Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

I really don't see how this will put people off traveling to Mauritius, I know that if I had the money and an opportunity to travel there tomorrow I'd jump at the opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I really don't see how this will put people off traveling to Mauritius, I know that if I had the money and an opportunity to travel there tomorrow I'd jump at the opportunity.

Would you want to go to a place where as serious crime was committed and what followed was a major case of the pervert the way of justice? Would you want to take a loved one there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Would you want to go to a place where as serious crime was committed and what followed was a major case of the pervert the way of justice? Would you want to take a loved one there?
    We talking about west Cork again?

I'd have no problem taking my girlfriend there on holidays. There are atrocities committed all over the world every day of the week and often the culprit is never caught due to police incompetence but we don't see people boycotting any other countries.

I imagine that the people who are so quick to jump on the boycott Mauritius campaign are the same misguided and ill informed arm chair activists who jumped on the Kony bandwagon. A quick read through the facebook comments attached to Mauritius by Irish posters and you can confirm that the average IQ of those posting is in single figures.

Would your girlfriend WANT to go there? There are perfectly reasonable alternatives like the Seychelles or the Azores. So what are we supposed to do pretend it never happened?

This affected two of citizens I think there is public pressure there to motivate the Government and Dept of Foreign affairs. This is not some tin pot dictator in a two bit country. The Government havent taken an interest in a country that far away since East Timor. I havent seen the Mauritius facebook comment so I wouldnt comment. I would doubt I am in that bracket double figure IQ. I am certain moved to impose some sort of harsh dialogue on Mauritius. Possibly restricting EU aid to Mauritius (EU give aid to countries well outside its jurisdictional like SA and Malta).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Dave! wrote: »
    One of them was asked outside the court had he anything to say to the families, and he at least had the presence of mind to first say that he was very sad about "the lady", but that he didn't kill her.

That was a response to the reporter asking him what he had to say to the Harte/Mcareavey Family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Would your girlfriend WANT to go there? There are perfectly reasonable alternatives like the Seychelles or the Azores. So what are we supposed to do pretend it never happened?

This affected two of citizens I think there is public pressure there to motivate the Government and Dept of Foreign affairs. This is not some tin pot dictator in a two bit country. The Government havent taken an interest in a country that far away since East Timor. I havent seen the Mauritius facebook comment so I wouldnt comment. I would doubt I am in that bracket double figure IQ. I am certain moved to impose some sort of harsh dialogue on Mauritius. Possibly restricting EU aid to Mauritius (EU give aid to countries well outside its jurisdictional like SA and Malta).
    Google Malta you will find it is a full member of the EU, puts the rest of your rubbish post into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well i had always planned on going there and now, after what has happened and the jokeshop the country has been show up to me, ill never set foot in the place and every day, i get more and more reasons not to go there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Google Malta you will find it is a full member of the EU, puts the rest of your rubbish post into perspective.

A simple mistake does not negate his whole point.

I stand corrected on Maltas membership of the EU, that is all. But it is unreasonable not expect the Government to take little or no action on the matter. The only way the government will move is through public pressure and pressure applied by the media. I think as we are talking about it, this is contributing to a movement.

I wonder would the Irish government be motivated if one the major purchasers of Irish beef (Egypt, Libya, Saudi Arabia) boycotted Irish produce in a similar situation. Tourism like beef is a commodity and can be sourced just as easily else where. This is how you bring about change. Remember this is being watched in the States and in the UK.

• Advertisement

after what has happened and the jokeshop the country has been show up to me, ill never set foot in the place and every day, i get more and more reasons not to go there.

This thing I am a sorry to say is far from over. I too would have loved to visit there or the Seychelles. Once you see the shift in business you will see a shift in Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I wonder would the Irish government be motivated if one the major purchasers of Irish beef (Egypt, Libya, Saudi Arabia) boycotted Irish produce in a similar situation. Tourism like beef is a commodity and can be sourced just as easily else where. This is how you bring about change. Remember this is being watched in the States and in the UK.

Have you even read the thread? Tourism figures for Mauritius are on the up and this murder has not and will not change that. While Irish and British tourist numbers have fallen the numbers from the continent are increasing. We make up a tiny part of their tourist base. Calls for a tourism boycott to the country do nothing but make the people calling for them look like reactionary idiots. Especially when those same people come from a country where a woman was murdered and her killer was never convicted due to their police force ballsing up the investigation, ie this country. And I can guarantee you that of all the things that crippled our economy a tourism boycott from the French played no part in it, nor would it have if it had happened.

iguana wrote: »
    Have you even read the thread? Tourism figures for Mauritius are on the up and this murder has not and will not change that. While Irish and British tourist numbers have fallen the numbers from the continent are increasing. We make up a tiny part of their tourist base. Calls for a tourism boycott to the country do nothing but make the people calling for them look like reactionary idiots. Especially when those same people come from a country where a woman was murdered and her killer was never convicted due to their police force ballsing up the investigation, ie this country. And I can guarantee you that of all the things that crippled our economy a tourism boycott from the French played no part in it, nor would it have if it had happened.

The Thread is 40 pages long.....

I dont think we should make comparisons with any specific cases with actions pending. Regardless whether I agree. This situation cannot go unchecked. Tourism isnt really a heavy weight industry like Pharmaceutical, the IFSC, IT and what construction was.

She would have no problem going there. At the end of the day this is an isolated incident and while a tragedy it may be it is not the first time that an incident involving an Irish person abroad has been poorly investigated. People have posted examples such as the girl who went missing in Spain and the police force who did as little as possible to investigate.

Should we all boycott England due to the many poorly investigated tragedies that have occurred over there involving Irish people? People are very quick to tar an entire nation due the the actions of a small group of people, I would hope that the French, Germans, Americans don't do similar to the Irish the next time one of their citizens is murdered over here and the investigation and court case are not spot on.

People have posted examples such as the girl who went missing in Spain and the police force who did as little as possible to investigate.

People are very quick to tar an entire nation due the the actions of a small group of people, I would hope that the French, Germans, Americans don't do similar to the Irish the next time one of their citizens is murdered over here and the investigation and court case are not spot on.

Spain is a country with no extradition and attracts a certain underbelly because of it. They are partly responsible for this. Spain's large tourist population is highly transient. This doesnt excuse it but it makes it harder to investigate. You expect crime in Spain not at a high class destination like Mauritius.

Lets separate the whole thing. First the murder, that is as is (no comment). Then the investigation was slap dash not followed through properly. Then there was the trial, which was to spread the blame on everybody else but the culprits. Then there was the Circus that happened in the media.

Its this small section of society that is in charge. the buck stops with the Police commissioner, the Judicary, and the Justice minister and the papers editor. IF they behave as monkeys they should be treated as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Spain is a country with no extradition and attracts a certain underbelly because of it. They are partly responsible for this.

Lets separate the whole thing. First the murder, that is as is (no comment). Then the investigation was slap dash not followed through properly. Then there was the trial, which was to spread the blame on everybody else but the culprits. Then there was the Circus that happened in the media.

Its this small section of society that is in charge. the buck stops with the Police commissioner, the Judicary, and the Justice minister and the papers editor. IF they behave as monkeys they should be treated as such.

I am going to bed goodnight :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

The Garda and PSNI should have sent out forensic teams at stasrt to investigate this. Michael's hands and fingers were not even swabbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Spain is a country with no extradition and attracts a certain underbelly because of it.

The late 20th century called and it suggested you might want to join us here in the 21st. It also pointed out that not having an extradition treaty with the UK because of political tensions due to the governance of Gibraltar ≠ no extradition treaties with anywhere in the world. But if you'd joined us here in the 21st century you'd know that that lack of treaty was rectified at the start of this century and that the EU treaties on arrest and extradition would provide one between them even if they hadn't worked it out in the mean time.

The Garda and PSNI should have sent out forensic teams at stasrt to investigate this. Michael's hands and fingers were not even swabbed.

While I think the whole Forensics were a joke and are well behind standards in Europe. Its still Mauritian jurisdiction, the would have needed to request it. When the body was placed in the bath it removed evidence. Also some third party DNA should have been found in the room, if it was there in the first place. No matter who you are you shed some skin or remove some hair or have some skin under the finger tips.

there is no need to be insulting Iguana. I stand corrected on the Spanish treaty situation. As I was growing up Spain was always a destination for certain people and still is. Remember two westies that went missing? Malaga, Costa Crime, the treaties may have come into play but name remains.

The point I was making is that you dont expect to have to deal with serious crime in a place like Mauritius, that is why you pay extra. how many time have you heard of hotels been ransacked by hotel staff in Spain?

• Advertisement

The point I was making is that you dont expect to have to deal with serious crime in a place like Mauritius, that is why you pay extra. how many time have you heard of hotels been ransacked by hotel staff in Spain?

I don't expect to deal with serious crime anywhere I go but I know that it is a possibility. To say that people pay extra to go to a place like Mauritius to avoid serious crime is ridiculous.

Well I went to New York, I could have had a cheaper hotel further out and the reviews of former guests didnt encourage me about the area and my own personal safety. So I paid a bit more to hotel in Manhattan, with nicer reviews. I felt safer and enjoyed my holiday more. If you get a hotel on Park Ave you expect a bit more, if you get a place near clinton expect a bit less is all I am saying. Its just risk assessment.

Well I went to New York, I could have had a cheaper hotel further out and the reviews of former guests didnt encourage me about the area and my own personal safety. So I paid a bit more to hotel in Manhattan, with nicer reviews. I felt safer and enjoyed my holiday more. If you get a hotel on Park Ave you expect a bit more, if you get a place near clinton expect a bit less is all I am saying. Its just risk assessment.

So what you are saying is that if you holiday in Mauritius you expect it to be safer than say Spain? Complete and utter crap. Out of curiosity, are you basing your opinion of Spain solely on a few films you saw such as Sexy Beast.

yes actually I do! In certain parts. I dont think Malaga can be compared with the inland mountain region. NowI have not seen Sexy Beast, but I do know a an elderly retired couple who foolishly went out after their retirement party and had their new gifts and jewellry robbed from their hotel room. Or the Westies went missing there or an individual from Wicklow(an avid hunting enthusiast) who was never heard from again. ? Yes I do base some of my perceptions of some areas of Spain on both anecodotial evidence and media reports. On the Other hand my sister walked camino di santiago and enjoyed it with out incident.
    The costal resorts and the Basque country would not be a choice for me. I do accept crime can happen anywhere but you can take measures to lessen the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some of the facebook comments are pathetic. I'm sure the Harte family don't want some bog ignorant, yahoo threatening to kill any "Mauritian Dog" he see's in "his country".

I know people are very angry and rightfully so, the police obviously made a terrible hash of this investigation. It's only natural to voice one's displeasure but it shouldn't resort to using vile language and issuing threats. I hope the Gardai take notice of a few of these plebiscites.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Some of the facebook comments are pathetic. I'm sure the Harte family don't want some bog ignorant, yahoo threatening to kill any "Mauritian Dog" he see's in "his country".

I know people are very angry and rightfully so, the police obviously made a terrible hash of this investigation. It's only natural to voice one's displeasure but it shouldn't resort to using vile language and issuing threats. I hope the Gardai take notice of a few of these plebiscites.

If there's one thing that Irish people do well it's reactionary outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

This will sound like trolling, but it isn't, it's directed at the media especially the Irish Independent, if she wasn't the middle-class, photogenic, university educated, teacher daughter of a leading GAA figure and instead she was a single mother from Coolock who was murdered in Spain ( or even Mauritius ) in similar circumstances, would the Independent be giving it so much headline space and coverage.

The corporate media seem to have a hierarchy of victimhood in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dd972 wrote: »
    This will sound like trolling, but it isn't, it's directed at the media especially the Irish Independent, if she wasn't the middle-class, photogenic, university educated, teacher daughter of a leading GAA figure and instead she was a single mother from Coolock who was murdered in Spain ( or even Mauritius ) in similar circumstances, would the Independent be giving it so much headline space and coverage.

The corporate media seem to have a hierarchy of victimhood in my opinion.
    So do RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Aye, thinking of a girl who died through using drugs

Her name was Katy French and President McAleese sent a representative to her funeral

• Advertisement

Michaela McArevey was a tragicly murder, Katy French was consenting Adult who took illegal drugs. These are not even in the same league.

Advertisement