Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to NZ

• 12-07-2012 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi all.
    I am currently planning to be moving out to NZ by the end of the year. Is anyone else thinking of going around that time.

Also any advice on NZ from anyone who be so helpful.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Salmonfella

Am hopeing to go christchurch mid november all goin well hopeing to go out and get work as a trade assistant electrician or in demo work christchurch seems to be picking up wit steady work from what i am hearing:D..where you planning on goin? and what work you hopeing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 m.mac

Yea, Im thinking of christchurch aswell. Work wise hoping for anything really. Have you managed to get in touch with any companies about work out there and are you going as skilled worker or on WHV.

Well iam goin as an electrician hopeing to be quailfied mid oct here so gonna head mid nov goin on a whv but hopeing to get work as a trade assisitant as it costs a bit and takes a few months to get my quailifcation changed over, have been in contact wit a few companys canstaff,coverstaff and there appears to be a lot of work startin around 18 dollers and hour which be grand...u heading wit many? iam heading solo :rolleyes:

So far just meself thats heading.Every one else seems to want to go to Aus:D. There does seems to be a lot of work. hopefully I can find something as I dont have any formal qualifications so am hoping to get things set up before I head out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 expatrebel

Hi all I`m thinking of heading to New Zealand around Mid Oct/ Nov also solo and have been onto an agency called Hayes (think they are worldwide) and they seem to think they will be able to sort me out with work.

I have a degree in Quantity Surveying along with 3 years experience but hoping to have something lined up before I went out but most companies say that they have been stung too many times by booking flights for people and sorting out visas only for them not to come out in the end.

It would be great to hear from people who are thinking of heading out.

Cheers John

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

What visa are you travelling on Expat? e.g. a Working Holiday or something more permanent?

expatrebel wrote: »
    Hi all I`m thinking of heading to New Zealand around Mid Oct/ Nov also solo and have been onto an agency called Hayes (think they are worldwide) and they seem to think they will be able to sort me out with work.

I have a degree in Quantity Surveying along with 3 years experience but hoping to have something lined up before I went out but most companies say that they have been stung too many times by booking flights for people and sorting out visas only for them not to come out in the end.

It would be great to hear from people who are thinking of heading out.

Cheers John
    Hey John Ian heading out solo too going Christchurch 13th November all going well :) am an electrician :) if ya any questions fire away:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 expatrebel

CatFromHue wrote: »
    What visa are you travelling on Expat? e.g. a Working Holiday or something more permanent?

Hi ya I am going to head out on the working holiday visa but if things go well while out there I will try for something more permanent. I was/am trying to get a company to sponsor me but not sure if I will be successful with that. What are you thinking yourself?

Hi Ian have you got work lined up are you just going out to find work and what visa are you going out on? There seems to be a load of construction work in Christchurch (I have a few mates working in construction and they are all getting on great out there). Most of the feedback I seem to be getting from companies is to head out in their summer as that’s when most of the work kicks off.

Look forward to hearing back from people in the same position!!!

Hey John.
    I am also planning to head out on a WHV. I am unskilled but would be going for work in construction and hoping to get sponsorship. Have you started your visa application yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 20 user45

Can I ask how much money ye are planning on bringing with ye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 JoannaJay

Wat is the weather like in winter? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Weathers fine in winter. Has some rain but nothing compared to Ireland and you get sunny days in winter...how crazy is that i know! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Weather differs hugely by region. There are parts of NZ which get far more rain than the Eastern seaboard in Ireland. It seems to rain for shorter, more intense periods though.

Hopeing to bring 4 to 5 thousand euro and hopeing to get work straight away how much ye bringing?

Advertisement