Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place for timber DIY

Options
  • 12-07-2012 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭

Been going to B&Q ~ they have massive price differences between the smooth planed wood and the rough planed wood.

I'll only want a couple of sticks for a couple of projects, where is the best place to buy small quantities of wood in Cork. Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

I always get my small bits and pieces of wood from woodies near Kinsale road roundabout. u know- the huge one. they have great selection of both- treated and untreated timber, both smooth and rough also, so whatever u need ur pretty much guaranteed u find some there.
    I dont know B&Q prices, so apparantely i cant give u any comparision there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

kart, thanks, went in there today and they do have a great variety, as you say, lots of choices.

Prices seem somewhat comparable, sizes though are different so I did not see a direct comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I tend to use B&Q for small quantities as most of the builders merchants tend not to supply single pieces.

I find Woodies & B&Q similar in prices - B&Q seem to have a better range especially in the rough sawn & treated ( most of my DIY is outside).

I've started my project. I'm building a garden shed from plans, got my first timbers, boy is this going to be a shed or what.

2x4" in B&Q is €9.90
    2X4" in T&A is €8.58

My findings above were for 8 foot lengths

T&A only do 16 Foot lengths so effectively they were HALF the price from B&Q.

B&Q were €39.60 for 4 sticks
    T&A were €34.32 for 8 sticks ...... T&A cut the lengths for me an all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Go to a ordinary hardware store, a lot lot cheaper.

Not sure where is a good place in city but theres a place in Cobh very good prices compared to B%Q less than half.Same go's for screw's etc robbery plus the heads seem to round easier than the one in a local DIY.You will need good screws cause some of B&Q's screws go in but don't want to come back out if you need to unscrew them:D

Skirting board in B&Q were 18 euro for a pack of 4 6ft lengths, the DIY shop 3.95 for a 16 ft length

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Brooks Haughton at the Togher turnoff were great for me for timber.
    I only buy emergency stuff or small amounts at B&Q

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭familystand

T and A in blackpool are quite good and usualy there prices are good, brooks haughtons customer service is shocking, you will wait ages to be served and then u getthe feelingthat they couldnt care less, i rang there to enquire about some timber 3 weeks ago, spoke to a dublin girl who said she would ring back with an answer, still waiting.
    sorry about typos, doing this on the move

Advertisement