Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

leahyl wrote: »
    I honestly don't think it was, he really seems like a genuine, nice guy (and I'm aware that I don't actually know the guy!) but when you compare it to the Rachel O' Reilly case for instance it was so obvious from the beginning that he did it. In this case, they seemed so happy and in love, I can't imagine him doing something like that - but then maybe I'm just very naive:o

Yes he does but even nice people are capable of crimes of passion.
    I don't think you are naive it's more my suspicious mind I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭newport2

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    hondasam wrote: »
    I think the only DNA found was her husbands.

Does make you wonder if thats what really happened. All very strange

If fairness, if your (I don't mean you personally, I mean any of us) other half was found dead tonight, then your DNA would be all over them too. Doesn't mean anything except you were recently in contact, which he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Very sad situation. I don't think I'd have passed a 'Guilty' vote if serving on that jury, some seriously unsavoury carry on by the police.

Curious to see will any internal investigations\reprimands\'early retirements' take place..

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭ohyesthefinest

Very sorry for Mickey, I'm a big GAA fan and the man really has no luck. I hope Tyrone win on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

From the rte report:

Does this mean people were cheering justice in support of the decision????

Seems strange behaviour considering that whoever is the real murderer has not been convicted.

Or were people chanting it demanding justice?

I followed the trial and have no idea if they did it. But as far as I am aware, you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they were the murderers and there seemed to be a whole lot of doubt if they were....

There didn't even have to be a unanimous decision. So strange that the verdict is not guilty. Can there even be a proper investigation? If this happened in Ireland or Europe there could be a higher court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

newport2 wrote: »
    If fairness, if your (I don't mean you personally, I mean any of us) other half was found dead tonight, then your DNA would be all over them too. Doesn't mean anything except you were recently in contact, which he was.

Most likely- the two hotel workers did it but the case against them wasnt strong enough for a conviction

Less likely- Either the husband or another party did it,both scenarios very possible. but Who knows, guess we may never know now. A really awful thing what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Show Time wrote: »
    I was right.

An island of savages which can sink into the ocean with luck.

The ignorance is strong in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

paddyh117 wrote: »
    It's not CSI Mauritius!! the local police are clearly incompetent, that explains practically everything!

you think? As I say, there could be more than meets the eye here. Not as simple as all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Heartbroken for the family, really awful considering what they've gone through.

Having said that, I always would have had a niggling feeling had they been found guilty-there just wasn't enough of a proper investigation done at the time of the murder to secure a good case.

My heart goes out to John and the Harte family.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Very sad for her husband and family.

However given all that we have heard about the way the legal proceeding played out I do not think anyone expected the 2 of them to be convicted.

They do not want the tourism being affected etc

Personally I believe they had been stealing from guest for years and this time they were caught, they paniced and killed her. Easy to get rid of DNA by dumping somebody in water. No DNA at all might indicate they wiped the room down also.

Anyway as someone said this is not CSI & people have become too reliant on DNA evidence it to convict guilty parties. Even cops, lawyers etc the world over are dismayed at the so called "CSI-effect".
    I say they got the right guys but which one of them actually killed her and which helped and was complicit could not be proved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hondasam wrote: »
    Yes he does but even nice people are capable of crimes of passion.
    I don't think you are naive it's more my suspicious mind I think.
    The only thing which makes me think it wasn't him losing the plot is his actions afterwards. People are rarely quite so calm and collected about their movements after such a thing happens. I would expect most people to panic and call a doctor or run.
    If he killed her in a rage, then he left the room and went back to the pool before then enlisting the help of hotel staff to get back into the room again and faking the discovery of her body.

He also then held up under police interrogation and cross-examination.

Maybe it's the optimist in me, but I don't think anyone who murdered their wife (who they presumably loved) in a rage would manage to maintain the "grieving husband" facade for very long.

Very sorry for Mickey, I'm a big GAA fan and the man really has no luck. I hope Tyrone win on Saturday.

I'd imagine it'd be somewhat of a hollow victory for him given the week that's in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

libra02 wrote: »
    Personally I believe they had been stealing from guest for years and this time they were caught, they paniced and killed her. Easy to get rid of DNA by dumping somebody in water. No DNA at all might indicate they wiped the room down also.

Their DNA was all over the room but this didn't prove anything since the police allowed them into the room after the body was discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Big blow to their image in any case. Murderers still at large and possibly still employed in a hotel somewhere on the island. I wouldn't be in much of a hurry to visit the place after this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Kathnora

Wasn't there a story in the media about two other hotel workers who disappeared the day after the murder and haven't been seen since?. Think one of them was supposed to have gone to somewhere like Dubai. Does that not sound suspicious?

It is very difficult on the family but I don't think they would want to see the wrong people go to jail either...that would be hard to live with too.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Sad story and my heart goes out to the family of michaela

Is it not true that both men signed confessions in front of their solicitors!!then a year later are found not guilty because fancy barristers can put doubt in the mind of the jury, badly trained police officers on a holiday island did not help the case though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Will the lads get their jobs back now?

I presume they were suspended at least during this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

what a sad and sorry business from start to finish. so sorry for michaela, her husband and family.

i dont believe her husband had anything to do with it. I also dont believe that the defendants were guility.

my own opinion is that it was either someone higher up in the hotel or an opportunistic thief who infilitrated the resort. i dont think murder was the original intention, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. the mauritians didnt want to scare off anymore holiday makers or cause a panic and needed someone to take the fall.

either way, her family have no closure and i feel very sorry for them.

libra02 wrote: »
    They do not want the tourism being affected etc

Personally I'd be far more put off going there now than if they'd found the culprits.

Violent murders happen in every corner of the globe, one murder would never put me off going somewhere (hell, i'm going to chicago later in the year!!!)

However, the lack of respect shown to Michaela's family throughout has shocked me and sickened me. I can't get over the behaviour of the public gallery and prosecution team, and the judge letting them away with it.

That doesn't make me want to visit Mauritius any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don't reall hearing of a single piece of decent evidence that those 2 guys did it.

It's the only verdict that could be reached!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Terrible ordeal for the family. This is awful.

The jury's order is to only return a guilty verdict unless it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt. It is unfortunate but they obviously weren't 100% sure.

My prayers go out to the Harte family and John McAreavey.

The whole thing was a farce tbh it is sad to say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Personally I'd be far more put off going there now than if they'd found the culprits.

Violent murders happen in every corner of the globe, one murder would never put me off going somewhere (hell, i'm going to chicago later in the year!!!)

However, the lack of respect shown to Michaela's family throughout has shocked me and sickened me. I can't get over the behaviour of the public gallery and prosecution team, and the judge letting them away with it.

That doesn't make me want to visit Mauritius any time soon.

Agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mylastparadigm

paddyh117 wrote: »
    It's not CSI Mauritius!! the local police are clearly incompetent, that explains practically everything!

i would agree that the fault here lies with the authorities. the next question is whether it was incompetence or malice.

in my (worthless) opinion, it probably was a combination of the two guys but the po-lice made a hames of it.

but even then, why kill someone who saw you robbing their stuff. jees, does no one read crime and punishment anymore?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

This is a sad day for all her family. I do think that in their quest to look good on the international stage that the police there were very rash and this is the result. Sad though it is I'm not sure that they had arrested the right people and in that instance I think it's preferable that the verdict is not guilty. The police there have an awful lot to answer for - totally incompetent shower of gobsh*tes if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,392 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Its funny, I suspect a great many of us have a suspicion that the men are guilty yet we all have to respect the process.

I won't be going near that Island though, not ever. Someone made a rather glib comment about bankers in Ireland but I don't worry about being murdered in my own hotel room and then worry about the lack of professionalism of those in the police force who investigate the murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Well thats the Mauritius tourist industry ****ed for the next 6 months to a year. Once the defence lawyers started making stuff up off the top of their heads to amuse the jury there was never going to be a conviction. They and the incompetent police make the whole island look like a lawless criminal paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am not surprised. It sounded like a witch hunt by the police. There is an important lesson here.

The police tried to convict these under pressure. Its clear that is the case. Does it remind you of a famous case in the uk around birmingham?

Anyone traveling to places this far need to realise the rules and law of the country. Recent press reports had her husband the main suspect when its clear this could not be.

For the record and listening to the case i dont know weather or not the men are guility but the case handleing was so wrong they sould have never been convicted

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I don't know whether to be more shocked that the verdict is Not Guilty or that this decision was made unanimously.

It goes without saying the jury were probably privy to far more than we are but still.

I do have respect for the idea of a fair trial though and I'm sure the jury reached that verdict honestly and in good faith.

So sad for the Hartes and McAreavey though.

RIP Michaela.

touts wrote: »
    Well thats the Mauritius tourist industry ****ed for the next 6 months to a year. Once the defence lawyers started making stuff up off the top of their heads to amuse the jury there was never going to be a conviction. They and the incompetent police make the whole island look like a lawless criminal paradise.

That's the thing- making out like they were mad for their auto-asphyxiation stuff, when she just had a magazine insert from cosmo, talking in-depth about the fact that she had her time of the month, like for fúcks sake give the girl some dignity.

I'm so bloody upset by this whole thing, it's the most a murder in the media has ever affected me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Sorry to hear this news, although I'm sure the family will agree in time it is better than innocent peoples lives being ruined.

Advertisement