Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance and ttc

Options
  • 12-07-2012 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I suppose I am going to become a regular on this forum( but hopefully not for too long!). I have a lot of questions I hope the knowlegable will be able to help me with. We had our first appointment with MFC last week. The doc recommended that I have a lap and dye, and if that is clear on to IUI.
    Like everyone at the minute money is tight. Does anyone have an idea of the prices for this?
    Also will be having AMH test, which I understand is check the ovarian reserves. I have already have a scan and the doctor said my reserves were good, so why the need for the blood test? Also if anyone could tell me the price of this test. I have read online prices range from 30e up to 150e so if it is unneccasary, I could pass on that.

Right to the point on the post. Neither myself or my partner have health insurance, would it wise to get a policy or is it too late now that I have already seen a consultant? I have read that insurance doesn't cover fertility treatments is this true?
    Also my partner is on disability allowance so maybe he could get a medical card, would that cover his SA's etc?
    Looking at the cost of things is a bit overwhelming when the sucess rates seem so low, so want to try as much as possible to ensure that costs are not the reason why we decide not to proceed with treatments.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

A laparoscopy and dye done privately costs €2000, if it's being done public I'm not so sure. It is something that I think could be covered publically though the wait may be longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

barbiegirl wrote: »
    A laparoscopy and dye done privately costs €2000, if it's being done public I'm not so sure. It is something that I think could be covered publically though the wait may be longer.

Thanks for that, thats very expensive. I had a laparosopy done in 06 publicly, I wonder if it would be possible to get it done again, or do I have to go private seeing as we are private with the Mfc and it will be there that is referring.
    I should prob give them a ring, but have spoken to them so much over the last few days, I was trying to give them a break!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Also you couldn't get health insurance now and claim, as it would be a pre-existing condition, unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

the tests aren't fully covered under health insurance apart from a lap & dye. Depending on the health insurance, you can send in your receipts at the end of the year & get a portion of it back, as long as its over the excess. Or send in the receipts at end of year to revenue for tax back.

We had a lot of tests done, but unfortunately not enough to get anything back on our health insurance due to the excess, which was very annoying. The lap & dye was covered with my insurance, and I had to stay the night as I wasn't feeling well after (that's me with aesthetics!). If you go public, you will have a bit of waiting to do. I was originally on the public waiting list to see the same gyne, but after 5 months & still no appointment to see her, I asked if we could go private, and had an appointment in a matter of days! After the initial consultation, I was sent for the lap&dye a week later! If I had stayed on the public list I would have been waiting months!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Unfortunately Even if you had insurance you will get very little if anything back. You will get 20% back on tax if you are working and paying enough.

However don't be afraid to question the tests and tell the doctors you are on a tight budget let them explain why they are nessacary and the you can make the decision with their guidance. It may seem a bit callus but engaging with your doctors on every level is important, everyone's treatment is tailored to their circumstances.

Myself and my wife have been down this road twice and the best advice I can give is to try and relax as much as possible and keep positive.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I rang Aviva this morning asking if they cover any of the tests I will require for fertility treatment. They said that they do not cover fertility treatment of any sort. I asked about a test like an ultra sound, they said I could send in my receipts at the end of the year and they’re assessors would look at them. He said that if it was purely for fertility treatment, it would not be covered, but if it was for any other gynaecological treatment it would be covered. He basically was saying that the fact that the tests would be performed in a private fertility clinic, they would not be covered. If they were performed in a hospital, even if they were for fertility treatment, there’s a chance they’d be paid.

I rang my fertility clinic this morning (have only just been referred) they were very nice and very open about pricing and what the likely prices would be. Obviously they can’t be exact without having treated me, but she was very helpful and gave me a good indication of what I can expect to pay at the start at least.

I agree with cram1971, if money is an issue, be open with your doctor at the beginning. I’m sure they’re well used to it.

Cram1971, can you claim fertility treatment as a medical expense when claiming tax back? I didn’t realise that, that’s better than nothing!

Thanks cram, thats good advice. As always in these alien situations, I feel a bit out of my depth and just going along with what the doctor is saying without questioning. Have another appointment on Thursday so think I will spend the night on the net doing some research and getting some questions together so I can ask her at the next appointment.

ncmc wrote: »
    I rang Aviva this morning asking if they cover any of the tests I will require for fertility treatment. They said that they do not cover fertility treatment of any sort. I asked about a test like an ultra sound, they said I could send in my receipts at the end of the year and they’re assessors would look at them. He said that if it was purely for fertility treatment, it would not be covered, but if it was for any other gynaecological treatment it would be covered. He basically was saying that the fact that the tests would be performed in a private fertility clinic, they would not be covered. If they were performed in a hospital, even if they were for fertility treatment, there’s a chance they’d be paid.

I rang my fertility clinic this morning (have only just been referred) they were very nice and very open about pricing and what the likely prices would be. Obviously they can’t be exact without having treated me, but she was very helpful and gave me a good indication of what I can expect to pay at the start at least.

I agree with cram1971, if money is an issue, be open with your doctor at the beginning. I’m sure they’re well used to it.

Cram1971, can you claim fertility treatment as a medical expense when claiming tax back? I didn’t realise that, that’s better than nothing!

Yeah, you can claim 20%/42% back on any medical treatment afaik, I am planning to also claim for blood tests too.

Yeah, you can claim 20%/42% back on any medical treatment afaik, I am planning to also claim for blood tests too.

That's good to know, I claim every year, but wasn't sure if something 'elective' like fertility treatment would be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Unfortunatly it is now limited to 20%, you used to be able to get it at the higher rate but is was reduced about 2-3 years ago.

My wife required to have cyst drainage done during the 1st treatment which was covered by Aviva as far as I remember.

We submitted all receipts anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ncmc wrote: »

Oh meant to say, my clinic told me that the health insurance companies don't cover fertility treatment, BUT if the clinic gives you a receipt with no description on it, then you can send them in. Mine gave me receipts, didn't say what the treatment was for (it could be normal gyne issues), and I still sent them in. I didn't get anything back purely because we didn't meet the excess which was annoying seeing as we pay so much for the insurance and spent a lot on tests!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Oh meant to say, my clinic told me that the health insurance companies don't cover fertility treatment, BUT if the clinic gives you a receipt with no description on it, then you can send them in. Mine gave me receipts, didn't say what the treatment was for (it could be normal gyne issues), and I still sent them in. I didn't get anything back purely because we didn't meet the excess which was annoying seeing as we pay so much for the insurance and spent a lot on tests!

My understanding with what the guy from Aviva was saying was that if the receipts were from a fertility centre rather than a hospital, then their assessors may look for more details. However, I have found that Aviva very much give ‘the official line’ on the phone and then actually do pay out. My husband has a pre existing illness that is not covered by our health insurance yet. He was in hospital as a public patient for this illness and so was liable for the €100 per night hospital charge. I rang Aviva to see if they covered that and they said absolutely not, but we chanced our arm and sent the claim in and they paid it with no issue! So certainly no harm to send in the receipts and hope for the best!

Advertisement