Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Very sad case. I hope the family, especially her husband get justice eventually and some sort of peace.

Here's an interesting article highlighting the media imbalance when covering murder trials........

http://politico.ie/social-issues/8636-breda-waters-michaela-mcareavey-coverage-editorial-agenda.html

Whilst I sympathise with her family, I'm very glad that the accused were acquitted, as they rightly should have been. I can't help but feel that the husband had more to do with her murder. I recall seeing her and her father on a programme years ago and it made me feel very uncomfortable to see a woman of her age sitting on her daddys lap. That is not an attack on anybody, merely an observation.

I really cannot believe what you have put out here, that you FEEL that her husband had more to do with it? Jesus, thats a wild statement to make. Thats some accusation to put on on a broken man.

I am for once, truly disgusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

qwert2 wrote: »

Here's an interesting article highlighting the media imbalance when covering murder trials........

http://politico.ie/social-issues/8636-breda-waters-michaela-mcareavey-coverage-editorial-agenda.html

Not similar cases at all though

She got involved with Des Kelly, a known criminal

When both were shot was anyone even shocked?
    Or surprised that such a thing could happen?

A murder on a honeymoon is a world apart from your standard Irish gangland killing

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Not similar cases at all though

She got involved with Des Kelly, a known criminal

When both were shot was anyone even shocked?
    Or surprised that such a thing could happen?

A murder on a honeymoon is a world apart from your standard Irish gangland killing

Sure, I understand where you're coming from. But it will be interesting to see the media's involvement in the trial of the Wexford girl who was murdered recently in Japan.

It's just that sometime the media like to chose and pick what murder trials to focus on

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's just that sometime the media like to chose and pick what murder trials to focus on
    There's no doubt about that at all. The media focus on the murder trials that the public care about.

Lower class mother shot dead by a criminal associate - not that big a deal.

Middle-class young woman brutally raped and murdered while on an exchange programme in a foreign country - strikes a chord with parents.

The cases which grab the public attention are those which happen to seemingly ordinary people - things which could "happen to you or me". Getting shot by a criminal gang is not something most people worry about because it's not going to happen to them. Nightmare scenarios while away in a foreign country is something many people do worry about, because it could have happened to them.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    There's no doubt about that at all. The media focus on the murder trials that the public care about.

Lower class mother shot dead by a criminal associate - not that big a deal.

Middle-class young woman brutally raped and murdered while on an exchange programme in a foreign country - strikes a chord with parents.

The cases which grab the public attention are those which happen to seemingly ordinary people - things which could "happen to you or me". Getting shot by a criminal gang is not something most people worry about because it's not going to happen to them. Nightmare scenarios while away in a foreign country is something many people do worry about, because it could have happened to them.

I must admit, I never looked at it that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If you pop over to the Bastion of Truth Daily Mail website, you will see comments made by not only Irish people advising a boycott, but people from other much larger nations like the US and UK.

Murderitius tourism will take a bit of a dive as a result.

..oh, and at the height of the troubles, Irish tourism was doing quite nicely, it wasn't Vietnam.

All that means is that the US and UK have a similar class of idiot as Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Pretty much all the time. Tbh you can tell media treatment of victims can even come down to how good looking they were. A pretty photogenic face makes for a better cover.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If you pop over to the Bastion of Truth Daily Mail website, you will see comments made by not only Irish people advising a boycott, but people from other much larger nations like the US and UK.

Murderitius tourism will take a bit of a dive as a result.

..oh, and at the height of the troubles, Irish tourism was doing quite nicely, it wasn't Vietnam.

Just like those people in the US called fr a boycott of Aruba after Natalee Holloway went missing/was murdered.
    I think you still run into an American or 2 holidaying on Aruba.

People calling for boycotts of these kind of destinations are usually the ones that would never go there/be able to go there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

inforfun wrote: »
    People calling for boycotts of these kind of destinations are usually the ones that would never go there in the first place.

Totally agree. They'll stick to roaming the costas in GAA jerseys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

So does this mean the re open the case and continue to search for the killer/s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im totally shocked at the moronic 'lock them up', 'boycott Mauritius' comments Im seeing on the internet!! People just baying for blood, anyones blood tbh.

Ive actually been to Mauritius and Id never go back, I dont like resorts where my enjoyment is at the cost of the exploitation of the people serving me and the local economy (the resorts are not owned by Mauritians).

I feel very sad for the families of this poor woman, her husband in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

does anybody know how much the amount of people visiting the island has dropped since the incident compared to say 2010, even ireland numbers?

id say the hotel has taken some beating also, wouldnt be at all surprised if its a virtual ghosttown now.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

No the case is effectively over, even though technically it is open - lest something turn up, which will not. Her husband has no case to answer - evidence proved he was sitting alone waiting for her to return when she was murdered.
    This is not by way of criticism, but I often wondered why she was put so much in the limelight at the expense of her mother, who may have been a private person. usually managers, politicians etc keep families at arms length in order to protect them.

What must ne teriible for them to hear was defense lawyer praising Sinn Fein, the crowd who killed other lovely girls like Marie Wilson, Joanne Mathers etc. There is something awful about killing a young girl full of life and life giving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

id say the hotel has taken some beating also, wouldnt be at all surprised if its a virtual ghosttown now.

The hotel has not taken a beating and has excellent reviews on tripadvisor

The Legends hotel is now the Lux hotel
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g488104-d316747-Reviews-LUX_Grand_Gaube-Grand_Gaube.html

Name changed by management for obvious reasons

does anybody know how much the amount of people visiting the island has dropped since the incident compared to say 2010, even ireland numbers?

I don't recall any reports of a huge drop in visitors to west Cork after the Du Plantier murder. Or indeed to Galway following the Manuela Riedo murder either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I don't recall any reports of a huge drop in visitors to west Cork after the Du Plantier murder. Or indeed to Galway following the Manuela Riedo murder either.

Or of people going to Spain/canary Islands after some shocking murders there of Irish people.

You can google it yourselves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bad Panda wrote: »
    All that means is that the US and UK have a similar class of idiot as Ireland.

No it doesn't.

Considering the killer is still out there, possibly still working in a hotel somewhere, who in their right mind would want to go on a holiday, and spend most of it looking over their shoulder, or wondering whether someone's robbing their hotel room when they return to it?

realies wrote: »
    Or of people going to Spain/canary Islands after some shocking murders there of Irish people.

Ah but Spain is in Europe, and to that end the 'natives' are just like us, just well tanned but essentially white and civilised.

Not like the 'savages' in Mauritius.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The hotel has not taken a beating and has excellent reviews on tripadvisor

The Legends hotel is now the Lux hotel
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g488104-d316747-Reviews-LUX_Grand_Gaube-Grand_Gaube.html

Name changed by management for obvious reasons

I stayed there for 10 nights few years back and I can see why the reviews are still excellent, but cant see many Irish being as keen.

Police have alot to answer for, hope our goverment steps up in some way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i doubt too many people across the world will know much about those two, where as the murder in Mauritius has beena global story for the past 18 months.

huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

i doubt too many people across the world will know much about those two, where as the murder in Mauritius has beena global story for the past 18 months.

huge difference.

Only in an Irish global view,like a lot of things that happen concerning the Irish/Ireland, People tend to imagine that where the talk of the planet,Sorry that doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

realies wrote: »
    Only in an Irish global view,like a lot of things that happen concerning the Irish/Ireland, People tend to imagine that where the talk of the planet,Sorry that doesn't happen.
    Indeed. Not a single reference to this on the BBC website yesterday under world news, european news or african news.

Imagine how much interest the Irish papers would show if it was a German woman murdered in Mauritius. Practically none, maybe a ten-line article on page 15 somewhere.

This is the BBC coverage of it today:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18819815

5 lines and a 2-minute video. And she was a UK citizen/resident.

It's not a major global news story by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

The defence was a grotesque monstrosity that threw out enough claims, counterclaims, and down-right mudslinging that would put 9/11 conspiracy theorists to shame! Only a couple of their claims were provable as being patent rubbish, however, (e.g. the McAreaveys arguing at the front desk actually being an entirely different couple). :pac:

It seems that the defence's defence was mostly predicated on the allegation of police corruption and brutality. :confused:

The lack of closure on this case can hardly do much for the country's tourism...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The defence was a grotesque monstrosity that threw out enough claims, counterclaims, and down-right mudslinging that would put 9/11 conspiracy theorists to shame!

Defence did a damn fine job in other words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I am no legal expert. But the defence's questioning of the husband seemed bizarre to me.

I believe that an accused person deserves the best defence. However, they seemed to approach the trial by not defending the accused. But instead pointing fingers at the husband. Surely, this was the job of the police and once we get to the trial, then the sole purpose of the defence team is to defend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I am no legal expert. But the defence's questioning of the husband seemed bizarre to me.

I believe that an accused person deserves the best defence. However, they seemed to approach the trial by not defending the accused. But instead pointing fingers at the husband. Surely, this was the job of the police and once we get to the trial, then the sole purpose of the defence team is to defend.

The Judge was also completely below what I would expect from a criminal proceeding for murder. Shocking that the defence was even allowed to use such tactics.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Justice system in marituis is a joke..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Justice system in marituis is a joke..

It's worse in Mauritius.....

Advertisement