Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

-Both defence council reject all Catholic jurors from start
    -Voluntary confession made in front of lawyer
    - Apologies to his father and told him to 'forget me, I've made a mistake'
    -Said lawyer then gives radio interview in Mauritius apologising on behalf of his client. ( Do your research)
    - Confession details exact way murder takes place, including pushing Michaela to the ground and method of strangulation, before coroner's report was available - how could the police have fabricated this. Confession tallies precisely with injuries found.
    - One murderer then claims police brutality throughout.
    - 3 independent doctors examine murderer thoroughly and all reported no injuries. 1 doctor confirmed that having asked murderer was he harmed, replied 'No'
    - EYE witness sees two murderers leave room
    - Given immunity 77 days AFTER he told police what he seen (So he could not be charged with conspiracy to commit theft)
    -9 jurors made up of 8 Hindus and 1 Muslim unanimously acquit 2 murderers

Welcome to Murderitius

But see, but see! It's scary how we trial by media. And judge on what they tell us, all of that paints a terrible picture, but if you do a little deeper delving:

1. Why would anyone confess to a murder so soon after it happening, and then when anyone else asked him immediately after the confession, say 'he didn't do it'. - Points to police brutality.

2. Avinash Treebhowoon AND his father has said that he didn't say that to his father, that the police and the media twisted his words. He said that he cried and said 'don't forget me, I made a mistake moving out of your home and leaving you for this new life'. Apparantly he had not long left his parents home and moved out on his own.

3. The confession does not tally exactly. Apparantly in the confession Avinash said that Micheala was still breathing when they placed her in the bath. IF this was what happened the coroner would have ruled death by drowning, not strangulation, which he did not.

4. I need to find out more about the timeframe but I am suspicious of the person who was charged and then granted immunity fingering the two men as being in the room. Surely it would be very easy to say 'you will go to jail for a long time unless you help us with this case and implicate those two'.

Now I don't know if they are guilty or innocent, or if your version of events or mine are more correct, none of us can know, just that I have found out those extra things above also through searching the media, and basically any set of items can be taken to make them look either innocent or guilty.

I really don't know myself what I think of them, but I think we can all agree that the police handled it incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

But see, but see! It's scary how we trial by media. And judge on what they tell us, all of that paints a terrible picture, but if you do a little deeper delving:

1. Why would anyone confess to a murder so soon after it happening, and then when anyone else asked him immediately after the confession, say 'he didn't do it'. - Points to police brutality.

2. Avinash Treebhowoon AND his father has said that he didn't say that to his father, that the police and the media twisted his words. He said that he cried and said 'don't forget me, I made a mistake moving out of your home and leaving you for this new life'. Apparantly he had not long left his parents home and moved out on his own.

3. The confession does not tally exactly. Apparantly in the confession Avinash said that Micheala was still breathing when they placed her in the bath. IF this was what happened the coroner would have ruled death by drowning, not strangulation, which he did not.

4. I need to find out more about the timeframe but I am suspicious of the person who was charged and then granted immunity fingering the two men as being in the room. Surely it would be very easy to say 'you will go to jail for a long time unless you help us with this case and implicate those two'.

Now I don't know if they are guilty or innocent, or if your version of events or mine are more correct, none of us can know, just that I have found out those extra things above also through searching the media, and basically any set of items can be taken to make them look either innocent or guilty.

I really don't know myself what I think of them, but I think we can all agree that the police handled it incorrectly.
    bullet 4 in your statement, is what i would be henging my bets on, that person should be scrutinised a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

goat2 wrote: »
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Thats an idiotic thing for him to say.
    i dont think that it is foolish of him to say, one of our citizens was murdered there, and nobody has been brought to book, i agree,

and can people tell me, what way the women are viewed and treated in that part of the world,

Can only go by a friend who worked there. She said the men treat her like crap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Can only go by a friend who worked there. She said the men treat her like crap
    that was the impression i got,
    because when her husband was very upset when in the police presence, one of them said, something or other like, you are young and you will find another, it sounded to me like, there is very little thought of women in that side of the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

cannot understand why any member of staff would murder any hotel guest in such a sealed environment - with security at the gate to the compound, plenty of cctv, etc. Surely if interupted during a minor robbery in such a place you would not murder your accuser?

• Advertisement

true wrote: »
    cannot understand why any member of staff would murder any hotel guest in such a sealed environment - with security at the gate to the compound, plenty of cctv, etc. Surely if interupted during a minor robbery in such a place you would not murder your accuser?

If she started screaming and they panicked and tried to stop her, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Sean Kelly MEP is now advising us Irish not to go to Mauritius. I don't want holiday recommendations from politicians, thank you very much.

Sean Kelly former president of the GAA.

Bet there wouldn't have been a peep out of him had the father in law and hubby not been gaaaa heads.

If she started screaming and they panicked and tried to stop her, maybe.

but nobody heard screams ?

surely if she saw some hotel worker in the room when she went for the biscuits they could have bluffed they were room service and gone to the wrong room, sent to fix a leaky tap + ended up in the wrong room, or made some excuse? And it would all have been forgotten about by now. With all the CCTV's etc and only one way in / out of the compound, you do not kill someone. If stealing was a problem, why not have more searches? The hotel owners would not have liked their hotel to get a reputation for theft from guests, as their reputation depends on tourists. Theft from hotel rooms is generally not a problem as staff are vetted, there is security, cctv etc....and locals want to hang on to their jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Yet this has happened the world over, because people who kill in suc a manner frequently have difficulty with working out consequence and proportion.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yet this has happened the world over

name some other hotel worker - especially in such a sealed enveirnment, with cctv, security guards on gate to compound etc - who has killed a hotel guest so?

• Advertisement

but nobody heard screams ?

surely if she saw some hotel worker in the room when she went for the biscuits they could have bluffed they were room service and gone to the wrong room, sent to fix a leaky tap + ended up in the wrong room, or made some excuse? And it would all have been forgotten about by now. With all the CCTV's etc and only one way in / out of the compound, you do not kill someone. If stealing was a problem, why not have more searches? The hotel owners would not have liked their hotel to get a reputation for theft from guests, as their reputation depends on tourists. Theft from hotel rooms is generally not a problem as staff are vetted, there is security, cctv etc....and locals want to hang on to their jobs.

Yeah it's a good point, but I was thinking, what if she caught them going through her stuff, like rifling through her bags, or they hid in the bedroom when she came in, and then she went into the bedroom and it scared her seeing them there and she screamed.

Another point to throw into the topic: Avinash Treebhowoon was accused of stealing from a different hotel, but was cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

name some other hotel worker - especially in such a sealed enveirnment, with cctv, security guards on gate to compound etc - who has killed a hotel guest so?

http://sanctumzone.co.uk/forum/Todays-News/33196-Hotel-worker-killed-two-hid-in-room-for-two-days.html

Yeah it's a good point, but I was thinking, what if she caught them going through her stuff, like rifling through her bags, or they hid in the bedroom when she came in, and then she went into the bedroom and it scared her seeing them there and she screamed.

the logical thing is one stands guard at the door.

Do not all such hotels have safes for peoples valuables anyway?

If she came across hotel worker in her room, all they have to say is SOrry Miss, we are investigating a leak in the room, / looking for room service / checking tv socket working / thought room service left something behind / there has been a mistake, thank you mamm, so sorry / end of story.

You do not murder over something so minor, I would have thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭rKossi

InTheTrees wrote: »
    My gf is convinced the husband did it.

funny I was thinking that..
    but I didn't want to say it here because people will probably eat my head off

rKossi wrote: »

it reminds me of a different murder case, this time here in Ireland.... on the late late a few years ago there was the man on show related to the victim ( I forget was it husband or brother ) , and it later transpired he was the murderer.

I would keep a very open mind on who the murderer was.

May the poor victim rest in peace, and condolences to her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

How can this be allowed???

Shockingly distasteful stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Probably eat your head off because it's stupid. The ones who think the husband did it are also the ones who know little to nothing about the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Talk of exhuming her body as they did not test for DNA under her fingernails apparently.

Find it strange that wasn't done. I am no police officer or expert, but I would have assumed the 1st thing you would test for when someone was strangled was to see if they scratched their assailant.

Personally following the case I get the feeling that one or two murderers have just walked free, or at least people involved in it. The case was badly handled and ruined by the authorities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

We wouldn't eat your head off, you'd just make a fool of yourself because you'd be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Polygon_window

you are clowns!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

How can this be allowed???

Shockingly distasteful stuff...

They obviously just don't give a flying **** at this stage. It's horrible. Really tasteless....like way beyond even questions of taste, it's a question of morals at this point. If say, the Sun or the Mirror or some rag did that over here, people would boycott it to the end. I wonder will this whole episode seriously damage Mauritius reputation as a holiday destination. They don't seem to care if an Irish person would ever stay there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

You and the other poster rightly deserve to be ridiculed for such comments. Do you know even the slightest detail about the case?

Unfortunately everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if that opinion is entirely wrong and completely retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

This is such a shambles. The photos will probably be circulating on here shortly knowing how tasteless and sensationalist some folks are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

There are no direct flights to the island from Ireland, so there are no accurate departure figures to analyse. In 2010, the year before Mrs McAreavey death, 3,460 Irish citizens visited the island. The following year the number dipped significantly to 2,717. Information on the number of British passport holders arriving on the island published by the Mauritian authorities also shows a sizeable fall off last year compared to the 2010.

In the same period the number of French and German tourists increased. The popularity of Mauritius elsewhere around the world was also on the up.

So tourism then is not the be all and end all for Mauritius.

And Irish tourism certainly isn't. It accounts for a small fraction of the wider market.

For the first time Mauritius is forecast to attract more than one million visitors this year — up 3.1% on 2011.
    In the nine months following the Co Tyrone teacher’s death the number of European visitors rose by 1.5% in comparison with the same period in 2010.

More reading here http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tourist%20numbers%20for%20 mauritius source=newssearch cd=1&ved=0CCkQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Flifestyle%2Fparadise-lost-200694.html&ei=BMcCUMyQAYS0hAf-oK2XCA&usg=AFQjCNHYAhFY7pZQgCK4bxxFYh8qi5fOgw

There are an estimated 3,000 Mauritians living in Ireland,wonder how there feeling seeing there Island being slandered because of a horrible crime that unfortunately can happen anywhere ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

There are an estimated 3,000 Mauritians living in Ireland,wonder how there feeling seeing there Island being slandered because of a horrible crime that unfortunately can happen anywhere ?

The crime can happen anywhere.

However, it is not unreasonable to expect a proper trial & police investigation to occur after that crime.

It is also reasonable to assume that pictures of the crime scene (Which include images of a body) do not appear in a newspaper.

If I was murdered in a hotel, I would not like images of my body enter the public domain. If I was married and my wife was murdered, I would not like pictures of my murdered wife being displayed in the paper.

There are people responsible in Mauritius for the poor image it is getting at the moment in Ireland. It is not the crime that is causing the poor image, it is the way they have dealt with the aftermath of the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0715/mauritius-paper-publishes-mcareavey-body-photos.html
    A Mauritian newspaper called 'Sunday Times' has published photographs of the hotel room crime scene where Michaela McAreavey was killed, including images of her body.

I've defended Mauritius as a country a lot over this whole tragic incident, but I give up now. This whole thing stinks.

RIP Michaela and all our best wishes to John and the family through this never-ending hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Sean Kelly MEP is now advising us Irish not to go to Mauritius. I don't want holiday recommendations from politicians, thank you very much.

I could give a fcuk what a politician says about that but personally I would not be putting a few thousand euro into their economy by ever going there. That country is a ****hole of the lowest order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Morlar wrote: »
    That country is a ****hole of the lowest order.

You can't say that if you've never been surely? One of my friends in Mauritian. He's 100 times more of a gentleman than any of my Irish friends, including me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

the logical thing is one stands guard at the door.

Do not all such hotels have safes for peoples valuables anyway?

If she came across hotel worker in her room, all they have to say is SOrry Miss, we are investigating a leak in the room, / looking for room service / checking tv socket working / thought room service left something behind / there has been a mistake, thank you mamm, so sorry / end of story.

You do not murder over something so minor, I would have thought.
    Yes, that would be logical. They probably seen them having lunch, thought they'd be safe and that two would find valuables quicker.

Whatever happened in that room, we may never know but it looks like they just panicked.

And regarding a safe, would you put your phone, lap top etc in a safe if you were on holidays? I wouldn't. Perhaps they thought that staying in a 5 star resort, that there was less of a need to be vigilant with valuables.

Advertisement