Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

dd972 wrote: »
    This will sound like trolling, but it isn't, it's directed at the media especially the Irish Independent, if she wasn't the middle-class, photogenic, university educated, teacher daughter of a leading GAA figure and instead she was a single mother from Coolock who was murdered in Spain ( or even Mauritius ) in similar circumstances, would the Independent be giving it so much headline space and coverage.

The corporate media seem to have a hierarchy of victimhood in my opinion.

Of course they do when the victim is a well known person in her own right, Rose of tralee contestant and most gaa fans would have known of her through her father

Her father himself is one of the greatest managers in gaa history who has dealt with massive tragedy with his team on two occasions before this incident

She was murdered in tragic circumstances and the investigation to the murder was conducted disgracefully

Her husband had to deal with accusations about the couples personal life

In no way does it compare to a mother in limerick murdered with a well known criminal as Vincent Browne was claiming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Spain is a country with no extradition and attracts a certain underbelly because of it. They are partly responsible for this. Spain's large tourist population is highly transient. This doesnt excuse it but it makes it harder to investigate. You expect crime in Spain not at a high class destination like Mauritius.

Lets separate the whole thing. First the murder, that is as is (no comment). Then the investigation was slap dash not followed through properly. Then there was the trial, which was to spread the blame on everybody else but the culprits. Then there was the Circus that happened in the media.

Its this small section of society that is in charge. the buck stops with the Police commissioner, the Judicary, and the Justice minister and the papers editor. IF they behave as monkeys they should be treated as such.
    Spain does and has extradited people under European Arrest Warrants, but sure dont let the facts get in the way of your wild ranting.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Of course they do when the victim is a well known person in her own right, Rose of tralee contestant and most gaa fans would have known of her through her father

Her father himself is one of the greatest managers in gaa history who has dealt with massive tragedy with his team on two occasions before this incident

She was murdered in tragic circumstances and the investigation to the murder was conducted disgracefully

In no way does it compare to a mother in limerick murdered with a well known criminal as Vincent Browne was claiming

Seriously how many people would know the winner of Rose of Tralee, let alone a contestant, and not being a GAA fan I'd no idea who Mickey Harte was. It was a terrible tragedy, no question, but horrible stuff happens everywhere and police investigations can be ballsed up too. I wouldn't let it stop me from going to Mauritius or anywhere else in the world. Sure you'd never leave your house in that case.

Seriously how many people would know the winner of Rose of Tralee, let alone a contestant, and not being a GAA fan I'd no idea who Mickey Harte was. It was a terrible tragedy, no question, but horrible stuff happens everywhere and police investigations can be ballsed up too. I wouldn't let it stop me from going to Mauritius or anywhere else in the world. Sure you'd never leave your house in that case.

I am not saying no one should go to Mauritius just trying to give some obvious context as to why the case has been in the public eye

How many watch the Rose of Tralee on rte well over a million
    She's appeared on the late late show twice again over half a million each time
    She was at her fathers side after each all Ireland over a million would have seen this each time

Also Mickey has turned into a key note speaker to numerous businesses since 2010

While many people did not know her a lot would have recognised her and heard of her before the murder

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Paddy De Plasterer

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Aye, thinking of a girl who died through using drugs

Her name was Katy French and President McAleese sent a representative to her funeral

That poor girl was set up by that rotten dirty rag of a so called paper, the Sindo. They liked to introduce a bit of sex to boost sales during the Fanning/ Harrises reign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I am not saying no one should go to Mauritius just trying to give some obvious context as to why the case has been in the public eye

How many watch the Rose of Tralee on rte well over a million
    She's appeared on the late late show twice again over half a million each time
    She was at her fathers side after each all Ireland over a million would have seen this each time

Also Mickey has turned into a key note speaker to numerous businesses since 2010

While many people did not know her a lot would have recognised her and heard of her before the murder

its not a question of how many people wouldve seen those shows.

its the clout the organisers of those shows have in the mainstream media.

THATS why its a story as something has happend to "one of theirs".

as another guy pointed out just like with katey french.

and the media has gone completely over the top in its reaction to it. in fact id go so far to say its mass hysteria now.

its embaressing.

That poor girl was set up by that rotten dirty rag of a so called paper, the Sindo. They liked to introduce a bit of sex to boost sales during the Fanning/ Harrises reign.
    Yea they held her down and forced ounces of coke up her nose!:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Yea they held her down and forced ounces of coke up her nose!:mad:

Might as well have done (allegedly, natch). Showbiz/media is a very seductive but cruel arena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Getting back to Michaela, what can the Government do in an official capacity? This thing cant go unchecked!

Getting back to Michaela, what can the Government do in an official capacity? This thing cant go unchecked!

What would you like them to do?

• Advertisement

The Government can complain that the Police screwed up in Mauritus much the same way as our Gardai screwed up in the Toscan du Plantier case. Screaming for the jailing of two innocent men won't help, nor will referring to the people of Mauritius as "Monkeys" as you have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Much as I personally won't be holidaying there, it wouldn't look great on the world stage to boycott the place.

They can send our own authorities over, although sending a few of Ireland's finest over to a resort in sun-drenched Mauritius doesn't sound like it'll work well either.

Certainly they need to pile the pressure and stay vocal on the matter.

Well thats a good question. I think more than the government we can do more by voting with our feet. If you feel that strongly dont book a holiday there. I think it would be going too far cancelling Mauritian work visas. Its not as simple as just a murder, its what has happened in the aftermath that is frustrating part.

The raiding of the (Mauritian) Sunday Times is a good first step. Nothing is going to bring her back but steps should be put in place to ensure this doesnt happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Everyone is saying justice should have been done. If they were innocent (and I am not saying they were) then maybe justice was done. Maybe the confessions were beaten out of them. People too quickly have the mindset that if someone is on trial that they are definitely guilty. As to boycotting the country, that is crazy. You cannot judge a whole country on a trial. Most Mauritians are just as horrified as we are about it, so they should not have to pay. If we boycotted every country that had a miscarriage of justice, you would never go on holidays and even have to leave Ireland. I don't know about the rest of you, but I do not fancy living in international waters or outer space and then going to the other for my holidays.

Well thats a good question. I think more than the government we can do more by voting with our feet. If you feel that strongly dont book a holiday there. I think it would be going too far cancelling Mauritian work visas. Its not as simple as just a murder, its what has happened in the aftermath that is frustrating part.

The raiding of the (Mauritian) Sunday Times is a good first step. Nothing is going to bring her back but steps should be put in place to ensure this doesnt happen again.
    So will you be withdrawing the "Monkeys" allegation?

I don't feel that strongly at all. I accept that horrific crimes happen in every single country and that if we all got on our high horses about murder (as tragic and upsetting as it is) we'd run out of places to gallop.

Now, if Mauritius operated some kind of apartheid system or indulged in ethnic cleansing - then, I could understand a boycott.

The system screwed up & that's upsetting for the family and they need closure, for sure. But realistically, the case has to be kept high profile and pressure be put on your own TDs to deliver some kind of pressure on the Mauritian Govt. Knee jerk reactions get you nowhere. That includes using the epithet "monkeys".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't think an Irish boycott of Mauritius would have much of an impact on their tourism industry anyway.

Flukey wrote: »
    If they were innocent (and I am not saying they were) then maybe justice was done. Maybe the confessions were beaten out of them.

I have no doubt the confessions were beaten out of them. Judges attitudes are if there is only a confession with no evidence then the case get thrown out.

We had a fairly shoddy attitude to beef before the tribunals it really forced the meat industry to clean up its act. Also exporting beef on the the hoof has also forced change in the industry.

The reality I think we are facing that it is hard to get justice abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I have no doubt the confessions were beaten out of them. Judges attitudes are if there is only a confession with no evidence then the case get thrown out.

We had a fairly shoddy attitude to beef before the tribunals it really forced the meat industry to clean up its act. Also exporting beef on the the hoof has also forced change in the industry.

The reality I think we are facing that it is hard to get justice abroad.

A confession can be enough, if the persons pleads guilty they will usually cut a deal and it will a mitigating factor in considering their sentence. Because the defence cast aspersions on the validity of how the confession was obtained by police the jury concluded that it couldn't be valid. Also their official plea had to be not guilty, hence the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

"What can the do in an offical capacity".... Like the Sophie Toscan Du Plantier murder (& others) probably nothing.... we should be concerned about our own justice system also!!.....:(

• Advertisement

SocSocPol wrote: »
    So will you be withdrawing the "Monkeys" allegation?

The "monkeys" refers to the system not the nation. I have admitted when I was wrong previously and I will not be with drawing the statement. If you screw up an investigation on that scale, if you dig up a couples intimate moments, if run a trial like a sham and if spread pictures across a paper like a common tabloid .... well then ......

megafan wrote: »
    "What can the do in an offical capacity".... Like the Sophie Toscan Du Plantier murder (& others) probably nothing.... we should be concerned about our own justice system also!!.....:(

No one has been brought to trial for that yet. It would be best not to comment on it with a case pending as it is in the Irish jurisdiction.

No one has been brought to trial for that yet. It would be best not to comment on it with a case pending as it is in the Irish jurisdiction.
    There is NO case pending in the Irish Juristiction, at least according to the DPP, hence the decision to allow the French authorities access to the files.
    Glad you clarified the Monkey thing btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

It's vital not to jeopardise any future proceedings, as I've heard the first thing the DPP's office do when considering a case is to check After Hours to test the pulse of the nation.

Maaaaaaatlock!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

there is only one winner here. Thats the media. They can spin a story anyway they like, take anything out of context and neglect any facts they want.

Sad some one died, even worse when these keyboard heros come taking up a 'cause'... If her dad wasnt who he is, she would have been like the 100s of Irish before her who get a 200 word write up in The Sun.

RIP and godbless.

The rest of you in here who wanna be heros, were the Irish who were killed before not good enoug? Go back to recycling and cop on. Half of you didnt know where MRU was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I don't think an Irish boycott of Mauritius would have much of an impact on their tourism industry anyway.

there were an average of 5,000 visitors from ireland which has dropped to under a thousand since the murder, some mauritian tourist journilist guy on the radio was saying yesterday, not that big a deal but the exposure, although not huge, in Britain was of grave concern with 50 - 100 thousand visitors a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

realies wrote: »
    There are no direct flights to the island from Ireland, so there are no accurate departure figures to analyse. In 2010, the year before Mrs McAreavey death, 3,460 Irish citizens visited the island. The following year the number dipped significantly to 2,717. Information on the number of British passport holders arriving on the island published by the Mauritian authorities also shows a sizeable fall off last year compared to the 2010.

In the same period the number of French and German tourists increased. The popularity of Mauritius elsewhere around the world was also on the up.

So tourism then is not the be all and end all for Mauritius.

And Irish tourism certainly isn't. It accounts for a small fraction of the wider market.

For the first time Mauritius is forecast to attract more than one million visitors this year — up 3.1% on 2011.
    In the nine months following the Co Tyrone teacher’s death the number of European visitors rose by 1.5% in comparison with the same period in 2010.

More reading here http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=tourist%20numbers%20for%20 mauritius source=newssearch cd=1&ved=0CCkQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Flifestyle%2Fparadise-lost-200694.html&ei=BMcCUMyQAYS0hAf-oK2XCA&usg=AFQjCNHYAhFY7pZQgCK4bxxFYh8qi5fOgw

There are an estimated 3,000 Mauritians living in Ireland,wonder how there feeling seeing there Island being slandered because of a horrible crime that unfortunately can happen anywhere ?
    davet82 wrote: »
    there were an average of 5,000 visitors from ireland which has dropped to under a thousand since the murder, some mauritian tourist journilist guy on the radio was saying yesterday, not that big a deal but the exposure, although not huge, in Britain was of grave concern with 50 - 100 thousand visitors a year

For those who havent read the whole thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

realies wrote: »
    For those who havent read the whole thread.

alot of pages to go through to find that :D

anyways apparently Russia is their biggest market

its not a question of how many people wouldve seen those shows.

its the clout the organisers of those shows have in the mainstream media.

THATS why its a story as something has happend to "one of theirs".

as another guy pointed out just like with katey french.

and the media has gone completely over the top in its reaction to it. in fact id go so far to say its mass hysteria now.

its embaressing.

I have studied dozens of murder cases both in this jurisdiction and abroad and although having not been in the courtroom but reading the reports.. this would be the most sensational of them all..

Some of the evidence, the obvious bungling nature of the police investigation, the atmosphere in the courtroom throughout the first few weeks of the trail almost jovial in nature, the smearing of both michaela and john by defence counsel, the ultimate acquittal

all combined to make this a massive news story

the comparision with Katy French is ridiculous as that was concerned with the drugs culture in Ireland and how a young beautiful model could have been so wrapped up in it..

This girl got killed doing something any one of us could be doing..getting a biscuit in her room whilst on honeymoon and her killer/s have got away with it...that is why so many people empathise with her family and want to read about

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

the stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me. 12,000 likes for this facebook page, and many of the same illiterate comments and outrage. https://www.facebook.com/justiceformichaela

Justice for Michaela I have absolutely no issue with. It was a disgrace what happened, with the prosecution, the investigation and the farce that happened after. But this bullsh!te moral outrage and boycotting of their country makes me embarrassed. A whole load of knee jerking reaction by people who have absolutely no interest in ever going there.

Advertisement