Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

run-back timer?

Options
  • 12-07-2012 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

in what way is a run-back timer different from others? wanting to fit timer for immersion heater preferably as replacement for on of switch. can anyone recommend proper one (uk regulations)? i have this rbt1 but it dont look like suitable for that job. thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

if you mean this one
    http://www.cpelectronics.co.uk/energy-saving-product/timers/multi-range-timers/rbt1

it allows you to switch on the immersion 'immediately' for up to 2 hrs

rather than setting it to heat at a particular time of day

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ed electrical

The big thing about run back timers is they switch of automatically. So you press for the time you want. Mine let's you run it for •5 hour, 1 hr or 2hours. Then it switches off.
    so no worries about leaving it on for longer than you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 chiefness

in what way is a run-back timer different from others? wanting to fit timer for immersion heater preferably as replacement for on of switch. can anyone recommend proper one (uk regulations)? i have this rbt1 but it dont look like suitable for that job. thank you

If your interested in doing something a bit fancier then I would reccomemd isolating your immersion by means of a suitable power relay. In doing this it will future proof your options and also cut down on maintence costs. Migrating your direct load switching from a black box/switch device wil allow you to control your immersion from a variety of devices. For example on a basic level you could send a text message to turn on the immersion when you are leaving the gym.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

There are also one-shot immersion switches out there. No idea of who supplies them but remember seeing them a few years back.

Basically, you press a start button and it keeps the immersion on until the stat switches it off because the tank is hot enough.
    It detects the current drop due to the heater being off and drops out the relay until the next time you press it.
    It's much more efficient than the 1hr boost button on most regular timers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

be alright as long as the stat doesn't stick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If the stat sticks then you've bigger problems as it'll boil the water no matter what you're controlling it with. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    be alright as long as the stat doesn't stick

It would work well with a timed cutout as backup.

I made a run back timer using a microcontroller and relay setup, for the laugh, for the central heating. 3 leds for 1 to 7 hours binary setup. Was sick of the mechanical timer on the boiler sticking.

Works well though.

Advertisement