Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

danniemcq wrote: »
    same with the states then, and the UK, and i'm sure many other countries too. also you probably couldn't go to a county in Ireland where there is an unsolved murder.

you can't blame an entire nation for the horrors commited by of a couple of people

i dont blame the people but i honestly believe a corrupt judicial system from the reports over last few weeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

baldbear wrote: »
    Poor family. Wasn't dna discovered from a unidentified person??

I think the only DNA found was her husbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mr j tayto

Thoughts should be with her poor family now, where can they go from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Toxic7

Always thought those two guys were being stitched up

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

davet82 wrote: »
    i'd boycott ireland if i could but i'm stuck here...

but seriously, yeah why the fcuk not, maybe if people banded together more things might actually get done

You're not stuck here - you choose to stay here and complain about it.

there's plenty of ports/airports. Cheerio!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

hondasam wrote: »

Does make you wonder if thats what really happened. All very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

My gf is convinced the husband did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭emo72

well what would be needed for a conviction? an actual eyewitness that saw the killers with his around the victims neck?

as for the dont visit mauritius thoughts? well it certainly wont be high on my list of priorities.

and its not for the conviction. im more angry at the farcical trial, regardless of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have to admit in the beginning I did suspect her husband.
    It's the logical place to start. If someone is murdered while in the vicinity of someone they know (especially family), then that family member is the most likely suspect.
    It's cold and callous, but in situations such as this where someone has died and there are no witnesses, the very first person you arrest for questioning is the spouse.
    That's no excuse for the way he was treated in custody though.

I have no "gut" feeling that he was involved at all. Only in Hollywood movies do people develop convuluted plans to get their victim to fall in love with them, marry them and then murder them five days later on honeymoon. Not even the most off the wall conspiracy theorists have proposed any motive for him.
    What happens now?
    Dunno. Sits as an unsolved case. They will probably go back to the drawing board to try and piece something together to give them an insight.
    In most prosecutions you find that the investigating officers already know with nearly 100% surity what happened and whodunnit, it's just a matter of gathering evidence that will stand up to courtroom scrutiny.
    So if they still believe these two guys are guilty, they will probably try to gather more evidence against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

paddyh117 wrote: »
    eh.......OJ Simpson was also found NOT guilty!!

oh so everyone who has ever been accused of anything is obviously guilty then.

There will always be cases where the guilty get away and likewise the inncocent are jailed but i'd rather live in a world where there is a greater chance of innocents remaining free than locking everyone up just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Poor family. Wasn't dna discovered from a unidentified person??

I just google it. Some DNA was found on her head that was never identified
    .Awful for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

emo72 wrote: »
    well what would be needed for a conviction? an actual eyewitness that saw the killers with his around the victims neck?

maybe a witness who was facing jail himself until he got immunity by being a eyewitness himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They may well have picked the wrong guys, which means the guilty feckers get away with it. I wonder if they're going to have another investigation or just sweep the whole thing under the carpet?

The defence lawyers came out with some appalling crap during the trial, and I hope that one day it comes back to bite the feckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

InTheTrees wrote: »
    My gf is convinced the husband did it.
    He was at the pool waiting for her while she was been murdered. CCTV showed him there at the time. I think the two guys did it but the cops screwed up.

danniemcq wrote: »
    oh so everyone who has ever been accused of anything is obviously guilty then.

There will always be cases where the guilty get away and likewise the inncocent are jailed but i'd rather live in a world where there is a greater chance of innocents remaining free than locking everyone up just in case.

did i say that?? No - i was making the point that there are similarities between how the police/prosecution in both cases seem to have messed it up and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Whilst the courtroom antics have been an undignified sham, it looks though at least one of the accused could never have committed the crime. He made a call to his sister while the crime was supposedly being committed, also without DNA linking the 2 it's a shame we've got as far as a prosecution.

Looks like an attempted fit up by the police.

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Does make you wonder if thats what really happened. All very strange

You would expect to find the husband's DNA they were sharing the same room.
    I do wonder and a little bit of me still thinks it was him. I'm aware I will get slated for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

there's more to this than meets the eye - and I'm not talking about the two lads (who would have been in a panic when she walked in - too panic to clean up their DNA) and I;m not talking about the poor husband.

It all seems a bit odd to me - very weird scene with no dna, no evidence, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

The cop who said "you are young, you will find another wife" should be sacked. The circus act legal team should face charges for disrupting the trial.

I well and truly believe that this is due to the lack of a proper Police investigation. It may not be the best way to make up your mind about a Police force but based on the news reports, a murder investigation seemed like too much work for them. They didn't preserve the crime scene like they should have done and seemed too laid back about the whole thing.

Feel sorry for John and his (and Michaelas) family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I do wonder and a little bit of me still thinks it was him. I'm aware I will get slated for this.

Why though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I honestly don't think it was, he really seems like a genuine, nice guy (and I'm aware that I don't actually know the guy!) but when you compare it to the Rachel O' Reilly case for instance it was so obvious from the beginning that he did it. In this case, they seemed so happy and in love, I can't imagine him doing something like that - but then maybe I'm just very naive:o

He was at the pool waiting for her while she was been murdered. CCTV showed him there at the time. I think the two guys did it but the cops screwed up.

There was cctv of him waiting at the pool? I don't remember that in the other thread Seamus might know.
    We did disagree on how long she was gone before he went looking for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I was right.

An island of savages which can sink into the ocean with luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

The DNA of the 2 were not found in the room seems to have acquitted them IMO

there's more to this than meets the eye - and I'm not talking about the two lads (who would have been in a panic when she walked in - too panic to clean up their DNA) and I;m not talking about the poor husband.

It all seems a bit odd to me - very weird scene with no dna, no evidence, etc.

It's not CSI Mauritius!! the local police are clearly incompetent, that explains practically everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Volvic12

This whole situation is very sad. Some closure would have been nice for the family but if these men were innocent (not convinced myself) it would have been wrong to make them scapegoats.
    For anyone that is insinuating that the husband was involved, I think now is not the time for speculation about him. Him and is family must be devestated and these suggestions by posters - " does make you wonder what happened/I have to admit, I did think it was the husband at the start" - are of poor taste in my opinion. But I suppose this forum is to allow people to say what they think so eveyone is entitled to an opinion!
    Last thought - just because they were found not guilty does not mean they didn't do it. Many many people have escaped the law because their defense team was better than the prosecutions. It happens every day..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,070 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If there's an element of doubt like this from someone here, I can imagine how easy it was for the Mauritians to believe the defence lawyers over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Why do you think it was him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

From the rte report:
    Throngs of people cheered "justice, justice" in Creole as policemen hurried the men through the courtyard.

Does this mean people were cheering justice in support of the decision????

Seems strange behaviour considering that whoever is the real murderer has not been convicted.

Or were people chanting it demanding justice?

I followed the trial and have no idea if they did it. But as far as I am aware, you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they were the murderers and there seemed to be a whole lot of doubt if they were....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,467 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement