had a 1.6, but the 1.4 isn't bad, bar the need to be minded to avoid head gasket issues; Certainly not as slow as the Focus or Golf. The Citroën Xsara is also worth looking at, nice nippy car for the size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

The gearboxes also go south, and are a pain in the hole to remove and re-fit. I no likee 1.4 golfs. I do quite like the turbodiesels tho, and I also like the wallowy but versatile GTI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

OP my advice would be go and test drive few of them if you really like this car.
    I wouldn't really take much notice of what most of the posters are talking about these VAG petrol cars.
    I drive Passat 1.6 petrol (102 hp) and according to most posters it's so dangerously underpowered car that you should never drive it outside of town and your most likely to get killed in it when trying to overtake anything on national roads.
    And I do drive this car both on motorway, national roads and city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Bobo78 wrote: »
    OP my advice would be go and test drive few of them if you really like this car.
    I wouldn't really take much notice of what most of the posters are talking about these VAG petrol cars.
    I drive Passat 1.6 petrol (102 hp) and according to most posters it's so dangerously underpowered car that you should never drive it outside of town and your most likely to get killed in it when trying to overtake anything on national roads.
    And I do drive this car both on motorway, national roads and city.

I had a 57hp Corsa that moved faster than the 1.4 Golf, people are not underestimating its slowness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Well, I disagree I drive Passat 1.6 petrol 8v not FSI and I don't find it even remotely underpowered as people claim they are on boards.
    And before Passat I had Mazda 6 1.8 petrol which according to boards is adequately powered car. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

For 2,600 you would be better off with a TDI Golf or if you can afford the runnings costs MK4 GTI's are now supercheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

hopefully a 03 but might go 02 depending on money...........

Family member has an '03 from new. Very low mileage on it (about 50k if even that) and engine has been using lots of oil (1l / 1000 miles or so - almost Alfa Romeo oil consumption :D)

About 3 times the coil packs have been replaced and some minor electrical issues, so fairly reliable

Engine sounds very tappety

Engine is not very powerful but adequate in day to day traffic

Me, I'd get a Focus ;)

Oh and a Golf 1.4 petrol is a small car. It weighs 1065kg, not quit the 1400kg someone mentioned :p

• Advertisement

im only learning about cars so forgive me for some questions..

somebody earlier said that I would be better off with a 1.6 golf is that the right opinion or should I try something else

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

The 1.4 is the same in the Mk4 and Mk5s, so it's equally brutal in both cars.

Of the Mk5s, I'd probably go for the 1.6 FSI, plenty of power and much better fuel economy than the regular 1.6. Despite being a hell of a lot more complicated than the 1.4, it seems to be very reliable as well. The 1.9 in the Mk5 was only available with 105 bhp (you could have it with 100, 130 or 150 in the Mk4, and the 130 is properly quick), and the 2.0 TDI is brutal for reliability as well, so the 1.6 FSI or else the 2.0 GTI are the best models in the Mk5 range for me.

The Focus is an excellent car, and is a lot more reliable than the Golf, but the 1.4 is equally useless in that car as it is in the Golf. The 1.4 Corolla is actually very good performance wise, it's no ball of fire, but it has almost as much power as a 1.6 Golf or Focus. The 2002-2007 model Corolla is actually a very good car full stop, a lot better than the older Corollas, or indeed the newer Auris/Corolla.

Just curious and a little off topic but how much would you say a 05 corolla with 50000 miles on the clock abut with a number of scraches and a cracked drivers side mirror and a broken drivers seat adjuster would fetch privately by cash. The NCT and tax would not expire till the end of the year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

1.4 Golf of that era is hugely over rated. Slow and unreliable too. Not a good combo.

don't know the Irish fascination with golfs, they are basically a rich mans hyundai.

the 2.0TFSI models are good., the 1.4 ones are as fast as a hyundai accent.

somebody earlier said that I would be better off with a 1.6 golf is that the right opinion or should I try something else

thanks

learning or going buying?

if buying (and a learner) a 1.6 is a tad on the high side.

the general consensus on golfs is that they are overpriced for what they are, especially the 1.4 ones.

learning or going buying?

Im not a learner driver :) im learning about buying and learning about what cars are worth buying.

A friend of a friend just told me the same that the 1.4 is not the quickest and that the 1.6 is better if I could go that far. Im not looking for the fastest car more of a reliable car.

If you want reliability, you definitely don't want a 1.4 Golf! Also you may not need something that is very fast, but it is nice to know when you're overtaking something that you've enough power to safely do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

bazz26 wrote: »
    Have a look at the Seat Leon 1.6 litre, its a Golf underneath but they don't cost as much to buy.

Here's one that needs fixing for 750 euro.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3576767

And here's one thats being broken for parts, which you could use to sort the above.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/carparts/3150279

im getting the point now 1.4 not that reliable and not the quickest...... so is a 1.6 any better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

the 1.6 is a lot better, it gets complicated though you need to be sure its the 1.6 16v and not the 1.6 8v (which is a paint dryer)

16v okay looks like I would be better looking at a 1.6 golf at the end of next month....

stupid question how would I know that its a 16v ?

drive it and pass something out and you will know soon enough.

if you cant pass it out its a 8v.

• Advertisement

No the 16 valve is a disaster - it's the eight valve one you want if you're after reliability. The 1.4 and 1.6 16 valve are from the same engine 'family' (the 1.6 is if you like a stretched 1.4), the eight valve is a totally unrelated engine and is far more reliable, although again the gearboxes aren't great in them.

why not get something cheaper and more reliable (and faster) like a seat.

a 1.25 fiesta zetec is as good as them golfs mentioned.

How about an Audi guys ?

How about an Audi guys ?

An Audi is for people who like VWs but think they're too cheap and too good value for money! They're exactly the same car as any VW, Seat or Skoda (well the cheap ones are at any rate, the higher up models are their own work to be fair to them), and to be quite harsh but truthful about it, it never fails to amaze me how many people are stupid enough to pay more for an almost identical car just so they can have a car with the four rings on the keyfob!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

thanks

myself and a buddy both own golfs, he a 00 1.4 and me a 99 1.6. he replaced the engine and exhaust and a few smaller problems that took it off the road for various lengths.

the back wiper motor on my 1.6 stopped working.

both cars about 130k, I know which I'd buy again.

but dumb luck plays a huge role in any individual car's reliability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

I had both Mk.4 and Mk.5 1.4 Golfs for years and never had a bit of trouble with either.

I agree that they're definitely underpowered though.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

OP, Just drive some yourself and buy it based on condition rather than age and mileage.

Look for a service history, (stamped service book and perhaps receipts) it doesn't have to be VW garage, any decent garage will fill in the service book properly.
    I think the timing belt on the 1.4 needs to be done at 120,000kms (correct me if i'm wrong) so check if it was changed in service history. Check the oil Level if you can, its fairly easy to read the dipstick.

Most 1.4 litre cars of that size are going to be underpowered, any difference in performance is mainly down to weight and gearing.

Nobody seems to have asked what environment the car will be used in.
    If you live in a city where you have to get off the line quickly then you may have to work the 1.4 overly hard & overly often, particularly if you are in a place with aggressive/short-interval traffic lights.
    For laid back town driving it would be fine, if 'relaxed'.
    If you live in a mountainous area then look elsewhere, there is not much torque on offer and you will be changing gear a lot.

Picking a car is like buying a suit, everyone has a different opinion and some will try and sell you what you don't need. But at the end of the day you're going to be wearing it so try it on and pick the one you like.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...Picking a car is like buying a suit, everyone has a different opinion and some will try and sell you what you don't need. But at the end of the day you're going to be wearing it so try it on and pick the one you like.

But if lots of people bought a similar suit and the arse fell out of them all you'd be foolish to ignore that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

The 98 /99 ones are rubbish, they made many modifications later on the 1.4, I bought mine in 03 and drove it happily for 8.5 years. Im not sure about the underpowered comments, but its fast enough if driven hard. Not a great overtaker but how often does anyone need to do that?

Problem areas- door seals inside the door card degrade everytime and needs about 4 hours spent on it fixing it or youl get leaks.

Suspension noise- Cheap tie rods about 30 euros +labour to fit

My exhaust failed a few times, not sure if its vws fault as the 2 I bought after were bosal.

Single coilpack failure-25 euros

Engine and box perfect ran on synthetic only...Burns very little oil and has an oil level sensor which tells you to top up, say every 4-5000 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

I've had a mk4 1.4 for the last few years & I'm going to agree with the general consensus, they're slow, although mine has been quite reliable.

A common occurence on many 1.4's incl mine is the failure of the Valve Cover Gasket causing oil to leak in around the spark plugs. It doesn't cause any running issues & still burns less then 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles.

It's not the overtaking thats bothering me but it's steep hills that need momentum to get up easily, othwerwise it's a little unnerving

• Advertisement
Advertisement