Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 warranty repairs in 3 months from Opel, what next?

• 12-07-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi All
    This is a x-post from motors. They suggested I drop it in here for advice also.
    Thanks

Guys
    I am hoping that there is someone here who may know what are my entitlements under the sale of goods act etc

My wife and I bought a new car in Feb 2011 as we had just had a baby.

May 2011 car stops dead. AA diagnose a fuse blown on the fuel pump, replace it and we are on our way.

April 2012, car won’t start. Again blown fuse on fuel pump. After replacing multiple fuses the car is towed to the main dealer. It is returned after a week and we are told all is now well. We are told it received a new wiring loom and software upgrade.

June 2012, car won’t start. AA tow the car directly to the dealer after we explain our previous issue. After 2 weeks the car is returned with a new fuel pump, new power steering motor other stuff I cant remember.

July 2012, car won’t start. The car has now been with the dealer for the last 2 weeks

At this point I do not want the car back, it is unsafe for transporting a baby and completely unreliable.

I believe that under the sale of goods act the car we purchased should be
    • Of merchantable quality – it should be of reasonable, acceptable quality given the age and history of the car
    • Fit for the purpose intended and roadworthy
    • As described – it should match the description given verbally or in an advertisement.
    And also under the act I am entitled to
    1. Repair (already did this 3 times)
    2. Refund (not likely)
    3. Replace (more likely)

If I am offered a replacement should it be new for new?
    Will I need to get legal advice on this?
    What should I do next.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You mention its dangerous - how exactly?

You should get a nice letter sent in from your solicitor. Failing that one from yourself stating that you refer the matter to a solicitor if the car is not replaced.

Stick to the facts and keep it polite. Putting your frustration down may make you feel better but may come across as a rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

You mention its dangerous - how exactly?

You should get a nice letter sent in from your solicitor. Failing that one from yourself stating that you refer the matter to a solicitor if the car is not replaced.

Stick to the facts and keep it polite. Putting your frustration down may make you feel better but may come across as a rant.

fist time this happened, ~45 MPH and baby in back. Car loses all power including steering. luckily we were driving in a straight line at the time. (sorry I have ammended the OP, it was incorrect, the first time we were travelling through the phoenix park and we lost power/engine stopped dead)

I have opened a complain with Opel Ireland and if this does not get me anyhwere then the solictors letter is next. I want exhaust all avenues before I go to take legal advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

It really wont cost you an arm and a leg if you shop around. I'd get legal advice as soon as possible. Make a formal request to Opel first but if it gets refused there isn't much else you can do.

I assume there is no motor trade ombudsman but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

It really wont cost you an arm and a leg if you shop around. I'd get legal advice as soon as possible. Make a formal request to Opel first but if it gets refused there isn't much else you can do.

I assume there is no motor trade ombudsman but I could be wrong.

thanks this is exactly my tack.
    I am waiting to see what Opel say.
    If i am not happy I can pursue a complaint through SIMI (society of Irish Motor Industry) but I have heard this can be difficult.

Advertisement