Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunscreen handprints on side of van

Options
  • 12-07-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

As above... Must be common problem with MHs going to the sun!!
    Anyway have a few handprints around the door from little ones going in and out that isn't shifting when washed.

Any specific polish that will shift this??
    And while were at it which wax?

Have a day off tomorrow(from the kids!)... So was planning a few jobs in the van and might polish and wax it if this rain ever stops.

Anyone buy the polisher in lidl for 17£?

Marty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I have a silver Ducato and was gutted when I saw the state of van whiteish marks all round side door.Couldn't figure out what it was for ages until I saw it on the roof front and back where i was attaching the awning(tarp).They disappear if i rub them or wet them but soon return.
    I think the sunblock has seeped into the clear coat and i think i'm stuck with them.Looks very bad on the silver and i think it wouldn't be noticable atall on a white van. What colour is yours.Also let me know if the polish sorts them have me doubts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Mines White.... It's not that noticeable only in a certain light and to be fair I'm probably the only one who sees them!!

Did a bit of trawling the net and a corrective polish and an electric polisher should see results. Apparently elbow grease not usually enough.

Anyway other views welcome and I'll report back if I get a chance to give if a go.

Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

rubbing compound , then polish should sort it.

Ok lads did a bit of research on this and found a product that works.
    It's called Autoglym super resin polish.
    I'd handprints all over side if van, really bad on the door surprise surprise!!
    I first noticed these over a year ago so not new either!!

Had a loan of a battery polisher(cheap one from aldi).. And I had the side if the van polished and buffed in 10 minutes..

Hope this helps someone!!!
    Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Anyway have a few handprints around the door from little ones going in and out that isn't shifting when washed.

Have a day off tomorrow(from the kids!)... So was planning a few jobs in the van and might polish and wax it if this rain ever stops.

Marty.

Tcut have a PVC cleaner for use on white PVC windows, doors , garden chairs etc
    Worth investigating.

• Advertisement

Marty.

Tcut have a PVC cleaner for use on white PVC windows, doors , garden chairs etc
    Worth investigating.

From what I've read tcut is the last thing you should put on gel coat....all the detailing forums I read had nothing positive to say about it.

Marty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Great to hear you sorted it we had same issue on three of our cars seems to be more of a problem with the new low voc / acrylic paints sunscreed contains ethylene glycol bit like spilling antifreeze on your paintwork. we had no success with one car local guy sprayed it with fadeout thinner in the end which made it less obvious.

Regarding t-cut people seem to miss the the word cut. Its an abrasive you're basically wearing down the paint to remove the marks very easy to go all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Ok lads did a bit of research on this and found a product that works.
    It's called Autoglym super resin polish.
    I'd handprints all over side if van, really bad on the door surprise surprise!!
    I first noticed these over a year ago so not new either!!

Had a loan of a battery polisher(cheap one from aldi).. And I had the side if the van polished and buffed in 10 minutes..

Hope this helps someone!!!
    Marty.

Worked for me too - kids white handprints all over the car - tried all kinds of stuff - but this actually worked....

Cheap too on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AutoGlym-Super-Resin-Polish-500ml/dp/B0011E06XA

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jsd1004

ozmo wrote: »
    Worked for me too - kids white handprints all over the car - tried all kinds of stuff - but this actually worked....

Cheap too on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AutoGlym-Super-Resin-Polish-500ml/dp/B0011E06XA
    Cant believe people think sunscreen is harmless and plaster it on kids when it has some of the most toxic and abrasive chemicals known.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/05/24/study-many-sunscreens-may-be-accelerating-cancer/

Advertisement