Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I read somewhere recently, and it was probably to do with the du Plantier case, that French law is different to most countries in that they can investigate crimes against any French citizen no matter where in the world it happens. I'd assume this is not a part of Irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I read somewhere recently, and it was probably to do with the du Plantier case, that French law is different to most countries in that they can investigate crimes against any French citizen no matter where in the world it happens. I'd assume this is not a part of Irish law.

France have a Civil Law legal system. Ireland is Common Law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

I would still feel safe visiting there. However, the rte report that there were throngs of crowds cheering outside is somewhat disturbing to me. Regardless of whether those guys are innocent, someone out there did murder her. And he or she has not been punished for it. So I think it is distasteful for the public to be cheering this way.

I remember the Manela Riedo murder in Galway. I was ashamed to be from Galway where a crime like that occurred. If there was a court case where the accused was not found guilty, I would certainly not have been standing outside the court cheering.

Cheering is for joyful occassions. This is not one.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

cue moral outrage from idiots who would've been satisfied to see these guys found guilty without any real evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

LordSmeg wrote: »
    You said they would fall over themselves at the thought of the Irish state seeking justice for the murder of Michaela.

No, the du Plantier's would be falling over themselves at the thought of the Irish state telling someone else their police force is incompetent and they should investigate this thing properly
    LordSmeg wrote: »
    What happened in that case or how the Du Plantier family feel about it is no basis to not try to find justice for Michaela's family.

I didn't say it was!

I agree wth Seamus.

"we can't pressurise the Mauritian government into convicting someone for this crime. All we can do is ask them to keep looking at it".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Boognish wrote: »
    cue moral outrage from idiots who would've been satisfied to see these guys found guilty without any real evidence

cue idiot that didnt read any posts in the thread :P

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

I would still feel safe visiting there. However, the rte report that there were throngs of crowds cheering outside is somewhat disturbing to me. Regardless of whether those guys are innocent, someone out there did murder her. And he or she has not been punished for it. So I think it is distasteful for the public to be cheering this way.

I remember the Manela Riedo murder in Galway. I was ashamed to be from Galway where a crime like that occurred. If there was a court case where the accused was not found guilty, I would certainly not have been standing outside the court cheering.

Gerald Barry was guilty of the murder of Manuel Riedo and there was loads of evidence DNA and otherwise to convict him.

There was absolutely no evidence apart from a coerced confession to convict the two men in question in this case.

This is a joyful occasion for the family of two men who were quickly charged and beaten for a murder that there was no evidence they had committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I haven't followed this as close as others have so I won't comment on the verdict, but my heart goes out to her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

had any of the two accused a prior record, of stealing from guestrooms or other convictions

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

What about the cheering and celebrating when the Birmingham Six were released ... still meant that a bunch of people had been brutally murdered in a Birmingham pub, so nobody should have been relieved and celebratory at the clearing of the innocent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

goat2 wrote: »
    had any of the two accused a prior record, of stealing from guestrooms or other convictions

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're calling that pantomime a fair trial???
    A fair trial is effectively defined as "a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his rights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him".
    The "independent and impartial tribunal" is the judge and the jury. The defence and the prosecution can dance around in clown suits for all they want (subject to the rules of conduct of the court).

The incompetence of the legal professionals in a trial do not make it unfair. It's only unfair if there is clear biaise shown for or against the defendent(s), which I don't think we can say there was in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Claire Dwane

What a joke, clearly the husband didnt do it so who else did, what a miscarriage of justice. Feel for John and Michaelas family x x x

was there mention of robberies in the hotel prior to this incident?

Gerald Barry was guilty of the murder of Manuel Riedo and there was loads of evidence DNA and otherwise to convict him.

There was absolutely no evidence apart from a coerced confession to convict the two men in question in this case.

This is a joyful occasion for the family of two men who were quickly charged and beaten for a murder that there was no evidence they had committed.

You misinterpreted my point. I am not saying they were guilty. Maybe they were, maybe not. None of us know.

But I do not believe it is the time to be jumping around cheering. I stand by my point that a murder case cannot be considered a joyful occassion.

I just find it terribly insensitive of people to treat these guys as heroes now. [it would be different if the murderer has been caught but they have not been...]. I feel sorry for the accused if they are innocent but it's no reason for a party.

davet82 wrote: »
    cue idiot that didnt read any posts in the thread :P

i did read some of the posts in this thread

drumm23 wrote: »
    What about the cheering and celebrating when the Birmingham Six were released ... still meant that a bunch of people had been brutally murdered in a Birmingham pub, so nobody should have been relieved and celebratory at the clearing of the innocent?

That is different.

In that case, the people who did the crime had been caught and admitted the crime. Justice [as much as could be done] had been achieved for those victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

looks to me like the two men were being stitched up, still a shock for all involved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

What I don't get is I thought the hotel's electronic card system proved the two men had entered the hotel room minutes before she died.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

You misinterpreted my point. I am not saying they were guilty. Maybe they were, maybe not. None of us know.

But I do not believe it is the time to be jumping around cheering. I stand by my point that a murder case cannot be considered a joyful occassion.

I just find it terribly insensitive of people to treat these guys as heroes now. [it would be different if the murderer has been caught but they have not been...]. I feel sorry for the accused if they are innocent but it's no reason for a party.

I understand your point and believe you are wrong.

These men have been locked up for something that there was no evidence they had done. They and their family are entitled to celebrate their freedom. Life goes on.

Someone quoted the Birmingham Six and how people cheered when they were released , was it insensitive to cheer their release?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

WTF?

Who killed her then? Load of sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

What I don't get is I thought the hotel's electronic card system proved the two men had entered the hotel room minutes before she died.
    did they not claim they just cleaned the room before she arrived to get her biscuits?

chopser wrote: »

These men have been locked up for something that there was no evidence they had done. They and their family are entitled to celebrate their freedom. Life goes on.

Someone quoted the Birmingham Six and how people cheered when they were released , was it insensitive to cheer their release?

well yeah, their family and friends should've immediately covered their faces with their hands to hide the slightest trace of emotion

could've been construed as being offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Were the two lads on the rob ?- more than likely....the room card thing proves they were a little creative with their whereabouts even before the murder was reported. That just means they're similar to some other staff in some other honeymoon resorts everywhere on the planet.
    Did the husband do it ? - no. The only thing the cops got right was suspecting him immediately and proving without a doubt that he was elsewhere and therefore innocent.
    Did the the pair do it ? - not beyond a reasonable doubt. That was the question posed to the jury.
    Did the cops **** up ? - yes. The trail has gone ice cold now. Unless Mauritius has a serial killer, we'll never know.

chopser wrote: »

Comparing this with the Birmingham 6 is just crazy. They are not comparable. The people responsible for Birmingham served their time and justice was achieved.

My original point was more related to the "throngs of people" cheering rather than the 2 guys themselves. I just cant imagine the same happening here. Would you be outside cheering them on? Most of those people must be as clueless as us regarding the innocence or guilt of the two accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

It only proved that someone entered the room using those keycards at a specific time.
    AFAIK did the hotel not withhold this crucial information for a direct period after the incident? This was vital time in the investigation whereby unwanted issues could have been ereased? The whole investigation by accounts was a farce from the outset. Tommy Gorman has now reported that the MCIT (Police) were known not to be the most competent of forces in this regard. He could not say it till now after the verdict in fairness.
    I think this is not the end of the whole sorry affair legally, for parties on both sides..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

davet82 wrote: »
    should be a boycott of these islands until the McAreaveys get justice, either get the right people or do their jobs!

Good job the German media didn't adopt the same attitude about Ireland after a young German tourist was murdered and another left for dead by several Dublin scumbags in the Phoenix Park in 1991.

The survivor identified one of the suspects in a line-up, but his trial collapsed after a few minutes because:

1. The Gardai had had only six men in the line-up, when there are supposed to be eight. You'd think the yobs could count to eight; after all, they have that many fingers plus the thumbs.:rolleyes:

2. The Gardai had interrogated the suspect without a break for longer than the guidelines allow and had not allowed him to shave or spruce himself up before putting him in the line-up. It beggars belief that they didn't see that the defence counsel would immediately pounce on that, as is his right, and the testimony of the witness who identified the accused as the principal assailant was ruled inadmissible.

Far too often, they seem to think that bully boy tactics are more effective than slowly, slowly catchey monkey.:rolleyes:

So don't let's get too self-righteous about that joke of a police force in Mauritius and their brutality.:(

I really feel for the Harte and McAreavey families, but convicting the wrong people could hardly mean closure for them, either. The fact is, we just don't know whether a grave miscarriage of justice has been avoided or two murderers have gotten away with it. Let's hope the truth eventually emerges.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Someone mentioned that there was 2 other hotel workers who disappeared from Mauritis the day after the murder.

Anyone got a link about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Keno 92 wrote: »
    The ignorance is strong in this one.

The lads got away with murder because the cops fcuked up royally and they need to protect the one thing the island is good for which is fleecing people on holidays. Now they have a free hand to murder the tourist as well thanks to the events of today.

So yep it makes it an island full of savages in my book.

• Advertisement

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Good job the German media didn't adopt the same attitude about Ireland after a young German tourist was murdered and another left for dead by several Dublin scumbags in the Phoenix Park in 1991.

The survivor identified one of the suspects in a line-up, but his trial collapsed after a few minutes because:

1. The Gardai had had only six men in the line-up, when there are supposed to be eight. You'd think the yobs could count to eight; after all, they have that many fingers plus the thumbs.:rolleyes:

2. The Gardai had interrogated the suspect without a break for longer than the guidelines allow and had not allowed him to shave or spruce himself up before putting him in the line-up. It beggars belief that they didn't see that the defence counsel would immediately pounce on that, as is his right, and the testimony of the witness who identified the accused as the principal assailant was ruled inadmissible.

Far too often, they seem to think that bully boy tactics are more effective than slowly, slowly catchey monkey.:rolleyes:

So don't let's get too self-righteous about that joke of a police force in Mauritius and their brutality.:(

I really feel for the Harte and McAreavey families, but convicting the wrong people could hardly mean closure for them, either. The fact is, we just don't know whether a grave miscarriage of justice has been avoided or two murderers have gotten away with it. Let's hope the truth eventually emerges.:cool:

great post and that but i admitted the error or my ways somewhere around page 7...

sorry :)

Advertisement