Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow moving sellers

• 12-07-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    My first post on the site, im sorry it had to be a rant

Myself and my partner have been trying to buy a certain house for the past 5 months, we are first time buyers so we didnt really know exactly the full process and are really at our wits end with the sellers/vendors of the property, all the way along they have stalled and stalled the process, I know we could have backed out of the sale but its a house we really wanted, we have threatened to pull out several times but it doesn't make the sellers budge, I'll give you a quick timeline of what has happened so far

February -> Gave booking deposit to Estate agent
    March -> Got Valuation and Structural Surveys Done
    March-April -> Awaiting contracts from Vendors solicitor, got loan approval
    Mid May -> Signed Contracts on our side and put down a closing date of 3 weeks, seller doesn't agree to the 3 weeks and instruments in the land registry cause concern for our solicitor, instruments are requested from the sellers solicitor, this takes 3-4 weeks alone
    June -> Sellers solicitor finds additional debt associated with the home and requests redemption figures from the bank, this takes another 2 weeks, sellers reluctantly sign their contracts (after trying to delay another 2 weeks), loan approval about to lapse so we decide that the solicitor can draw down the funds on the opinion that we were getting to the closing stage
    July -> Attempting to close, seller gives provisional date of the 10th August???

Another month we have to wait on this property? Is there nothing we can do here? Our solicitor has started the process of a "Completion Notice" but I believe this can take 28 days to run anyway, so either way the seller is getting their way and they won't budge from this date and we will be starting to pay our mortgage even though we aren't even in the house yet

I know we have probably made some mistakes on the way but like I said we are first time buyers and knew nothing of the market and we really wanted this home.

If anyone can offer any advice for us to get things moving, I would be really greatful

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭whippet

to be honest there is little more you can do but keep putting pressure on.

Buying a house is a two way process, between a buyer and a seller. Just because the buyer is in a hurry does not mean the seller is and vice versa.

While you are still engaged in the process with the sellers you are somewhat at the mercy of them and their solicitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭poker--addict

what kind of reasons see the seller make such huge efforts to stall it?

😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

It's a 2 way process but it's wholly controlled by the vendor and the pace they want to go at.. The most important thing from your point of view is that they have signed the contracts and haven't pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 trisha398

Hi

Just wondering how you got on with the Completion Notice, I too am in a similar situation to yourself and the vendors are being stubborn and really not making an effort to move out of their house. What happened when the Completion Notice date arrived?

Advertisement