Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

the poor McAreavey family are being taken for a ride of mammoth proportions by this shower in Mauritius.

I hope they get a better lawyer and screw them fekers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

She held an Irish passport. Not sure how citizenship works now since the good friday agreement. But I'd assume she considered herself Irish.

I met many people from across the border at the european championships supporting Ireland. Should they not support Ireland even though they consider themselves to be Irish?

Ireland also granted an Irish passport to somebody kidnapped in the middle eat a few years back. Cant remember this name.

Poor Enda Kenny gets criticised regardless of what he does.

Anybody born on the Island of Ireland is entitled to Irish citizenship & passport.

That's debatable. I don't recall seeing any pictures of crime scenes where the body was still present.

I have already posted twice that there were indeed graphic murder pictures of Irish people at the crime scenes printed in Irish newspapers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Anybody born on the Island of Ireland is entitled to Irish citizenship & passport.
    Since 2005 that is not 100% accurate.

Since 2005 that is not 100% accurate.

A child born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 is entitled to Irish citizenship if they have a British parent or a parent who is entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without restriction on their residency. Other foreign national parents of children born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 must prove that they have a genuine link to Ireland. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

we really are getting further off topic :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

I had no idea who he was before the murder occurred, in fact I imagine that the many others out there with no interest in GAA were the same. I still know little of him other than the fact that he is invovled in the GAA and believe it or not I really have no interest in knowing anything about him. I simply do not care about him or his life.

People keep saying that we have an interest in justice being done and while I agree to a degree, had the two defendants int his case been convinced justice would not have been done.

Sorry but I have feck all interest in GAA and even I know who Micky Harte is, I'd heard about him long before this whole awful saga emerged.

He's one of the most prominant GAA managers in the country and certainly one of the most charasmatic of any code.

Just because you have had your head stuck in the sand for the last ten years it doesn't mean everyone else has too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Never heard of Mickey Harte prior to this either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Ireland also granted an Irish passport to somebody kidnapped in the middle eat a few years back. Cant remember this name.

Was it Ken Bigley? Didn't do him any good unfortunately.

casio4 wrote: »
    we really are getting further off topic :rolleyes:

Yes your right, I have said all I want to say on this unfortunate topic and I do wish the families of both the hartes & mcAreavey families do find some peace & justice eventually.

• Advertisement

Thats debatable. I dont recall seeing any pictures of crime scenes where the body was still present.

There would be an outcry if any of them published pictures of the Manuela Riedo crime scene. Its one thing showing photos of the location after the crime scene has been cleaned up etc. Its a completely different story when the pictures are an active crime scene.

People have posted a number of examples of Irish newspapers publishing crime scene photos where the body was there. It's also not like the publishing of the pictures today is an isolated incident, plenty of foreign and national newspapers have published crime scene photos with the victim included. There are even books of crime scene photos available to buy, really don't see why the publishing of these pictures is any more a crime than the publishing of any other.
    I would be horrified. I was ashamed of the Riedo murder in Galway. If pictures were published in the paper, I would be even more ashamed. Pictures were published of the laneway in which she was murdered but not of the actual crime-scene.

I can't understand how anyone would feel shame that there was a murder outside of their control? Do you feel shame every time some Irish person is murdered in the country or does your sympathy just extend to foreigners holidaying/living here? I could understand feeling shame if it was a member of your family who commited the murder but I really do not see how anyone could feel shame because an action was committed that they could have done nothing to stop.
    V480 wrote: »
    Sorry but I have feck all interest in GAA and even I know who Micky Harte is, I'd heard about him long before this whole awful saga emerged.

He's one of the most prominant GAA managers in the country and certainly one of the most charasmatic of any code.

Just because you have had your head stuck in the sand for the last ten years it doesn't mean everyone else has too.

I'm fairly certain that a hell of a lot of people have no idea who he is. It's not as if he is a celebratory or would be plastered across any newspaper be it tabloid or broadsheet. In fact were it not for the fact that his daughter in law was murdered I would still be blissfully unaware of who the hell he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I have already posted twice that there were indeed graphic murder pictures of Irish people at the crime scenes printed in Irish newspapers.

Yet, you have not provided a link or source to verify this....
    Was it Ken Bigley? Didn't do him any good unfortunately.

Yeah, Bigley was the guy I was thinking of.

realies wrote: »
    :confused::confused: You explain this please.

Being Catholics in Northern Ireland I would hope the family has sense and enough of a memory to know that the police pushing someone as a suspect can mean very little in terms of whether or not that suspect is likely to be guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

As I understand Michaela is a UK citizen. Why is Kenny involving himself in the the rights of a UK citizen in a former UK colony? The ROI does not represent her legal status.

The Du Plantier case is unresolved; a case were we caused grief for the family by stone walling the French authorities requests for the case files before they were finally handed over.

Good chance she has an Irish passport.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Being Catholics in Northern Ireland I would hope the family has sense and enough of a memory to know that the police pushing someone as a suspect can mean very little in terms of whether or not that suspect is likely to be guilty.

Of course the Gardai here never pushed anyone...remember that case in Donegal not so long ago when someone innocent was framed by rotten Gardai and jailed for supply drugs in a niteclub?

Talking about the police in the North, it said on RTE radio that there were no less than 3 members of the PSNI accompaning the family at the trial in Mauritus. What was that all about? Why so many, so far from home? Especially if the McAreaveys were not even UK passport holders?

Maybe the PSNI know something the local cops don't?

Yet, you have not provided a link or source to verify this....

LAST weekend, as the rest of the media dithered about the merits of releasing the McCabe murder gang, the Sunday Independent and Sunday World ran front-page pictures of Garda Jerry McCabe lying dead in his car.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=shocking%20pictures%20of%20 garda%20mc%20cabe%20dead&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CGAQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.ie%2Fopinion%2Fanalysis%2Fgraphic-mccabe-photo-showed-brutal-reality-of-terrorism-487021.html&ei=FkADUI37A86WhQf29cz4Bw&usg=AFQjCNG5qConsyS62Ywd5zNYEGT-_BUXCA

Yeah, Bigley was the guy I was thinking of.

Cant seem to get the picture up,but here is a piece on the storm over the publishing

Michael Brady was shot dead as he drove into an apartment complex on the Liffey Quays in September 1996 cant get the photo of this man either,But remember it in the Indo & herald.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

As I understand Michaela is a UK citizen. Why is Kenny involving himself in the the rights of a UK citizen in a former UK colony? The ROI does not represent her legal status.

The Du Plantier case is unresolved; a case were we caused grief for the family by stone walling the French authorities requests for the case files before they were finally handed over.

Do you have any idea how matters like these work? Sure ****, why doesn't the Afghanistan government just ask the US government for all it's files on the 9/11 attacks. No doubt, the Irish authorities probably weren't the quickest or most co-operative to help out with French requests, but it's hardly stonewalling. Governments and national agencies find it hard enough to work with each other, let alone co-operate with foreign ones.

Former UK colony? Where? Mauritius? That was part of France.
    It was a UK colony until 1968.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It was a UK colony until 1968.

I wiki'd that after. Zee embarrassment is paramount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

As far as i am aware the paper in question is a fledgling paper in Mauritius. A bit of controversy, raise it's profile, sell more papers.....age old tactic in any country. I guarantee most other papers in that country will have a right go at them for doing it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

was sent a link to the Mauritian facebook page.

We certainly have a lot of literate intelligent people on this Utopian, crime free and corrupt free island of ours. One to be proud of.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mauritius/7172188567

There is no doubt that justice has not been served, as a young woman was killed and no one has received punishment for it. But some of the rubbish being spouted since is utterly ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭WolfgangWeisen

bruschi wrote: »
    was sent a link to the Mauritian facebook page.

We certainly have a lot of literate intelligent people on this Utopian, crime free and corrupt free island of ours. One to be proud of.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mauritius/7172188567

There is no doubt that justice has not been served, as a young woman was killed and no one has received punishment for it. But some of the rubbish being spouted since is utterly ridiculous.
    The same people who comment and spout sh*te all over youtube videos also do the same on companies/non-personal entities social media sites, news articles, etc. It's morons and nothing more, whose opinions are never listened to offline so feel like voicing them online in the hope that someone will respond.

I feel terrible the injustice that we've witnessed over this trial but I'm glad to see those two guys go free. They'd no evidence against them and I'd rather see nobody tried and an upset family than two innocent people jailed for the sake of jailing someone.

I have had a good laugh at all the people saying they'd boycott Mauritius now though given that the majority are people whose idea of a holiday would be a week of boozing in the Costa or who'd never be able to afford to go to Mauritius in the first place. They were already passively boycotting the place so it's not going to make much of a difference if they claim to be actively boycotting it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,474 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did I hear right the Irish Government are now getting involved?

Will this be done for all Irish murdered abroad :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Will this be done for all Irish murdered abroad :rolleyes:

In cases where the murder investigation was handled as ineptly as this one? - yes, they most likely would. As would most other countries.

• If she had an Irish passport, she's an Irish citizen. She might not have had a British passport at all. Most of my family in NI are Irish passport holders and therefore use the Irish embassies abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

K-9 wrote: »
    Good chance she has an Irish passport.

According to Tommie Gorman on one of the news broadcasts last week, she holds an Irish Passport, and is a fluent Irish speaker too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

ejmaztec wrote: »
    No it doesn't.

Considering the killer is still out there, possibly still working in a hotel somewhere, who in their right mind would want to go on a holiday, and spend most of it looking over their shoulder, or wondering whether someone's robbing their hotel room when they return to it?

Because there are no criminals at large in Dublin or anywhere else, just Mauritius :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lads, does anybody know how 2 hotel employees earning lowest minimum wage, were able to afford probably to top legal official in the country as their defense lawyer?

something doesn't add up there as to how such a strong defence team was assembled for a case like this and the police and prosecution were left looking like a bunch of amateurs against them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

lads, does anybody know how 2 hotel employees earning lowest minimum wage, were able to afford probably to top legal official in the country as their defense lawyer?

something doesn't add up there as to how such a strong defence team was assembled for a case like this and the police and prosecution were left looking like a bunch of amateurs against them.
    Free legal aid?
    Or taken Pro Bono by layers concerned at the railroading of two guys by an inept and brutal police force?

Advertisement