Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

horticulture courses

Options
  • 12-07-2012 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hi all, was thinking of doing a horticulture course and have applied for one with fás but am not sure if il get it, have also looked at dublin school of horticulture which starts in september and have to apply soon if i want to do this one, has anyone done any of these courses and what are the chances of getting work in the industry afterwards? thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

sam tryler wrote: »
    hi all, was thinking of doing a horticulture course and have applied for one with fás but am not sure if il get it, have also looked at dublin school of horticulture which starts in september and have to apply soon if i want to do this one, has anyone done any of these courses and what are the chances of getting work in the industry afterwards? thanks

ITB and also Botanic Gardens do their own seperate horticulture courses.

If you are thinking of getting work from the OPW after doing horticulture,then forget it.

The Department of Finance controls the OPW nowadays and there is still an employment embargo in operation.

The OPW and County Council are most likely looking to offload workers,if anything.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

hi sam do the course if you get it,it is always better to have some qualifications ,
    at the moment there is not much work in the nurseries front after the resent hard winters and bad summers your best bet there might be seasonal work next year or try get work in garden maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sam tryler

thanks,
    wasnt really hoping for anything in the public sector, thats a lost cause as far as i can make out but hope to go ahead and do a course and get some kind of qualification and see where it takes me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 saffy27

I did the Horticultural course at the Botanical Gardens in Glasnevin in 2005, and I have to say I would not recommend the experience to anyone. Now, things may have changed by now, and I certainly hope it has. But when I was there the course for Cert students was extremely difficulty it is almost as if they have it set up that way so you will fail. When I was there you would be sent out to a park for two days a week to gain horticultural experience, while I would agree that this is a very practical idea, I would say be extremely careful of what parks you get sent too. The first park that I got sent to the head garderner was very intimadating and aggressive, when we reported this back to our course director she had a meeting with this man, and to cut a long story short I was told and I quote 'keep your mouth shut or you will be making more trouble for yourself.' There were other very strange things that went on while I was there, and from pass pupils that I met afterwards it would seem that the Bots has quiet a negative reputation amongst many of its ex students. In the end I did pass the course, and only 10 of us out of a class of 50 did I think, but despite all my efforts and hard work I was unable to get a permanent position as a horticulturist anywhere. If I was starting over again I would definetly look elsewhere to do a horticultural course, I believe there is a very good one in County Clare. Anyway I hope this post helps and the very best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Im a 4th year doing Horticulture out in Blanch and I would recommend it. All though the facility's are not quite up to scratch yet (this is the 4th year that the course is running) the lecturer's are excellent. There are job opportunity's at the end of it, but you'll have to be inventive as there is not much work in the traditional area's i.e OPW etc. My plan is to try and get into hort therapy.

• Advertisement

saffy27 wrote: »
    I did the Horticultural course at the Botanical Gardens in Glasnevin in 2005, and I have to say I would not recommend the experience to anyone. Now, things may have changed by now, and I certainly hope it has. But when I was there the course for Cert students was extremely difficulty it is almost as if they have it set up that way so you will fail. When I was there you would be sent out to a park for two days a week to gain horticultural experience, while I would agree that this is a very practical idea, I would say be extremely careful of what parks you get sent too. The first park that I got sent to the head garderner was very intimadating and aggressive, when we reported this back to our course director she had a meeting with this man, and to cut a long story short I was told and I quote 'keep your mouth shut or you will be making more trouble for yourself.' There were other very strange things that went on while I was there, and from pass pupils that I met afterwards it would seem that the Bots has quiet a negative reputation amongst many of its ex students. In the end I did pass the course, and only 10 of us out of a class of 50 did I think, but despite all my efforts and hard work I was unable to get a permanent position as a horticulturist anywhere. If I was starting over again I would definetly look elsewhere to do a horticultural course, I believe there is a very good one in County Clare. Anyway I hope this post helps and the very best of luck with it.

You get out of it what you put into it.

What did you do your thesis on??

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean when you wrote 'You get out of it what you put into it?'
    And to answer your question we were not required to do a thesis in this particular course.

I'm sorry I don't know what you mean when you wrote 'You get out of it what you put into it?'
    And to answer your question we were not required to do a thesis in this particular course.

So no thesis then,no problem

What fetac level did you do?

The phrase ......."you get out of it what you put into it"...... refers to and means that you get from a course the same amount of learning and effort that you put into it in the 1st place.

I didn't say it was a degree course. I said I was a Cert student. And I did work very hard at it otherwise I would not have passed.Why did you assume that I didn't work hard at it?

I didn't say it was a degree course. I said I was a Cert student. And I did work very hard at it otherwise I would not have passed.Why did you assume that I didn't work hard at it?

Did you do Fetac level 5 where there was continous assesements each week and month??

I never said that you didnt work hard.

But to say that only 10 out of 50 passed,me thinks that some students didnt take things as seriously as they should have??;)

You seem to come down hard on the Botanics and blame them,yet I know alot of students that passed Fetac and BSC degree courses in the Botanics with flying colours.

There will allways be some students (regardless of what course they are on) who will work and learn their arses off,and there will allways be some who think that they can doss along and pick it up later on down the line.

Thats when its too late and then they fail the course.

• Advertisement

I agree with that, but, and I'm not trying to be rude, but in this case I would completely disagree with that. While I would say there was a small number who didn't care, a lot of them really did care and it was actually heartbreaking to see them when they realised they didn't make it. Regardless, my reason for my original post was to help someone who did want to do horticulture and I would recommend them doing it, but just make sure its the right one, and I wanted to be as honest as I possibly could, considering, it wasn't my intention to get into a pointless argument. It serves no purpose.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Im a 4th year doing Horticulture out in Blanch and I would recommend it. All though the facility's are not quite up to scratch yet (this is the 4th year that the course is running) the lecturer's are excellent. There are job opportunity's at the end of it, but you'll have to be inventive as there is not much work in the traditional area's i.e OPW etc. My plan is to try and get into hort therapy.
    I heard from loads of people that this course is really good.

I agree with that, but, and I'm not trying to be rude, but in this case I would completely disagree with that. While I would say there was a small number who didn't care, a lot of them really did care and it was actually heartbreaking to see them when they realised they didn't make it. Regardless, my reason for my original post was to help someone who did want to do horticulture and I would recommend them doing it, but just make sure its the right one, and I wanted to be as honest as I possibly could, considering, it wasn't my intention to get into a pointless argument. It serves no purpose.

Pointless arguement??

Where??:confused:

I dont see any arguemnt here,just merely 2 people giving opinions and thoughts,but no argeuments.

You have your opinion of the Botanics,but others have theirs too,positive opinions and experiences at that.No harm in that.;)

What fetac level did you do??:)

The original post by Sam Tryler asked had anyone done these courses. I answered as honestly as I could, I did not dismiss anyone else's opinion or experience.

The original post by Sam Tryler asked had anyone done these courses. I answered as honestly as I could, I did not dismiss anyone else's opinion or experience.

No problem.:)

What Fetac level did you do??

Why?

Why?

Simple question,thats all

Dont see any problem in that.

Sorry but why are you even on this thread? Your posts to me have nothing to do with this discussion.

Sorry but why are you even on this thread? Your posts to me have nothing to do with this discussion.

In your original post you said you did "the horticultural course".
    I did the Horticultural course at the Botanical Gardens in Glasnevin in 2005.

So Im simply asking which one you did?

Why is it so hard to say which one you did???:confused:

paddy147 wrote: »
    In your original post you said you did "the horticultural course".

So Im simply asking which one you did?

Why is it so hard to say which one you did???:confused:
    Because this thread is not about me. And frankly you are coming off a little strange, so I'd appreciate if you didn't communicate with me any further.

• Advertisement

Because this thread is not about me. And frankly you are coming off a little strange, so I'd appreciate if you didn't communicate with me any further.

So you have alot to say about the Botanic Gardens (all negative).

You are simply asked about the thesis and you say you didnt do a thesis.

And when you are simply asked what level of horticulture you completed,you cannot and will not answer??

Strange indeed.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

OP, would you consider going to the UK? The RHS accredited courses are expensive, but are very well regarded. The irish ones in general don't have a brilliant reputation internationally.

Paddy147, lay off with the interrogation of that poster. Way too personal. Bit stalkerish really. Do you want their address as well or what?

WOW.......comes on to boards absolutely slating the Botanic Gardens and making all sorts of wild claims.......with their very 1st post on Boards.

Person cant say what actual horticultural course he/she did (becomes very offended that someone dare to ask what Fetac Level ),and now their account is closed.

Yet very well willing and able to post and make wild claims about the Botanic Gardens and the lecturers.

Yep,very strange indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'd say you freaked them the heck out with the weird badgering. I would have closed my account too if I were a newb attacked in such a way. What is it even to you? You have not posted any horticultural qualifications yourself, FETAC level or otherwise and you offered nothing to the threads content whatsoever except to harrass that poster. It looks like you were trying to eke out more and more information so that you could personally identify them. To what end?

And, where is the moderation in this forum? Yet another thread dragged totally off topic AGAIN by paddy147.

pwurple wrote: »
    I'd say you freaked them the heck out with the weird badgering. I would have closed my account too if I were a newb attacked in such a way. What is it even to you? You have not posted any horticultural qualifications yourself, FETAC level or otherwise and you offered nothing to the threads content whatsoever except to harrass that poster. It looks like you were trying to eke out more and more information so that you could personally identify them. To what end?

And, where is the moderation in this forum? Yet another thread dragged totally off topic AGAIN by paddy147.

I simply replied to a post with alot of accusations about the Botanic Gardens,its lecturers and courses being set up to purposely fail people.

Its not my fault that the person chose to become very offended and then to evade a simple honest question.I did not harrass anyone and did not force anyone to leave this forum either.

That was their own personal choice to close their account and leave.

Also simply saying/posting something like a Fetac level does not personally identify a person on a forum...(maybe you think it does though).

Also my posts did not go off topic,as they were "in reply" to what "the person in question had posted from the outset".
    Im sorry you dont see it this way,and now want to talk about moderators and moderating.....(going way off topic there yourself).

Just to keep you happy,I,ll say no more on the matter.

Now you be good and be safe too.

Thanks and Regards.:)

PS-With regards various gardening threads going off topic and you accusing me of doing it on several gardening threads,maybe you should "actually read those threads" propperly 1st,then you would see that theres no going off topic at all,but there is serious debate betwen different members that are in relation to the thread topic and advice given.Go and have a good long read of those threads for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

Paddy I remember once reading a topic that you replied to, in which you stated you were not a gardener.Have you done these courses in the Botanic Gardens and got a degree/Cert. Saffy 27 was simply given an opinion on the the course that he/she done,and how difficult it was to pass.I see no problem with that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

pwurple wrote: »
    OP, would you consider going to the UK? The RHS accredited courses are expensive, but are very well regarded. The irish ones in general don't have a brilliant reputation internationally.

Paddy147, lay off with the interrogation of that poster. Way too personal. Bit stalkerish really. Do you want their address as well or what?

hi pwurple, not really in a position to go to the uk so will go down the irish road for the moment and see where it takes me, but good to know whats gets good recognition.

thanks saffy 27, appreciate your opinion and experience, am doing a course now but its not the botanic gardens, maybe il look into clare in the future.

Advertisement