Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

There was a third man accused with them who later became a witness why was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

That is different.

In that case, the people who did the crime had been caught and admitted the crime.

You what?
    They were freed on the failure of the forensic evidence to stand up to any sort of rigorous critique along with -importantly when discussing the McAreavey trial- the complete corruption of the investigating Police squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Boognish

Show Time wrote: »
    The lads got away with murder because the cops fcuked up royally and they need to protect the one thing the island is good for which is fleecing people on holidays. Now they have a free hand to murder the tourist as well thanks to the events of today.

So yep it makes it an island full of savages in my book.

brought to you by a daily mail subscriber

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

Stupid thing to say! Generalising ..... Sweeping statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 waterdale35

Bart Simpson may as well been arrested as well there so corrupt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

davet82 wrote: »
    should be a boycott of these islands until the McAreaveys get justice, either get the right people or do their jobs!

It's a ****ing country. It isn't a playground for Western tourists.

These things happen everywhere.

Show Time wrote: »
    The lads got away with murder because the cops fcuked up royally and they need to protect the one thing the island is good for which is fleecing people on holidays. Now they have a free hand to murder the tourist as well thanks to the events of today.

So yep it makes it an island full of savages in my book.

:D
    Follow the trial much?

Nah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I think one of the hotel workers did it, and the other didn't do anything, and there is no evidence to determine which one did it of the two.

Who else could it have been? What motive would anyone else have.

Only motives seem to be: hotel workers caught on the rob, panicked, tried to stop her screaming, didn't mean to kill her.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

casio4 wrote: »
    There was a third man accused with them who later became a witness why was that?

They offered him immunity from prosecution if he testified against the two men.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

even if the 2 locals were technically innocent it would have been nice for the Harte's to get closure with a guilty verdict

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

okedoke wrote: »
    even if the 2 locals were technically innocent it would have been nice for the Harte's to get closure with a guilty verdict

What? you think they should convict someone just to make a family happy?
    No family would want this.

edit, maybe I'm reading that wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Are you suggesting that they should have been found guilty regardless of the lack of evidence against them? If were a member of the family I wouldn't see the conviction of two innocent men as closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Good job the German media didn't adopt the same attitude about Ireland after a young German tourist was murdered and another left for dead by several Dublin scumbags in the Phoenix Park in 1991.

The survivor identified one of the suspects in a line-up, but his trial collapsed after a few minutes because:

1. The Gardai had had only six men in the line-up, when there are supposed to be eight. You'd think the yobs could count to eight; after all, they have that many fingers plus the thumbs.:rolleyes:

2. The Gardai had interrogated the suspect without a break for longer than the guidelines allow and had not allowed him to shave or spruce himself up before putting him in the line-up. It beggars belief that they didn't see that the defence counsel would immediately pounce on that, as is his right, and the testimony of the witness who identified the accused as the principal assailant was ruled inadmissible.

Far too often, they seem to think that bully boy tactics are more effective than slowly, slowly catchey monkey.:rolleyes:

So don't let's get too self-righteous about that joke of a police force in Mauritius and their brutality.:(

I really feel for the Harte and McAreavey families, but convicting the wrong people could hardly mean closure for them, either. The fact is, we just don't know whether a grave miscarriage of justice has been avoided or two murderers have gotten away with it. Let's hope the truth eventually emerges.:cool:
    #

Was that the one where they dropped a concrete block on yer mans head when he was asleep?

"technically innocent"....

:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Ah you're right, the people of Guildford and Birmingham would rest easier tonight with those ten paddies still under lock and key. Hope you never get into a position of power in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

And put two innocent men in prison?! How can you justify that?!!

If you were in the Harte's situation you would look at it differently - you would want someone to be punished

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

That is different.

In that case, the people who did the crime had been caught and admitted the crime. Justice [as much as could be done] had been achieved for those victims.

That is not true

No other people were ever convicted of the Birmingham bombings.

As recently as this past April, one of the six, Paddy Hill, was still campaigning for justice and the convictions of those responsible (who he claims are known to himself and authoraties)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/10207331

If you were in the Harte's situation you would look at it differently - you would want someone to be punished

Yes, the guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Yes but not an innocent person just to make themselves feel better.
    I would want the guilty person punished and would do what ever I could to make it happen.

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    That is not true

No other people were ever convicted of the Birmingham bombings.

He didn't say they were convicted. He said they were caught and admitted the bombings, which is true. It was the Balcombe street lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

Nodin wrote: »
    Yes, the guilty.

+1

"even if the 2 locals were technically innocent it would have been nice for the Harte's to get closure with a guilty verdict"

disgusting comment

shouldn't be surprised though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

The media will go into 'evil, morally bankrupt foreigners' mode now, no doubt.

We're not in their position and I doubt anybody decent would want to see the innocent punished for a heinous crime.
    I'd be sick to my back teeth of the keystone cops and a shoddy trial that was allowed turn into a circus.

Yes, the guilty.

Sometimes the guilty can't be found and you make do with what's in front of you.

nevermind, you trolled me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Not about throwing stones, you cant ignore something like this on the basis we fcuked up in the past, the French state and police didnt throw their hands up and keep their mouths shut with that mess and we shouldnt do it with this.

It has to be dealt with as an isolated incident and looked at with the view of what the Irish state can do to get justice for the murder of an Irish citizen.

Oh, it assuredly was a monumental mess - as was the du Plantier case - and I'm not suggesting we ignore it or sweep it under the carpet.

But, it happens. I wouldn't advise against travelling to Mauritius any more than I'd advise against travelling to Ireland, based on these investigations/court cases.

Sometimes the guilty can't be found and you make do with what's in front of you.

Troll alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

He didn't say they were convicted. He said they were caught and admitted the bombings, which is true. It was the Balcombe street lot.

He also said justice had been done as much as it could have been!

Althought I thought the Balcombe Street Gang admitted responsibility for the Guilford bombings - Not Birmingham?

Advertisement