Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mint Office- Just when you thought you were safe-

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

I had a post going in a previous thread re my mam buying stuff from this shower. She just ignored all the correspondence and eventually it stopped. Dont mean to resurrect an old thread but i'll bet people have bought gifts of these coins as xmas presents and have no idea what they are getting into.......BE WARNED!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Have they newly added the collection button on some of the products on their site?

This seems to say exactly what they are doing.
    Given the trouble people have with Ryanair I wouldn't be surprised if people didn't pay attention to the full advertising.

But I don't know if these are new or always been there. Anyone comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

missus got junk mail from Dublin mint office today offering the michael collins coin and others, dunno how they got her address, how are they still operating if they are a <SNIP>, gotta say the coins look lovely but from what i have read on here i told her to avoid like the plague. would love to know who they got her addy off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

missus got junk mail from Dublin mint office today offering the michael collins coin and others, dunno how they got her address, how are they still operating if they are a <SNIP>, gotta say the coins look lovely but from what i have read on here i told her to avoid like the plague. would love to know who they got her addy off.

I'm quite interested to know this too. We got one today for the same coin, and it's addressed to a family member who died almost five years ago, and who never ever got <SNIP> post when they were alive.

Anybody any suggestions how I can find out where they got the details? I've been following threads here about this crowd before, which is why I am particularly interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

My wife got one - my best guess is that they are using the electoral register.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

I got one of their firefighters too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

LeftBlank wrote: »
    My wife got one - my best guess is that they are using the electoral register.

Not sure on that one, I got one to my family home address, I'm not registered to vote there.

The postman said he had hundreds of them to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

HI, I know there have been threads on this place before but I just received a coin in the post yesterday for which I stupidly applied because it was 'only 9.95' :rolleyes: and the amount of crap they sent me with it was unreal!.

So I rang them and the lady said that she would send out a returns label to me and also advised that I get proof of postage from the post office.

I also asked to be removed from their marketing list and she said to put a cover note in the envelope with the coin??

Also, she asked for the invoice number when I was on the phone but I couldn't find any 'invoice' in the envelope - does anyone know what the invoice is?

I'm really pissed off that I fell for this.:(

Has anyone had any experiences with them recently?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged.

Posters - please stay on topic here. This can be a contentious discussion topic, so I want to keep it clean.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jobyvjohn2000

As per my study on internet, Irish Central Bank is the official mint supplier in Ireland. The Dublin Mint Office also has a sister company called London Mint Office. Both are on the same business (One sells Euro coin and other on Pound coins) and they are mis-selling the clients with their own products.

All of their first coins in a series will have a prize €10 and the rest will have €50 or more.

Now they have their own gold coins, which are minted by themselves, but giving a feeling that they are from their respective countries. They are also giving €100 discount. Those coins are only half a gram and costs around €399.

From my experience, it is just another way of mis-selling or a business with a good sense of marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

is to make no communication in the first place ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

faolteam wrote: »
    is to make no communication in the first place ?

If you have bought from any of the companies listed in the various Consumer lists here then you could get mail shots from anyone who wants to pay for the lists (Check all the links under Search Consumer Lists By: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

eirator wrote: »
    If you have bought from any of the companies listed in the various Consumer lists here then you could get mail shots from anyone who wants to pay for the lists (Check all the links under Search Consumer Lists By: )

i was only asking should i make no communication in the first place , they gave me a bill for 15.95 when it should have been 9.95 with postage free

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

The Dublin Mint Office aka Samlerhuset Group from Norway also own London Mint Office, and similar operations in Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway, Estonia, China, Latvia, Czech Republic, Lithuania, Slovakia, Belgium and Hungary. They have connections to legal minting operations in Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Baltic countries. They also have connections to Nobel Prize organisation, FIFA and Olympic organisations. In other words they are extremely well connected.

They are an international mail order company headquartered in either Holland or Norway. They sell mainly traditional collectibles such as coins, medals, stamps, banknotes and coin-letters. They had 400 employees in 2010 and a turnover of 160 million euro. There is zero information about WHO is behind the Samlerhuset Group. It is extremely well hidden, therefore advice would be to steer well clear. An expose of this corporation is well overdue.

A Norwegian expose in 2011 showed Samlerhuset have prices 2-3 times that of the average market price.

They have been slapped on the knuckles by the Norwegian Consumer Authority, and also Advertising Standards Authorities in both the UK and Ireland.

Sharp practice includes misleading wording for their products, no relevant weight or material content description for coins, default opt-in to trickle feed coin collections when only single coin advertised, sending unsolicited products and then promptly threatening debt collection, and obviously offering extremely poor value for money while implying the exact opposite.

They initially used the Brian Boru harp as their logo without the permission of the state. They were subsequently barred from doing so. They then changed their logo to exactly match that of the Irish Stock Exchange.

Note that debt collectors can be safely ignored in Ireland , as they have no more legal power than you or I, and can be easily banned from threatening you. They are extremely unlikely to take anyone to court over the price of one these junk coins. UK is a different situation.

Currently I have received the latest "offer" from these <SNIP>. The latest "deal" from the Dublin Mint Office / Samlerhuset Group is a Brian Boru commemorative which is: "fully layered in PURE Silver". It can be "viewed on approval for up to 14 days" for just €24.95. "Struck to the highest possible quality - Proof". It seems "Proof" is a meaningless non-enforceable standard.

Their new interface is Martin Clement, Head of Special Operations. Tim Banks must've been promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Just a heads up...

I got a circular in the post today from The Dublin Mint Office offering a:
    FREE Padraig Pearse 100th Anniversary Medal

At first glance this looks like an official letter, and given the year that's in it, you might be fooled into believing that this comes from the Irish Mint.
    It doesn't and the people behind it have been the subject of a few threads here before.

People can make up their own minds about whether they want one of these free* medals, but should do so armed with some information:

* +p&p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056375019
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79691257

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Phoebas wrote: »
    Just a heads up...

I got a circular in the post today from The Dublin Mint Office offering a:
    FREE Padraig Pearse 100th Anniversary Medal

At first glance this looks like an official letter, and given the year that's in it, you might be fooled into believing that this comes from the Irish Mint.
    It doesn't and the people behind it have been the subject of a few threads here before.

People can make up their own minds about whether they want one of these free* medals, but should do so armed with some information:

* +p&p

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056375019
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79691257

Yeah you'd do well to avoid this lot. There's a couple of threads on them here. Their MO is to send unsolicited coins and demand payment, usually threatening with debt collectors and mentioning serious debt etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I got this. There is no way you could say that it looks like a real letter — it's unaddressed, so that puts it clearly in the marketing / promotional material category. But that's what they want people to think.

I did hear that the Central Bank will not let them call thier products 'coins' saying that 'they are not legal tender and thus not a coin'. That's why they have to call them 'medals'.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They were running a tv ad around Easter, you could see why people would think it's a government/central bank thing. Even though they don't actually say it is, it is implied.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bansheee

well has anyone had any luck contacting this company .
    Paid for a gold plated medal and a centenary set and only got the " free " silver one !!!

No answer to emails or phone calls .

Joe Duffy methinks ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

There doesn't seem to be any way, or at least any visible way on their website to cancel any order made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If you paid by card, start a charge back. At the very least that will get their attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Broken Hearted Road

There was an ad on TV about a free Padraig pearse medal. My mam was after me to sign up for it. I had doubts because nothing is free but I signed up for it. There was an option to order the medal and pay later when you get it, so I choose that option. When I ordered it, I was notified that there would be a delay in postage like a month or so. To be honest I was and am too busy to give a flying fcuk and the medal I order slipped my mind. Not paying for it upfront helped me to forget easily too.

I'm just after receiving and email from them today asking me to fill in a short questionnaire on the medal. So receiving this email would tell me that they sent the medal, however I never received the medal. It never came either by post or courier. I hope they don't start hounding me now for payment. I mean like, a lot of online companies either send by post or courier and always require a signature. They should have sent this medal in a secure way ie requiring a signature upon delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The same crowd seem to be set up in England doing roughly the same thing with the queens 90th birthday.
    Very flowery language and presentation do make them seem like they're part of the central bank and i suspect are designed to fool you into thinking so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tertonmike

They have real medals in bronze, silver and gold for sale on their website, ranging from €60 to €1000 - although the priciest one only contains 1/4 oz of gold, so despite the recent rise in bullion prices you would be paying a significant premium for the collectability/rarity value (?!).

As regards the "free" offer leafleted to households, a couple of things strike me as odd:
    1. a "limited" edition of 100,000 does NOT mean that only 1 in 100 Irish households will get one (unless there are 10 million households in the country, which patently there aren't) so BS detector is deployed immediately;
    2. nowhere does it state what material the medal is made of. Suspicious or wha'?
    3. P&P for a small item at €3.95? Pull the other one, lads, it's got bells on!

I for one will not be paying €3.95 for something I have no guarantee is worth even half that.
    Unfortunately I suspect lots of people will. Joe Duffy is probably the best suggestion all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It can't be said often enough - everything this company sells or offers for free is utter crap and will never have a resale value so any money you spend with them is cash straight down the toilet.

I got the Padraig Pearse medal offer today, it clearly says 'FREE Postage applies' yet elsewhere it says 'pay only €3.95 postage' which is pretty typical of their misleading sales pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Noddywood

My Wife just got the Padraig Pearse medal today 24/8/2016
    Invoice dated 3/8/2016 (20 days)
    It says payment or returns within 14 days of invoice.
    She said she will be making the payment in the Post Office today with the part of the slip that says no more medals/coins wanted.

I'll keep you updated on what happens next

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Noddywood

My Wife just got the Padraig Pearse medal today 24/8/2016
    Invoice dated 3/8/2016 (20 days)
    When she applied for it she printed her full address clearly including Eircode. We live in Navan, Co. Meath. It was sent to Navan Co. Dublin, no Eircode. Delay tactic?
    It says payment or returns within 14 days of invoice.
    She said she will be making the payment (€3.95) in the Post Office today with the part of the slip that says no more medals/coins wanted.
    I wonder will they try a late penalty fee or send her more medals.

I'll keep you updated on what happens next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Total scam...medal is from steps of GPO. There are no steps to the GPO....

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

I just noticed a Point of sale transaction from these guys on my account today of 43.90e a month after I paid the 3.95 p&p for the free coin. I ordered nothing else and received nothing.

Sent emails tried to call them and nothing beware.

I am sending a charge back request to the bank, hopefully I can get my money back this way. In the mean time I'm cancelling my card so they can't process anymore payments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Pure chancers. Don't know how they get away with it.

They used to have a Boards.ie talk to section.

Dublin Mint Tim http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=454135&sort=newest

Advertisement