Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

RTÉ still leading with this. Give it a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Change is coming and pressure is being applied!! The Mauritian government has issued an invitation to the Guards and the PSNI to see if they can shed any new light on it.

I can see a retrial on the cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Change is coming and pressure is being applied!! The Mauritian government has issued an invitation to the Guards and the PSNI to see if they can shed any new light on it.

I can see a retrial on the cards.

I don't see a retrial going ahead, after everything that has happened there is no possible way that an impartial jury can be found. I've seen a few people calling for any retrial to occur in Ireland which given the reaction on facebook and other sites would be an invitation for a public lynching of the accused.

New evidence may come to light? If its there the PSNI guys will find it. Dublin might not have that great an influence but London certainly has.

• Advertisement

A retrial would have to happen in a neutral 3rd country.

There can be a trial of the real killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

so...they say they didn't view them, however it seems these photographs from the crime scene are being emailed around the dail...

http://www.herald.ie/news/taoiseach-never-saw-michaela-photographs-it-was-my-mistake-admits-press-secretary-3172810.html

seems an extraoridary length to go to just to jump on a bandwagon

• Advertisement

so...they say they didn't view them, however it seems these photographs from the crime scene are being emailed around the dail...

http://www.herald.ie/news/taoiseach-never-saw-michaela-photographs-it-was-my-mistake-admits-press-secretary-3172810.html

seems an extraoridary length to go to just to jump on a bandwagon

I imagine that Kenny would wade through six foot of his own shite in order to try and appeal to the common man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Mr Purcell refused to say how he had obtained the images that have horrified the Harte and McAreavey families. "I'm not going into that," he said.

Why was he sent the images and why wont he say how he got them? I think he has made a big error here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

hondasam wrote: »
    Why was he sent the images and why wont he say how he got them? I think he has made a big error here.
    Totally agree, but that sums up the FG/lab idea of transparency.

He cant control what he was sent. I think he doesnt want to be drawn into a libel. A better question is what kind of sick person sends these things?

He cant control what he was sent. I think he doesnt want to be drawn into a libel. A better question is what kind of sick person sends these things?

Fair enough but why were they sent to him or did he ask for them.
    He should say where he got them, he has now dragged this country and the government into the whole sordid affair.

Fair enough but why were they sent to him or did he ask for them.
    He should say where he got them, he has now dragged this country and the government into the whole sordid affair.

There are image agencies that supply photos to people like Max Clifford and the Tabloids as a go between the photographer and the editors. Like the ones that traded the photos of Princess Diana. I dont know how anyone could handle those photos in good conscience

There are image agencies that supply photos to people like Max Clifford and the Tabloids as a go between the photographer and the editors. Like the ones that traded the photos of Princess Diana. I dont know how anyone could handle those photos in good conscience

Sad thing is there are lots of people who would love to have a look at them. If they were posted here majority of people would look at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

europa11 wrote: »

Apart from tinned fish and some fruit that I can recall coming from Mauritius, I'll be making sure none of my future purchases come from that island.

That's going to be very difficult to achieve. Mauritius produces 600,000 tonnes of sugar per year, most of which is supplied to the EU. So any product that contains sugar that is made in the EU is most likely made with sugar from Mauritius.

I really disagree with this "Boycott Mauritius" campaign. I feel very sorry for Michaela's family but boycotting the island is utterly ridiculous. We can't look to far in our own country without seeing incompetencies and injustice so who are we to be so self-righteous? The Mauritians are known to be genteel and the Island has a low crime rate and very little history of such grievous crimes as Michaela's murder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

That's going to be very difficult to achieve. Mauritius produces 600,000 tonnes of sugar per year, most of which is supplied to the EU. So any product that contains sugar that is made in the EU is most likely made with sugar from Mauritius.

I really disagree with this "Boycott Mauritius" campaign. I feel very sorry for Michaela's family but boycotting the island is utterly ridiculous. We can't look to far in our own country without seeing incompetencies and injustice so who are we to be so self-righteous? The Mauritians are known to be genteel and the Island has a low crime rate and very little history of such grievous crimes as Michaela's murder.

Can't thank this post enough. Amazing. When you think of how the Dunnes Stores strikers were demonised over boycotting SA goods... that's a real reason to boycott. I'm not saying the tragic murder is trivial in any way but it's not an all out conspiracy against Ireland and it's people, for crying out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

I think most boycotts are dumb, but this one takes the biscuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭vanillavanilla

Some of the comments on the "Boycott Mauritius" Facebook page (can't remember which one...) are downright racist but 2 stood out for me:

A lot of people posting on these pages must have gone over there and sat through the trial or have carried out their own investigations because they are completely convinced that the 2 accused are guilty. With this in mind, one person said they wanted to "break four legs" and another said they wanted them (the accused) to "drink acid". "They are guilty as hell" is another phrase that keeps cropping up. Do the people making these statements know something the judge and jury don't know? I was utterly gobsmacked at these outlandish comments.

Sometimes you'd be ashamed to say you are Irish. We have this reputation of being a nation of lovely, happy-go-lucky, top of the mornin' to ya people. The reactions to and comments about the two accused and the Mauritian people in general go against our stereotypical demeanour. Can we not stand back for a minute and try to look at these people as human beings like ourselves? Why wouldn't the two accuseds' wives and families be jubliant? Why wouldn't there have been celebration and a collective sigh of relief from that side of this sorry story? I have heard the locals being described as "animals" and "uncivilized". Yes, we are all sorry for Michaela's family, but everybody has loved ones and the two accused do to. How would we feel had it been our husband/brother/son/ in the same situation? Exactly.

Let's stop this ridiculous, racist and outlandish campaign. I'm sure I'll be lynched for saying it but "boycotting" a place like Mauritius is an easy bandwagon to jump on. Just how many of us could afford to go there these days anyway.

May Michaela rest in peace and may the culprit/s be found and brought to justice. That will be "Justice for Michaela", not boycotting the island where she met her end. Keep in mind too, the many MANY people who have lost their lives in tragic circumstances whose families have not yet had closure or justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

The "boycott Mauritius" stuff is kinda dumb, but I can kinda understand people's anger. The Mauritian media and judicial system are a joke and have completely trivialised this case and seem to regard it as entertainment. It makes me angry to think about myself.

That said, the island has very little history of this stuff, and you can't lock people up if there isn't enough evidence to prove they did anything. I don't know whether the two men did it, but I think the police have most definitely f*cked it up in some way. This is just all so terrible for her family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The "boycott Mauritius" stuff is kinda dumb, but I can kinda understand people's anger. The Mauritian media and judicial system are a joke and have completely trivialised this case and seem to regard it as entertainment.

And it hasn't been entertainment over here? We can pretend that we are more high brow about the whole thing but the fact is the Irish media played it like a soap opera with reporting that bordered on xenophobia at times. And the fallout that we have to deal with is small minded people who have had only a passing interest in the case are moronically calling for a boycott of the island or making outlandish claims about the husband's guilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Bubblegum18

Its terrible what has happened I cannot understand why the murder/murders couldn't be found, I mean the hotel can find out exactly who was there that day workers, guests there was cctv , security guards. Yet cctv that was completely irrelevant could be dragged up to try to incriminate her husband John. The police investigators in that country should all be ashamed of themselves. There are no excuses that case can still be solved if they would use their heads and common sense.
    God love the Harte and McAreavey families they have an awful cross to carry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Its terrible what has happened I cannot understand why the murder/murders couldn't be found, I mean the hotel can find out exactly who was there that day workers, guests there was cctv , security guards. Yet cctv that was completely irrelevant could be dragged up to try to incriminate her husband John. The police investigators in that country should all be ashamed of themselves. There are no excuses that case can still be solved if they would use their heads and common sense.
    God love the Harte and McAreavey families they have an awful cross to carry

Unless they have CCTV on the corridor outside her door then it can be very difficult.

Advertisement