Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

lads, does anybody know how 2 hotel employees earning lowest minimum wage, were able to afford probably to top legal official in the country as their defense lawyer?

something doesn't add up there as to how such a strong defence team was assembled for a case like this and the police and prosecution were left looking like a bunch of amateurs against them.

They may have carried out the work Pro Bono (means 'for the good' usually for free). It was big case and covered internationally, therefore lots of free advertising, also a good oppurtunity to expose the police methods when obtaining confessions

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

bruschi wrote: »
    was sent a link to the Mauritian facebook page.

We certainly have a lot of literate intelligent people on this Utopian, crime free and corrupt free island of ours. One to be proud of.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mauritius/7172188567

There is no doubt that justice has not been served, as a young woman was killed and no one has received punishment for it. But some of the rubbish being spouted since is utterly ridiculous.

Christ above but there's some fair stupid people living in Ireland. some of those comments are shocking...it's not like they can claim poverty and poor education like some 3rd world country but to be honest if the majority of those idiots died it would be a positive effect on the gene pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cricketfan

Not sure if it's been mentioned here but Vincent Browne a few weeks back gave a very precise example of another murder of an Irish woman in Limerick about the same time as this one, yet the wider media, both print and visual, is only interested in what from Irish standards is seen as a 'celebrity' murder.

All instances such as this are very sad and tragic for all those concerned but for the media to only concentrate on the one is a horrendous indictment of our society as is the outcry from some who have just assumed for themselves that these two must be guilty.

For Kenny now to get involved, well, he's just playing up to a pliable public. If I was a close relative of someone who has been murdered on foreign shores, I'd be having very mixed feelings at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

After the way the investigation into Sophie Tuscon de Plantier's murder was made a complete shambles of we can't really point the finger too much at any other country's leg]al system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Morlar wrote: »
    I could give a fcuk what a politician says about that but personally I would not be putting a few thousand euro into their economy by ever going there. That country is a ****hole of the lowest order.

It's a beautiful country with some of the nicest, polite people I've ever met. I'd recomend it to anyone to go if they get a chance. Bad things and police **** ups happen everywhere has been said by plenty on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

cricketfan wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned here but Vincent Browne a few weeks back gave a very precise example of another murder of an Irish woman in Limerick about the same time as this one, yet the wider media, both print and visual, is only interested in what from Irish standards is seen as a 'celebrity' murder.

All instances such as this are very sad and tragic for all those concerned but for the media to only concentrate on the one is a horrendous indictment of our society

She was a 28 year old women and got involved with a well known scumbag, he was involved in gangland and also killed a girl while joyriding

When you hook up with someone like that and live in O'Malley Park was anyone realy shocked when the two of them were killed?

When you hear about gangland enough times then lots of people just switch off

Vincent Browne missed the point

To die on your honeymoon will of course be viewed completely differently to living with a gang member and being killed by rivals
    Life is about choices and she chose to be in that situation in Limerick

It's a beautiful country with some of the nicest, polite people I've ever met. I'd recomend it to anyone to go if they get a chance. Bad things and police **** ups happen everywhere has been said by plenty on this thread.

Couldnt agree with you more. Lovely lovely place. Very nice humble people stunning scenery, id go back in the morning, if I could afford it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

According to 4fm news today Liberty Travel in Donegal has decided to boycott the country. Anyone who wants to book a holiday there will be refused service. This is getting mental now, I am sure her poor family just want to be left alone to pick up the pieces without everyone getting on the "anti mauritius" bandwagon on their behalf.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Can only go by a friend who worked there. She said the men treat her like crap

I can only go on the experience I had there. My wife and other women who we met over there were treated with nothing but respect by EVERYONE. From the moment we arrived until we met the only person who annoyed me was a guy who constantly tried to get us on this "fun boat" thing he organised, and even then I knew he was just trying to make a living.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Couldnt agree with you more. Lovely lovely place. Very nice humble people stunning scenery, id go back in the morning, if I could afford it :)

Same, I'd be on the first flight out if I could afford it, which I won't be able anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

Firstly, the publication of Jerry McCabe lying dead in his car was done with consent and the circumstances were entirely different to this case.
    I couldn't possibly see how either of these two men could be convicted of murder unfortunately but I would take Avinash Treebhoowoons confession of murder at face value. The defence team played a blinder, the prosecution...not so much.
    The publications of the photograph is disgusting, whats more the people here defending the publication as though it could be considered the norm are taking some sort of "seeing both sides of the coin from a high horse" lark too far.
    The lawyer in Mauritius is seeking arrests for the publication as it could hinder any future case. That is justice.
    The two men, found not guilty is justice, however guilty I'd "feel" they are, does not of course hold up in a court of law.
    Terrible case overall but it highlights what's common even in this country. The really degrading, humiliating, insensitive treatment of families of murder victims during trials which is common here too and there's a support group as far as I'm aware which was set up for this reason.
    There certainly isn't much difference between Mauritius and Ireland as far as I can see from this case.

Just a few of the choice posts on the facebook page.
    Few of ye fukers wud want to wake up and smell da coffy...how many more Irish peepel will have to die before dose murdering bastards are sorted out. I'll tell ya now if i ever see any dirty Maritian dogs in my country myself and my broders will flog the fuking head off dem.
    ****, go **** urselfs
    Scum bags, I will never set foot in your Country, cheering and dancing, like animals, did you ever think that a beautiful woman was murdered on her honeymoon, the lives destroyed in Ireland.
    I will never set foot in your Country.
    Such a joke locals sticking up for locals those 2 did it the whole world know it why were they in her room when she got murdered??? Hope they Rot in he'll and the country is boycot!!!!

Ireland remains the home of the saints and scholars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Those comments are typical of the types that vote for SF and who troll internet forums.

People seem to find the defendants and their family and friends celebrating the fact that they were found not guilty. Now I don't know about you but were I in the shoes of the two defendants I would be bloody ecstatic that I would not be spending the rest of my life in prison. While I like to think I would be a little more composed and respectful to the family of the victim it's hard to know how I'd react if I just discovered that I had my life back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

One of them was asked outside the court had he anything to say to the families, and he at least had the presence of mind to first say that he was very sad about "the lady", but that he didn't kill her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Getting back to the topic on hand, I suppose this will serve as a reminder that no matter how bad some of you think Ireland is (yes some people love to hate ireland and whats more they love to talk about hating Ireland) I dont think you will ever see the day were a newspaper will publish official police photos of the crime scene of a murder victim who's body was included in said photos. Sick!

jank wrote: »
    Getting back to the topic on hand, I suppose this will serve as a reminder that no matter how bad some of you think Ireland is (yes some people love to hate ireland and whats more they love to talk about hating Ireland) I dont think you will ever see the day were a newspaper will publish official police photos of the crime scene of a murder victim who's body was included in said photos. Sick!
    But they have in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Those comments are typical of the types that vote for SF and who troll internet forums.

Hijacking some young ones death to get a pathetic dig in? Very classy.

Nodin wrote: »
    Hijacking some young ones death to get a pathetic dig in? Very classy.
    But it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But it is true.

My bollocks it is. Show a bit of respect ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

But they have in the past.

Are you on about Jerry McCabe? We are way past that point and if you cant see that then no point talking to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

The majority of people who responded on that FB page are borderline illiterate, I can't take them seriously.

I don't mind the boycotting thing- I think it might be the only thing that makes their judicial system sit up and take notice.

It's all well and good comparing this case to Sophie Toscan Dy Plantier's murder, but we didn't treat her family with such disrespect and near-contempt. We also didn't splash pics of her corpse on the front of our papers.

My stomach actually turned when I heard that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

The majority of people who responded on that FB page are borderline illiterate, I can't take them seriously.

I don't mind the boycotting thing- I think it might be the only thing that makes their judicial system sit up and take notice.

It's all well and good comparing this case to Sophie Toscan Dy Plantier's murder, but we didn't treat her family with such disrespect and near-contempt. We also didn't splash pics of her corpse on the front of our papers.

My stomach actually turned when I heard that.
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. The people on the facebook page would probably never have gone near Mauritius never mind be able to point it out on a map.

The pictures thing is incredulous. They are evidence in an on going investigation and now they are in the public domain. It's gone past the point of ridiculous now.

RTÉ should really give the whole thing a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

RTÉ should really give the whole thing a rest.

Agreed, the family have just been through a horrific ordeal and should be allowed to have time and space to come to terms with the last few days. This obsession in the media cannot be helpful to them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

eviltwin wrote: »
    This obsession in the media cannot be helpful to them at all.

It isn't helpful but unfortunately the innocent verdict means there isn't the closure to this that there might have been, so on it goes.

Publishing the photo as they did was nothing more than a cheap and shameless publicity stunt, I see no other reason for it. It was done by a newspaper though, not by the Mauritian people as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Mauritian newspaper's offices raided over Michaela McAreavey photo leak. I couldn't see much fruit in this investigation as it was more than likely the cops that gave the paper these photos, probably for some cash backhander.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0716/government-to-make-formal-complaint-to-mauritius.html

Irish travel agent to boycott Mauritius holidays

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-travel-agent-to-boycott-mauritius-holidays-3168780.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Mauritian newspaper's offices raided over Michaela McAreavey photo leak. I couldn't see much fruit in this investigation as it was more than likely the cops that gave the paper these photos, probably for some cash backhander.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0716/government-to-make-formal-complaint-to-mauritius.html

Irish travel agent to boycott Mauritius holidays

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/irish-travel-agent-to-boycott-mauritius-holidays-3168780.html

FFS some companies will do anything for cheap publicity!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

SocSocPol wrote: »
    FFS some companies will do anything for cheap publicity!

I'd love to see how many holidays they have sold to Mauritius. Why they felt the need to go to the media, whilst naming their travel agents, was in the best interests of all concerned I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Show Time wrote: »
    The lads got away with murder because the cops fcuked up royally and they need to protect the one thing the island is good for which is fleecing people on holidays. Now they have a free hand to murder the tourist as well thanks to the events of today.

So yep it makes it an island full of savages in my book.

If they want to play it like there is nothing wrong and shifting thru Peoples private lives ... that is their law in their country.

Vote with your feet and Dont go there. Tourism is a big industry and if you dont protect your industry then it falls apart. This kind of thing sticks in peoples minds for years. Personally I think its like teaching monkeys to drive. Treat them as such. Dont buy Mauritius .... Watch them sit up then, its the only way.

Advertisement