Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life Institute Anti Abortion Leaflets Distributed Through Letterboxs

• 12-07-2012 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Yd/LI campaigners have done a leaflet campaign droping leaflets through letterboxs in my estate last night- I came home from work and found an anti Abortion Life Institute leaflet put through my letterbox-on the backpage of the leaflet there's a list of Fine Gael TDs/their contact numbers-one paragraph on it claiming to speak for all Irish people states Irish people don't want abortion legalised under any circumstances-with the list of fg td names on it leads to question are Fine Gael in any way affiliated or involved with these anti abortion groups ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

just put it in the bin

or wipe your arse with it, your preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's asking you to lobby your local FG TD's, it's not purporting itself to be from them.
    FatherLen wrote:
    just put it in the bin

or wipe your arse with it, your preference.
    Or post it back to them with no stamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

FatherLen wrote: »
    just put it in the bin

That's what the abortion doctor said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I got a Lidl leaflet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is this actually a burning issue at the moment or do these self righteous busy bodies have nothing better to do?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

try and get one of those little grey alien things you can get from the euro shop and stick it back out the letter box next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

They don't need to leaflet, people would already vote the way they are campaigning anyway. I don't expect abortion to actually get through in this country for about 10 years at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Is this actually a burning issue at the moment or do these self righteous busy bodies have nothing better to do?

Exactly, I left a comment on the youth defence facebook page pointing out there's no upcoming referendum on abortion- I asked them why the need for all the posters/ why the need for a leaflet drop campaign-I questioned them on how they re funded/where is their money coming from for all these posters/leaflets- they prefered not to answer and deleted my post on their wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Am Chile wrote: »
    Exactly, I left a comment on the youth defence facebook page pointing out there's no upcoming referendum on abortion- I asked them why the need for all the posters/ why the need for a leaflet drop campaign-I questioned them on how they re funded/where is their money coming from for all these posters/leaflets- they prefered not to answer and deleted my post on their wall.

post it again and provide screenshots. it could be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Actually, there is a good chance that abortion will be an issue in the short term. The ECHR judgement in the C Case has put new pressure on the government for long, LONG overdue legislation on the X Case.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Not sure if it is a burning issue, apparently the government is preparing to legislate according the the leaflet.

I think their advertising campaign has been a little tasteless at times although I personally strongly oppose abortion (bar where there are concerns over well being or where the pregnancy has arisen as a result of rape).

I don't think it's fair to call the group behind the leaflets self righteous, as far as they are concerned and many people alike this is an extremely serious issue and if they want to raise awareness it is their business. Just like it is your business if you wish to ignore it.

FatherLen wrote: »
    post it again and provide screenshots. it could be funny.

If only I wasn't banned from commenting on their facebook page after I questioned them on their funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yd/LI campaigners have done a leaflet campaign droping leaflets through letterboxs in my estate last night- I came home from work and found an anti Abortion Life Institute leaflet put through my letterbox-on the backpage of the leaflet there's a list of Fine Gael TDs/their contact numbers-one paragraph on it claiming to speak for all Irish people states Irish people don't want abortion legalised under any circumstances-with the list of fg td names on it leads to question are Fine Gael in any way affiliated or involved with these anti abortion groups ?

Well, ring those TDs and complain about the leaflet. And lobby pro-choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Them leaflets save lives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

Not sure if it is a burning issue, apparently the government is preparing to legislate according the the leaflet.

I think their advertising campaign has been a little tasteless at times although I personally strongly oppose abortion (bar where there are concerns over well being or where the pregnancy has arisen as a result of rape).

I don't think it's fair to call the group behind the leaflets self righteous, as far as they are concerned and many people alike this is an extremely serious issue and if they want to raise awareness it is their business. Just like it is your business if you wish to ignore it.

So what should a woman do who has decided that she does not want to go through with the pregnancy? BTW - adoption is not an option for a married forty-something, with a grown-up family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Abortions for some, minature american flags for others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭MarkHitide

"Activism Escalates To Expend The Funding Allocated To It"; or something like that. Unfortunately.

I left a comment a short while ago on the life institute facebook page-asked them whats their purpose for this campaign given there's no upcoming referendum on abortion and questioned them on their funding. They took my comment down shortly after I posted on their page. here is my comment for all to see.

So what should a woman do who has decided that she does not want to go through with the pregnancy? BTW - adoption is not an option for a married forty-something, with a grown-up family.

She does whatever she wants to do. If she were to ask me, I'd say she should have the child, if she doesn't ask me - I wouldn't say anything. But I also wouldn't vote for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

davet82 wrote: »
    Them leaflets save lives :)

...But kills trees! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

She does whatever she wants to do. If she were to ask me, I'd say she should have the child, if she doesn't ask me - I wouldn't say anything. But I also wouldn't vote for it.

She doesn't though does she. She can't, because there's no legislation allowing her to.

Why is it okay to 'murder' the child in this case? The child isn't responsible. I don't actually think abortion is murder but it is a statement used by anti-abortion followers. I don't understand how the foetus is to blame in one situation and not another.

Bajingo wrote: »
    She doesn't though does she. She can't, because there's no legislation allowing her to.

Why is it okay to 'murder' the child in this case? The child isn't responsible. I don't actually think abortion is murder but it is a statement used by anti-abortion followers. I don't understand how the foetus is to blame in one situation and not another.

I find online discussions about sensitive and personal issues like these really never go anywhere so I'll respond to this and if you want to query me anything else you can PM me.

The child is never to blame, but in the case of Rape unless the person feels they wish to keep the child I think they should be given the option not too.

Edit: I am anti abortion, and I don't use the term "Murder" because it is insensitive and inflammatory. Not all people who oppose abortion are religious zealots screaming obscenity whilst holding up pictures of dead babies. Some of us are reasonably informed atheists that simply believe that life begins at conception and should be protected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Some of us are reasonably informed atheists that simply believe that life begins at conception and should be protected.
    Sorry, but reasonably informed is thrown out the window by your belief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

i think if it makes a girl think twice before going for an abortion it is a job well done,that said im not anti abortion or pro abortion,i dont believe in taking sides like that,it all depends on the circumstances..

Advertisement