Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

cruise wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I'm aware, the gardai have never released a murder victims body to the media for front page news. I think the closest to this was the body in the canal case, where they released a picture of the victims face as they were unable to identify him.

Anyway, to release those photos of michaela was just a vile act to sell a newspaper!

Was garda mccabe not in the front pages after being shot,also Mick brady was splashed across the papers after being shot dead in dublin with his head lying back in his car. I am sure there are many others.

Look I quite understand people here being angry but calling for repercussions against the people and country of mauritius for a single common murder is just not on.imo.

If that chap in Japan who is charged with the murder of that lovely wexford girl is acquitted,For some whatever reason,Will there be such a backlash against Japan,will there **** and our brave government be keeping its mouth shut.Let it go people we/you are embarrassing ourselves.

Rasheed wrote: »
    Well obviously it does or it wouldn't be on it. Fact is, MOST of the country is interested that justice is done.

Even if you don't know who Mickey Harte is, which I find hard to believe, you must surely agree that it that it's not right that her killer is still free and thats what warrents the interest.

I had no idea who he was before the murder occurred, in fact I imagine that the many others out there with no interest in GAA were the same. I still know little of him other than the fact that he is invovled in the GAA and believe it or not I really have no interest in knowing anything about him. I simply do not care about him or his life.

People keep saying that we have an interest in justice being done and while I agree to a degree, had the two defendants int his case been convinced justice would not have been done.

Has the family made any indication as to what they think of the verdict? Right from the start I imagine that they were quite skeptical especially given where they're from.

:confused::confused: You explain this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

realies wrote: »
    Was garda mccabe not in the front pages after being shot,also Mick brady was splashed across the papers after being shot dead in dublin with his head lying back in his car. I am sure there are many others.

Look I quite understand people here being angry but calling for repercussions against the people and country of mauritius for a single common murder is just not on.imo.

If that chap in Japan who is charged with the murder of that lovely wexford girl is acquitted,For some whatever reason,Will there be such a backlash against Japan,will there **** and our brave government be keeping its mouth shut.Let it go people we/you are embarrassing ourselves.

I don't think I'm embarrassing myself at all. God forbid anything happen to a loved one of yours, would you take to kindly to their picture being printed on front page papers?

I never said anything about boycotting the country. However, I personally would never put my foot to the place. Tey are backwards and corrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I had no idea who he was before the murder occurred, in fact I imagine that the many others out there with no interest in GAA were the same. I still know little of him other than the fact that he is invovled in the GAA and believe it or not I really have no interest in knowing anything about him. I simply do not care about him or his life.

People keep saying that we have an interest in justice being done and while I agree to a degree, had the two defendants int his case been convinced justice would not have been done.

You have an interest in justice being done to a degree? So you'd just rather we'd all shut up talking about it because you have no interest?

• Advertisement

You have an interest in justice being done to a degree? So you'd just rather we'd all shut up talking about it because you have no interest?

That's not what I said, I would like to see justice done in every case but had the two defendants in this case been convicted justice would not have been done. People on here are calling for the defendants to face life in prison yet there is no way in hell any jury in the world would convict them based on the trail that occurred. To convict them based on what was seen in the courtroom would have been a miscarriage of justice.

I have no problem with people discussing the case, what I have a problem with is the near constant coverage in every news paper and news report in the country. I also have an issue with people who think that the defendants should have been convicted based on how "dubious" they look.

I don't think I'm embarrassing myself at all. God forbid anything happen to a loved one of yours, would you take to kindly to their picture being printed on front page papers?

I never said anything about boycotting the country. However, I personally would never put my foot to the place. They are backwards and corrupt.

Actually seems that you asked my aunt was murdered in dublin in 1974, still no one brought to justice for it.

Backwards & corrupt what Island are you talking about there, theres or ours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Crime scene pictures are published all the time but I have never seen any outrage over it on boards, does the fact that the murder victim is Irish make the publishing of the pictures that bit more wrong?

Alright so, give us some examples of crime scene photos (where the body is not covered up) from a murder in Ireland being published in Irish newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Actually seems that you asked my aunt was murdered in dublin in 1974, still no one brought to justice for it.

Backwards & corrupt what Island are you talking about there, theres or ours ?

I'm sorry about your aunt but the I'm sure the media didn't act in such a distasteful manner as the Mauritian media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I dont think it's illegal to publish pictures of dead bodies in newspapers(happens almost everyday in our own press, Syria? Libya? Gadaffi? Bin Laden?) but given the circumstances it's highly insensitive and distasteful to put it mildly.

Talk of a boycott is pretty senseless but comparing this to the Di Plantier case its a lot different. What you had here was a young couple going to a popular tourist destination, staying in a 5 star hotel, with cameras, lots of people and witnesses around, a seemingly frenzied attack which should have left a lot of evidence..there should have been no excuse for the cops over there not to have been able to garner enough evidence to make a conviction, If they conducted the investigation properly.

• Advertisement

That's not what I said, I would like to see justice done in every case but had the two defendants in this case been convicted justice would not have been done. People on here are calling for the defendants to face life in prison yet there is no way in hell any jury in the world would convict them based on the trail that occurred. To convict them based on what was seen in the courtroom would have been a miscarriage of justice.

I have no problem with people discussing the case, what I have a problem with is the near constant coverage in every news paper and news report in the country. I also have an issue with people who think that the defendants should have been convicted based on how "dubious" they look.

Completely agree with you on the convicting of the two lads, they appear to be innocent so fair enough.

It's one day after the trial concluded. Of course it's going to be front page news, it's not like it was six months ago. And so it should, the whole police investigation was like something out of Faulty Towers, they desicrated that girls memory by printing pictures of the woman dead, the family had to come back after spending two months watching a trial where every sort of shiite was brought up and they still have no answers.

No wonder people are angry and while it may be misplaced by blaming all Mauritians, it's still raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

RTÉ really need to give it a rest. They are just as bad as any newspaper in Mauritius.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MrSing

Would it make me a bad person if I asked for links to the photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

MrSing wrote: »
    Troll alert.

MrSing wrote: »
    Oh Jesus I hope you said that as a troll.

Alright so, give us some examples of crime scene photos (where the body is not covered up) from a murder in Ireland being published in Irish newspapers.

While I can't name any specific case I have seen a number of gangland murder photos in the papers over the years. I'm sure with a little searching online I can link to articles where pictures were published or I could simply link tot eh numerous coffee table books of crime scene photos that exist.
    Completely agree with you on the convicting of the two lads, they appear to be innocent so fair enough.

It's one day after the trial concluded. Of course it's going to be front page news, it's not like it was six months ago. And so it should, the whole police investigation was like something out of Faulty Towers, they desicrated that girls memory by printing pictures of the woman dead, the family had to come back after spending two months watching a trial where every sort of shiite was brought up and they still have no answers.

No wonder people are angry and while it may be misplaced by blaming all Mauritians, it's still raw.

The case was investigated in a completely ridiculous manner and while the publishing of the photo was deeply insensitive I don't recall anyone being shocked or outraged when the photos of David Carradine's dead body were published.

I wonder if all those on here so deeply shocked and outraged by the publications of the photos would feel the same if an Irish paper published pictures of a murdered Spanish girl on holiday in Ireland?

I'm sorry about your aunt but the I'm sure the media didn't act in such a distasteful manner as the Mauritian media.

Well that depends on what you mean as distasteful doesn't it,The point is that our lovely small country here are no better in criminal matters,(with many criminal cases here to prove it) than the Island of mauritius, lots of miscarriages of justice here,lots of vile horrible pictures of victims printed here.

Amy Fitzpatrick went missing on the evening of New Years Day 1st January 2008 at approximately 10pm when she left her friends house in the tourist resort of Riviera Del Sol on the Costa Del Sol to take the 10 minute walk to her house. By now even though the parents will not admit it publicly the very worse is feared. he she was murdered. Why is there not a big interest in her unfortunate case where the spanish police where very slow in even looking for her ?

Where is there not a boycott of spain,Why are people still travelling there ? How can you just disappear into thin air and no one cares ?

As been said already terrible murders happen all the time to lovely innocent people its a fact of our lives.It has never stopped me going to other countries and it wouldn't stop me going to mauritius if i so wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

While I can't name any specific case I have seen a number of gangland murder photos in the papers over the years. I'm sure with a little searching online I can link to articles where pictures were published or I could simply link tot eh numerous coffee table books of crime scene photos that exist.

So you were talking out of your hole, basically.

I wonder if all those on here so deeply shocked and outraged by the publications of the photos would feel the same if an Irish paper published pictures of a murdered Spanish girl on holiday in Ireland?

Well I don't know to tell you the truth. You would hope they would but people can be queer.

I don't make it a habit of memorizing murders but over the years I have seen a number of crime scene photos in news papers, in fact I own a number of coffee table books of crime scene photos.

• Advertisement

Amy Fitzpatrick went missing on the evening of New Years Day 1st January 2008 at approximately 10pm when she left her friends house in the tourist resort of Riviera Del Sol on the Costa Del Sol to take the 10 minute walk to her house. By now even though the parents will not admit it publicly the very worse is feared. he she was murdered. Why is there not a big interest in her unfortunate case where the spanish police where very slow in even looking for her ?

Sorry for going off thread but you are right, this case always intrigued me. There was so little coverage of it, I assumed that she'd ran off with a boyfriend or something. Poor family still wondering.

Garda mccabe's very graphic dead shot body photo was printed in the papers.

Also as very graphic was Michaels brady shot body, that was also front page photos in the papers.

On another point there are and always have been numerous leaks by Irish Garda to the media,That's how it works with police & journalists everywhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I wonder what ordinary people in Mauritius think of it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

RTÉ really need to give it a rest. They are just as bad as any newspaper in Mauritius.

ffs RTE would never put up photos like that Mauritius newspaper did. It's an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Teaandcoffee

As I understand Michaela is a UK citizen. Why is Kenny involving himself in the the rights of a UK citizen in a former UK colony? The ROI does not represent her legal status.

The Du Plantier case is unresolved; a case were we caused grief for the family by stone walling the French authorities requests for the case files before they were finally handed over.

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    ffs RTE would never put up photos like that Mauritius newspaper did. It's an absolute disgrace.

News of the World, The Sun, Daily Mail, etc would all publish the pics so I don't see the issue with a paper over there doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

As I understand Michaela is a UK citizen. Why is Kenny involving himself in the the rights of a UK citizen in a former UK colony? The ROI does not represent her legal status.

The Du Plantier case is unresolved; a case were we caused grief for the family by stone walling the French authorities requests for the case files before they were finally handed over.

I would have thought she was an Irish passport holder and that folk Catholic / Nationalists in NI are as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

She held an Irish passport. Not sure how citizenship works now since the good friday agreement. But I'd assume she considered herself Irish.

I met many people from across the border at the european championships supporting Ireland. Should they not support Ireland even though they consider themselves to be Irish?

Ireland also granted an Irish passport to somebody kidnapped in the middle eat a few years back. Cant remember this name.

Poor Enda Kenny gets criticised regardless of what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

Well obviously it does or it wouldn't be on it. Fact is, MOST of the country is interested that justice is done.

Even if you don't know who Mickey Harte is, which I find hard to believe, you must surely agree that it that it's not right that her killer is still free and thats what warrents the interest.
    why would you find it hard to believe that someone doesn't know who Mickey Harte is :confused: I never heard of him before this murder I have no interest in gaa yet I still followed the trial

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

News of the World, The Sun, Daily Mail, etc would all publish the pics so I don't see the issue with a paper over there doing so.

Thats debatable. I dont recall seeing any pictures of crime scenes where the body was still present.

There would be an outcry if any of them published pictures of the Manuela Riedo crime scene. Its one thing showing photos of the location after the crime scene has been cleaned up etc. Its a completely different story when the pictures are an active crime scene.

I would be horrified. I was ashamed of the Riedo murder in Galway. If pictures were published in the paper, I would be even more ashamed. Pictures were published of the laneway in which she was murdered but not of the actual crime-scene.

Advertisement