Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options
  • 12-07-2012 3:28pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two men have been found not guilty of murdering newlywed Michaela McAreavey in her honeymoon suite in Mauritius.

The 27-year-old teacher from Northern Ireland was killed in January 2011.

She was the daughter of one of Ireland's best known sports figures, Mickey Harte, manager of the Tyrone gaelic football team.

Avinash Treebhoowoon, 32, and Sandip Moneea, 43, both worked at the hotel where Mrs McAreavey was killed.

The trial at the Supreme Court in Mauritius lasted more than seven weeks. It was initially expected to last two weeks but turned into one of the longest trials in Mauritian legal history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18703365

A terrible time for the families involved.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

Genuinely shocked by this! The family have been through enough as it was and now this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'm not surprised tbh considering all that has gone on during the trial. The family must be devastated with the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Oh fck. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

sad end to a horrific story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Jesus Christ, after all they've been through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not really surprised given how much of a shambles the investigation was.

Very tough for her family, no doubt. At the same time I may have felt a little bit disappointed in the Mauritian justice system if they were found guilty after that farcical trial. It's hard to call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i thought it was heading in this direction so not surprised, the police really fcuked it up

what now for the McAreaveys and justice... idk

feel terrible for them right now

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

Sad, and probably wrong, but hardly surprising. Some of the stories have made it sound like "Carry on Courtroom"

Sad for the families

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Disgraceful.

I hope the accused, defence, and judge and jury sleep soundly tonight.

Justice me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

That's Mauritius off 'my places to visit'.

The whole judicial system seemed to be modelled on the Irish one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

It's sad for her family that they have no closure from the trial but that is better than two innocent men being jailed for the crime. I haven't really followed the trial although I know it seemed to be a complete travesty. Have they been found not guilty through lack of evidence or because they proved that they weren't involved?

The fact that they didn't find DNA from the two men on her body begs the question did they find any strange DNA on Michaela's body. Surely whoever did it must have left some trace evidence although I supposed it could have been washed away in the bath.

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not really surprised given how much of a shambles the investigation was.

Very tough for her family, no doubt. At the same time I may have felt a little bit disappointed in the Mauritian justice system if they were found guilty after that farcical trial. It's hard to call.

Same here I'm not sure they had the right guys tbh. It was all about saving the reputation of the hotel and the country.

should be a boycott of these islands until the McAreaveys get justice, either get the right people or do their jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

so who did it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

To be honest, it would be better that the family be devastated and two innocent men walk free than the family sleep soundly and two innocent men serve a prison sentence. (This is of course based on accepting the "not guilty" verdict was the correct one).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Regardless of innocent or guilty its clear that there will never be justice.
    The cop who said "you are young, you will find another wife" should be sacked. The circus act legal team should face charges for disrupting the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hondasam wrote: »
    Same here I'm not sure they had the right guys tbh. It was all about saving the reputation of the hotel and the country.
    No, I wasn't convinced that the evidence presented was sufficient to claim that both men were involved. I don't think I would have been convinced to give a guilty verdict either. I say that of course based only on media reports of the trial.

What often happens in these things is that other information starts surfacing which couldn't be used as evidence and which couldn't be reported on during the trial. Maybe it can be pieced together a bit better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

why is everyone jumping to the same conclusion (or nearly everyone)

they were found NOT guilty and say what you want about police out there but when an Oxfordshire-based forensic scientist says no DNA was found then you gotta admit that the evidence is showing innocent.
    Oxfordshire-based forensic scientist Susan Woodroffe said no DNA from either of the accused was found in the McAreaveys' hotel room or on Michaela's body.

and yes its terrible for the Harte family not to have closure but think of those on trial and their families and their loved ones too.

If you were being dragged through the mud suspected of an horrific crime that you didn't commit then your family and loved ones are affected too.

Innocent until proven guilty remember and they were found NOT guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

davet82 wrote: »
    should be a boycott of these islands until the McAreaveys get justice, either get the right people or do their jobs!

I'd say there are a lot of people in Ireland waiting for justice from the Irish legal system or people who will never get it. Do we boycott Ireland till they get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Devastating news for the family and in particular John McAreavey, who has been put through this hell again. To think the shameful and disgusting behavoiur of the defence team actually worked on the Jury.

Apart from tinned fish and some fruit that I can recall coming from Mauritius, I'll be making sure none of my future purchases come from that island.

As for holidays there! You'd want to be crazy after this to go near the place.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    No, I wasn't convinced that the evidence presented was sufficient to claim that both men were involved. I don't think I would have been convinced to give a guilty verdict either. I say that of course based only on media reports of the trial.

What often happens in these things is that other information starts surfacing which couldn't be used as evidence and which couldn't be reported on during the trial. Maybe it can be pieced together a bit better.

I have to admit in the beginning I did suspect her husband. There should have been some DNA from the killer. What happens now?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

same with the states then, and the UK, and i'm sure many other countries too. also you probably couldn't go to a county in Ireland where there is an unsolved murder.

you can't blame an entire nation for the horrors commited by of a couple of people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

flanzer wrote: »
    That's Mauritius off 'my places to visit'.

The whole judicial system seemed to be modelled on the Irish one
    Off your places to visit list? What a load of s**t. Does that mean nobody should visit Ireland because of how the bankers got away with everything? FFS.

Terrible for the family alright but the trial was a farce. That defence lawyer certainly did his job anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

An utter disgrace:mad:

Her poor poor husband and family:( especially her husband - what he has gone through the last year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

danniemcq wrote: »
    why is everyone jumping to the same conclusion (or nearly everyone)

they were found NOT guilty and say what you want about police out there but when an Oxfordshire-based forensic scientist says no DNA was found then you gotta admit that the evidence is showing innocent.

[quot]Oxfordshire-based forensic scientist Susan Woodroffe said no DNA from either of the accused was found in the McAreaveys' hotel room or on Michaela's body.
    and yes its terrible for the Harte family not to have closure but think of those on trial and their families and their loved ones too.

If you were being dragged through the mud suspected of an horrific crime that you didn't commit then your family and loved ones are affected too.

Innocent until proven guilty remember and they were found NOT guilty.

eh.......OJ Simpson was also found NOT guilty!!

I'd say there are a lot of people in Ireland waiting for justice from the Irish legal system or people who will never get it. Do we boycott Ireland till they get it?

i'd boycott ireland if i could but i'm stuck here...

but seriously, yeah why the fcuk not, maybe if people banded together more things might actually get done

europa11 wrote: »
    Devastating news for the family and in particular John McAreavey, who has been put through this hell again. To think the shameful and disgusting behavoiur of the defence team actually worked on the Jury.

Apart from tinned fish and some fruit that I can recall coming from Mauritius, I'll be making sure none of my future purchases come from that island.

As for holidays there! You'd want to be crazy after this to go near the place.

As another poster mentioned above, the evidence suggests that these men are innocent. If you want to blame someone, blame the police for screwing up the investigation.

It's awful for the family but surely justice is only served if the right people are put behind bars, not the convenient ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

paddyh117 wrote: »
    eh.......OJ Simpson was also found NOT guilty!!

And you couldn't get anymore guilty than him!

but seriously, yeah why the fcuk not, maybe if people banded together more things might actually get done

Nice idea but a bit naive some people will not care and the rest will have forgotten about it in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Poor family. Wasn't dna discovered from a unidentified person??

Advertisement