Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Justice system in marituis is a joke..

Yeah, like in ierlnd, birtain and spian…

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

seamus wrote: »
    Indeed. Not a single reference to this on the BBC website yesterday under world news, european news or african news.

Imagine how much interest the Irish papers would show if it was a German woman murdered in Mauritius. Practically none, maybe a ten-line article on page 15 somewhere.

This is the BBC coverage of it today:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18819815

5 lines and a 2-minute video. And she was a UK citizen/resident.

It's not a major global news story by a long shot.

5 lines? why tell a pack of lies when they had huge coverage of it. as did sky and UTV and tv and news stations all over the world.

the BBC had a reporter based there for 8 weeks, as did utv and several other stations. below is their report, so where is the 5 lines?
    Two men have been found not guilty of murdering newlywed Michaela McAreavey in her honeymoon suite in Mauritius.

The 27-year-old teacher from Northern Ireland was killed in January 2011.

She was the daughter of one of Ireland's best known sports figures, Mickey Harte, manager of the Tyrone gaelic football team.

Avinash Treebhoowoon, 32, and Sandip Moneea, 43, both worked at the hotel where Mrs McAreavey was killed.

In a statement, the McAreavey and Harte families said that following the endurance of "seven harrowing weeks of this trial" there were no words, which could "describe the sense of devastation and desolation now felt by both families".

The trial at the Supreme Court in Mauritius lasted more than seven weeks. It was initially expected to last two weeks but turned into one of the longest trials in Mauritian legal history.

Continue reading the main story
    BBC NI's Natasha Sayee in court in Mauritius

There were cheers from the public gallery in court after the two men were found not guilty.

The McAreaveys have left the court.

Both Avinash Treebhoowoon and Sandip Moneea said they were happy at the verdict but sad for the McAreaveys.

The lawyers of the two men were carried down the stairs of the court on the shoulders of jubilant supporters.

The police and prosecution said Mrs McAreavey had been murdered after disturbing thieves in her room.

The doctor who carried out the post mortem examination said she died as a result of asphyxiation caused by compression to the neck.

Her said her bruises and tissue damage showed this was caused by the grip of a hand to her throat and the pressing of a forearm around her collarbone.

Avinash Treebhoowoon said he had confessed to the murder only after being beaten and threatened by police.

A key witness was another man initially arrested, former room attendant Raj Theekoy.

He had been charged with failing to come to Mrs McAreavey's aid after claiming to have heard her cries for help.

BBC reporter Natasha Sayee was in Mauritius for the duration of the case.
    However, he was granted immunity in return for his testimony.

He said he saw both accused leaving the McAreaveys' room around the time of the murder.

Oxfordshire-based forensic scientist Susan Woodroffe said no DNA from either of the accused was found in the McAreaveys' hotel room or on Michaela's body.

Mrs McAreavey's father, Mickey Harte, is one of the most respected figures in gaelic football, a sport which is hugely popular in Ireland.

Thousands of mourners attended Michaela's funeral near her family home in Ballygawley, County Tyrone.

The 27-year-old had married John McAreavey just 12 days before she was murdered, and was buried in her wedding dress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Justice system in marituis is a joke..

Why do you think that is, christmas? I see you "liked" Duck's Hoop post about "savages". You do realise DH was being sarcastic, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

InTheTrees wrote: »
    My gf is convinced the husband did it.

This thread should be closed. While everyone is entitled to an opinion, the poor family have been through hell. Her family and friends were here. They could not have done it and certainly do not need to read this tripe and wild speculation. This is an Irish forum and the odds of her family and friends reading this thread are quite high. A young lady was killed in tragic circumstances. Her nearest and dearest were subjected to a circus trial and had to listen to horrific and wild insinuations during the trial. They are bound to have been left with more questions now than before the trial. They do not need this thread to cause them any more pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i was just reading in the paper about the 3rd suspect whose DNA was found in the wardrobe and on the swipe card used to enter the room.

what the hell was he left out of the trial for and how come this is only coming out now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

vamos! wrote: »
    This thread should be closed. While everyone is entitled to an opinion, the poor family have been through hell. Her family and friends were here. They could not have done it and certainly do not need to read this tripe and wild speculation. This is an Irish forum and the odds of her family and friends reading this thread are quite high. A young lady was killed in tragic circumstances. Her nearest and dearest were subjected to a circus trial and had to listen to horrific and wild insinuations during the trial. They are bound to have been left with more questions now than before the trial. They do not need this thread to cause them any more pain.

Closing the thread is not going to stop people speculating.
    We have all speculated about Maddie Mccann and other murders, it's life and unfortunately you cannot stop people opinion's.
    Everyone is sorry for her and her family but I don't think they will be reading this today.

i was just reading in the paper about the 3rd suspect whose DNA was found in the wardrobe and on the swipe card used to enter the room.

what the hell was he left out of the trial for and how come this is only coming out now?

The only one who's DNA was found was not charged and the swipe card used was never found I thought.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/the-46-minutes-of-mystery-that-might-never-be-unravelled-3167383.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

He was arrested, questioned and released afaik there was an interview with him on itv last night. Had previous convictions too (if this is the same guy we're talking about but I presume it is). The police have been poor over there no doubt and it has raised many eyebrows that this man wasn't questioned further.

Also, the under-use of CCTV footage in the case was disappointing to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Its an odd case either way. The police messed up bigtime but there doesnt seem to be concrete evidence to convict the accused either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Its an odd case either way. The police messed up bigtime but there doesnt seem to be concrete evidence to convict the accused either.

Nothing odd about it. The police rounded up some suspects who probably didn't do it. Then they messed up the investigation so badly that whoever did the crime will ever be caught.

It happens all too often. And not just in Mauritius.

• Advertisement

Skid wrote: »
    Nothing odd about it. The police rounded up some suspects who probably didn't do it. Then they messed up the investigation so badly that whoever did the crime will ever be caught.

It happens all too often. And not just in Mauritius.

I still find it odd the lack of forensic evidence and the lack of cctv footage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I could never go to Mauritius now.

Not because I think they are savages or that I think it could happen to me or that they are somehow a 'lesser breed' than us.

But because a beautiful woman lost her life there and there has been so much coverage about it, I think everyone feels a connection with John and the Harte family.

I think I will just always associate that small island with Micheala and don't think it'll change. May she rest in peace and please God they'll find the murderer/s.

Rasheed wrote: »

Not because I think they are savages or that I think it could happen to me or that they are somehow a 'lesser breed' than us.

But because a beautiful woman lost her life there and there has been so much coverage about it, I think everyone feels a connection with John and the Harte family.

I think I will just always associate that small island with Micheala and don't think it'll change. May she rest in peace and please God they'll find the murderer/s.

No such thing. I get that your angry but people are killed in horrible circumstances in every country. Including Ireland.

All people are beautiful and many, many beautiful people are murdered in every country in the world. You'll never travel anywhere if you let tragic events obscure all else. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I still find it odd the lack of forensic evidence and the lack of cctv footage.

Forensic evidance was inadmissable due to contamination since police didn't preserve the scene. They would have known how to stay out of CCTV when stealing from rooms.

I'm sure there are other countries saying the same thing about us Irish.
    Think about all the other murders that have happened, people move on and forget.
    I think Irish people will associate the island with Micheala but no one else.

Forensic evidance was inadmissable due to contamination since police didn't preserve the scene. They would have known how to stay out of CCTV when stealing from rooms.

Police seemed to have fecked up everything so.

hondasam wrote: »
    Think about all the other murders that have happened, people move on and forget.

Can anyone remember the name of the Irish guy who was murdered in the sarin attacks in Japan? The Irish girl in Germany, some 20 odd years back? All tragic and desperately upsetting but people do move on & as others have pointed out, boycotting a country because of the actions of a couple of its citizens is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

old hippy wrote: »
    All people are beautiful and many, many beautiful people are murdered in every country in the world. You'll never travel anywhere if you let tragic events obscure all else. :(

I think it is only human to see something like this, and have second thoughts about ever going. Just from the point of view of safety. Same with any significant incident.

I think it is only human to see something like this, and have second thoughts about ever going. Just from the point of view of safety. Same with any significant incident.

I had a friend studying wildlife there. Its not more dangerous than Dublin after dark.

• Advertisement

hondasam wrote: »

Ah I know and I remember being annoyed at American friends not wanting to come to the west of Ireland for fear of the troubles. I'm just talking for myself, I don't know anybody else thoughts, but I don't think there is anyway I'd be able to go there now. I just think I'd be reminded of her, nothing against the country or the natives.

Ah I know and I remember being annoyed at American friends not wanting to come to the west of Ireland for fear of the troubles. I'm just talking for myself, I don't know anybody else thoughts, but I don't think there is anyway I'd be able to go there now. I just think I'd be reminded of her, nothing against the country or the natives.

It's understandable people feel emotional about the murder, she was on her honeymoon and even if she wasn't it would still be tragic but it was such a happy time for them both.
    I think any Irish person that goes there would remember her, It's not somewhere I have ever thought of going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

old hippy wrote: »
    All people are beautiful and many, many beautiful people are murdered in every country in the world.

I heard Enda Kenny today. He felt the need to point out the victim was "beautiful". Like it makes it worse somehow.

I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be such a deal, for many people, if the deceased was a hump backed midget with a cleft palate.

Enda Kenny was on the news just now saying how 'justice was clearly not done'.

Is he an imbecile? Does he really want the defendants thrown in prison on the basis of some flimsy evidence that would probably not even have gone to trial if the case had not received significant media attention?

It is scary that the leader of this country does not appear to understand the concept of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Is he an imbecile? Does he really want the defendants thrown in prison on the basis of some flimsy evidence that would probably not even have gone to trial if the case had not received significant media attention?

It is scary that the leader of this country does not appear to understand the concept of justice.

Agree. It smacked of populism. He's a muppet.

I heard Enda Kenny today. He felt the need to point out the victim was "beautiful". Like it makes it worse somehow.

I'm fairly sure it wouldn't be such a deal, for many people, if the deceased was a hump backed midget with a cleft palate.

Ah I don't know about that. Maybe because she was so young and on her honeymoon that it really struck a cord with people. Was just reading the Irish Independent there, it really is so heart breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I think everyone feels a connection with John and the Harte family.

I don't. I feel sad for them but I don't feel some invisible connection, nor would I let it stop me going there and I wouldn't be reminded of her constantly.

Ah I don't know about that. Maybe because she was so young and on her honeymoon that it really struck a cord with people. Was just reading the Irish Independent there, it really is so heart breaking.

All lives cut short are heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

To be completely fair, justice hasn't been done. The police screwed up their investigation and because of that, the odds of the killer ever being convicted are very low. Whoever the killer is, he or she is still free which isn't what most people would consider just.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    To be completely fair, justice hasn't been done. The police screwed up their investigation and because of that, the odds of the killer ever being convicted are very low. Whoever the killer is, he or she is still free which isn't what most people would consider just.

The tone of his comments today stinks of 'someone should have gone to prison for this'.
    "A beautiful young Irish was murdered, and her husband has been out there for the last seven or eight weeks facing the consequences of the trial which brought nobody to justice.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/justice-not-done-in-michaela-murder-trial-claims-taoiseach-3167707.html

Also, Here is another stupid comment of his today
    He added that the Government "would reflect" on the case, but it "can't interfere in the legal processes of other countries"

The Taoiseach should know that the Government can't interfere in the legal process of this country either. The Courts are separate from the Government. He should know that.

Advertisement