Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0715/mauritius-paper-publishes-mcareavey-body-photos.html

I've defended Mauritius as a country a lot over this whole tragic incident, but I give up now. This whole thing stinks.

RIP Michaela and all our best wishes to John and the family through this never-ending hell.

Will the hell for her family ever end? First this week's verdict and now this. It's disgusting.

RIP Michaela

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

The ones who think the husband did it are also the ones who know little to nothing about the case.

According to the FBI, among all female murder victims in 1995, 26 percent were slain by husbands or boyfriends

http://fathersforlife.org/fv/fbi_spousal_murder_stats.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tony-od

true wrote: »
    According to the FBI, among all female murder victims in 1995, 26 percent were slain by husbands or boyfriends

http://fathersforlife.org/fv/fbi_spousal_murder_stats.htm

Who do the FBI say killed the other 74%?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

tony-od wrote: »
    Who do the FBI say killed the other 74%?

people who were not their husband/partner.
    Relatively few women - if any - were ever murdered by hotel workers in a sealed hotel compound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Heard some gimp on the radio saying Irish people shouldn't holiday in Mauritius because of this. And yeah, French people shouldn't holiday in Ireland because of the Du Plantier case I guess. Hilarious grasp on logic some folks have.

• Advertisement

Relatively few women - if any - were ever murdered by hotel workers in a sealed hotel compound.

Well Sherlock enlighten us.Who committed this murder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

How can this be allowed???

Shockingly distasteful stuff...

and you know every single "outraged" journalist in Ireland has been passing these around.

and you know every single "outraged" journalist in Ireland has been passing these around.

But they didn't publish it.

But they didn't publish it.

they would if they could. In a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I find the attitude of some people on this thread confusing.
    The two accused were acquitted based on poor evidence, poor police work and the allegations of police brutality.
    You should not blame the people of Mauritius for this, calling for boycotts and such nonsense. You don't hear the French calling for a boycott over the Sophie Toscan du Plantier murder and the lack of a prison sentence.

As I was following the case in the newspapers over the last two months I always though that they had the wrong people, it didn't seem to make sense as if these were two lads picked up to sacrifice in the name of justice to maintain the tourist industry.

What is important is the whoever committed the murder has still not been brought to justice. The Mauritius police need to do a more professional job in bringing the killer to justice.

• Advertisement

they would if they could. In a moment.

But they can't so they won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

But they can't so they won't.

Why cant they ? and we will see for how long they wont, The paper that prints them here will sell like hot cakes,and at the end of the day that's what the papers are in business for.

realies wrote: »
    Why cant they ? and we will see for how long they wont, The paper that prints them here will sell like hot cakes,and at the end of the day that's what the papers are in business for.

and newspaper journalists are generally mentally ill, have drink, drug and sex addiction problems - many are social psychopaths devoid of compassion who found employment in a profession devoid of ethics.

They are only "outraged" that a newspaper in Maritius can print what they wish they could here.

I don't understand the outrage over the publishing of the photos, it's not as if it's the first instance of a newspaper doing so. While it may not be the most tasteful act I wonder if the people so outraged by it would be equally outraged had the Daily Mail or the Sun published a picture of a woman from Mauritius who had been murdered in Ireland?

I know it may not be relevant, but there have been a number of coffee table books of crime scene photographs published over the years and no one has been outraged by them.

and newspaper journalists are generally mentally ill, have drink, drug and sex addiction problems - many are social psychopaths devoid of compassion who found employment in a profession devoid of ethics.

They are only "outraged" that a newspaper in Maritius can print what they wish they could here.

Aaah now hang on there :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

and newspaper journalists are generally mentally ill, have drink, drug and sex addiction problems - many are social psychopaths devoid of compassion who found employment in a profession devoid of ethics

Jesus there's no words

I don't understand the outrage over the publishing of the photos, it's not as if it's the first instance of a newspaper doing so. While it may not be the most tasteful act I wonder if the people so outraged by it would be equally outraged had the Daily Mail or the Sun published a picture of a woman from Mauritius who had been murdered in Ireland?

I know it may not be relevant, but there have been a number of coffee table books of crime scene photographs published over the years and no one has been outraged by them.

There seems to be a sort of its alright for us attitude but the cheek of them lowly Islanders finding some of there people not guilty when us Irish now they murdered them all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

So, who's your least favourite journalist then?

• Onixx wrote: »
    Heard some gimp on the radio saying Irish people shouldn't holiday in Mauritius because of this. And yeah, French people shouldn't holiday in Ireland because of the Du Plantier case I guess. Hilarious grasp on logic some folks have.

Yeah, I know. Shows a lack of intelligence, IMO. Isolated incidents are isolated incidents. This could have happened almost anywhere. I've seen loads of comments saying people should boycott Mauritius because of this. So I guess they should boycott pretty much every country in the world.

So, who's your least favourite journalist then?

Paul willy ,Its a wonder he is not out there blaming Dublin or Limerick scummers for the horrific crime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Sean Kelly former president of the GAA.

Bet there wouldn't have been a peep out of him had the father in law and hubby not been gaaaa heads.

Her father actually. But you probably knew that, like all the other private detectives who know feck all about the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

:mad:Just read that a newspaper over there published pictures of her dead body, people need to boycott that savage backward country, nothing better than a bunch of animals over there.
    A official boycott needs to begin and any of there citizens over here need to be deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

:mad:Just read that a newspaper over there published pictures of her dead body, people need to boycott that savage backward country, nothing better than a bunch of animals over there.
    A official boycott needs to begin and any of there citizens over here need to be deported.

Not that you'd generalise or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Unlike this savage backward country where worse things have happened.
    At least two innocent men have their freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Unlike this savage backward country where worse things have happened.

About as innocent as OJ Simpson I'd say. Given the fact that the whole trail was a sham and a pantomime theres no way that their innocence can be taken for granted.

The photos that have been published in the Mauritian newspaper can only have been leaked by either the Police, the prosecution counsel, the defence counsel or more than likely the Jury which just goes to show what a joke of a justice system that Mauritius has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

SocSocPol wrote: »

I wouldn't go that far now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

This may not be a particularly popular or sensitive thing to say but here goes.

There have been many remarks made about the standard of the police investigation in this particular case and a lot of these comments have their merits. It is clear that the way the investigation was handled leaves a lot to be desired.However, as a nation, we are in no position to denigrate or criticize the standards of policing of any other nation without looking at our own police force first.

A particular example that I've heard mentioned since the verdict is the Sophie Toscan Du Plantier murder investigation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Where's your FBI statistics to back that up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

token101 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far now!

Why? If the evidence wasnt there to convict then they cant be convicted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Sean Kelly former president of the GAA.

Bet there wouldn't have been a peep out of him had the father in law and hubby not been gaaaa heads.

Watching and reading the media coverage, I get the same impression that because we have a victim who came from a prominent GAA family, that she matters more than other murder victims. I have been looking at the Indo's website in recent days, and they have about a dozen articles/columns on this one story.

I honestly don't think the motives of FG in this are entirely sincere, either.

Before others reply, I 100% want to see someone put in jail for this, but this week has really highlighted how the media and our political class are in their own bubble.

Advertisement