Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can't practice clarinet knowing someone's listening to me.

• 12-07-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hello, I went up to my bedroom today to practice my clarinet, but my mother then called me down to do something for her and commented on my playing. I was so embarrassed, she didn't say it was bad or anything, but I hated the fact that she could hear me. I went back up to play, but I just couldn't, knowing that my mother could hear me. I really have to practice, but I can't with anyone in the house. What should I do? Should I ask to invest in soundproofing my room or something? Please help, it's really bothering me. :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Hello, I went up to my bedroom today to practice my clarinet, but my mother then called me down to do something for her and commented on my playing. I was so embarrassed, she didn't say it was bad or anything, but I hated the fact that she could hear me. I went back up to play, but I just couldn't, knowing that my mother could hear me. I really have to practice, but I can't with anyone in the house. What should I do? Should I ask to invest in soundproofing my room or something? Please help, it's really bothering me. :confused:

Don't mind if people can hear you. I was god-awful when I started clarinet and my room is really close to the sitting room so everyone could hear me play. Don't be ashamed of your playing. You can see if you can buy a clarinet mute. I'm not sure how efficient they are, but there'd be some on amazon or ebay or what not. But it takes time to get ready for you to be comfortable in front of people. Just keep practicing. Do scales and play mp, p or pp until you get more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chicken and Cheese

Thanks. I really will try, I haven't practiced in a while and I must sound awful, but this is what practice is for! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

I know someone whose dad is a world class oboe player. She also plays the oboe, and (obviously) has to practice. She says it was nerve wracking for a bit, but in a way it helped her, because she felt like she needed to get better just so she could practice and not embarrass herself in front of her dad. So maybe try to use it as motivation. Hopefully your mom isn't a world class clarinet player, and so after a while she'll think you sound just wonderful. My parents always complain that I don't practice enough when they're around...

Advertisement