Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

okedoke wrote: »
    Sometimes the guilty can't be found and you make do with what's in front of you.

Which is,of course, bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

How horrible for the families involved - the investigation and trial seemed to be a total circus.

- Heard Pat Kenny earlier on RTE radio referring to the conclusion of the trial as the "endgame" - That garden stealing, insufferable arséhole so, so badly needs a head-butt......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

How would the two lads DNA be on her when she was found in a bath with the water running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

How would the two lads DNA be on her when she was found in a bath with the water running.

You would imagine there would be some trace of DNA, it all happened so quickly it's not like they had time to get rid of DNA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

hondasam wrote: »
    You would imagine there would be some trace of DNA, it all happened so quickly it's not like they had time to get rid of DNA.

Would the water not have washed it off though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Would normal tap water be sufficient in removing all traces of DNA?

Dunno, would there not be some traces left, it's not like they had loads of time to clean the body.
    I think this case will be similar to maddie mccann case until it's solved. There will always be some doubt in some people's minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Just saw the younger hotel worker who was accused talking on the news now. Im a good judge of people and body language and i can say I dont like him,. He seemed quite arrogant and ingenuous to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dice75

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Just saw the younger hotel worker who was accused talking on the news now. Im a good judge of people and body language and i can say I dont like him,. He seemed quite arrogant and ingenuous to me.

Agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Some people are utter gobsh!tes who watch too much CSI, there isn't DNA on bloody everything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Dice75 wrote: »
    Agree

The way he said 'I didnt Kill that lady' wasnt said with the conviction of someone telling the truth. He pointed his finger in a different direction as he spoke. Similiar to when Bill Clinton did when he said 'I didnt not have sexual relations with that lady''. Theres a documentary on youtube about that, check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

At least the Irish Times are cashing in on it - their bloody Ads are running back to back on the radio plugging their coverage of the trial in Friday's and Saturday's editions of their paper rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Nodin wrote: »
    #

Was that the one where they dropped a concrete block on yer mans head when he was asleep?

I don't recall all the details. Except that one of the scumbags involved was quickly caught and fingered the others, including the main assailant. The second German victim had been left for dead, but recovered against all the odds and was able to identify the main accused.

It was a textbook example of Garda incompetence and I remember reading that the German Ambassador was in court for the few minutes that the trial lasted and left "tight-lipped". It's a wonder we ever got any German tourists after that.

Here's a link:

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/08/world/violent-crime-in-dublin-shakes-the-city-s-serenity.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

R.I.P. Michaela.

Terrible story, she didn't murder herself, someone within the hotel with access to that room murdered her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

more was made out of the alleged 'police brutatlity',than the actual murder of micheala,and what a pity that has been,yes its been a media frenzy and a circus from day one.thats half the problem right there.i cant imagine how horrific and nightmarish it must be for the widowed spouse of micheala,its just an awful living nightmare,can you imagine what a kick in the teeth it must have been for him to hear a raptourous welcome for the defendants when they were let off?
    that said though who knows maybe they were innocent?!

my thoughts on it though: i think they murdered them because micheala would have recognised them and reported them,so the strangled her on that alone..

evidence aswell was given to a lab in the UK and it pointed towards the defendants,however the lawyers argued that there was police brutality and bad handling of evidence..so they got off in my mind,but who knows i could be wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I am glad the Courts system is based on real evidence rather than body language and opinions based on first impressions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I don't recall all the details. Except that one of the scumbags involved was quickly caught and fingered the others, including the main assailant. The second German victim had been left for dead, but recovered against all the odds and was able to identify the main accused.

It was a textbook example of Garda incompetence and I remember reading that the German Ambassador was in court for the few minutes that the trial lasted and left "tight-lipped". It's a wonder we ever got any German tourists after that.

Here's a link:

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/08/world/violent-crime-in-dublin-shakes-the-city-s-serenity.html

Thats it. They bashed his head in when he was asleep.
    The apparent murder of a 26-year-old German man in a tent in the Phoenix Park came two days after the announcement that crimes against tourists were down on previous years in the Dublin area. The man and a companion were asleep in their tent when they were set upon by up to four men who beat them with clubs. The dead man suffered severe head injuries. His companion feigned unconsciousness and was tied up. He was admitted to hospital after raising the alarm. This crime has shocked public opinion here and there were many calls to the German embassy in the aftermath.
    http://www.emigrant.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36980

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Good point, well made. Lock the ingenuous bugger up.
    (Can you even be arrogant and ingenuous?)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

my thoughts on it though: i think they murdered them because micheala would have recognised them and reported them,so the strangled her on that alone..

Poirot steps up to the plate.
    evidence aswell was given to a lab in the UK and it pointed towards the defendants

This is entirely untrue, but don't sweat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I never thought that they would be convicted given the evidence. I thought the whole thing was a sham- trying to sort everything quickly to restore Mauritius's image.

My sympathies remain with the McAreavey and Harte families but I believe the verdict was the correct one.

• Advertisement

evidence aswell was given to a lab in the UK and it pointed towards the defendants,however the lawyers argued that there was police brutality and bad handling of evidence..so they got off in my mind,but who knows i could be wrong..

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dna%20evidence%20michaela&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.ie%2Fnational-news%2Fmichaela-murder-trial-no-dna-from-accused-found-at-murder-scene-or-on-her-body-3120202.html&ei=8RP_T7jdAseDhQfuysHTCw&usg=AFQjCNHwJQZ54rkp-G17645gCHc_Wkf1JQ

You are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Terrible news for the families, but how uneasy it must feel now for guests in that hotel tonight, knowing that some of the staff work as a team to steal from guests and there are workers there who are killers. (Unless hes the witness that left to work on a cruise ship or was cunning enough to go police witness).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

How do you we know anything we were told about the case so far is true?
    The case against these two guys seems shot full of holes.
    Maybe the really did do it but they are innocent until proven guilty and the jury threw the case back at the prosecution after two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

chopser wrote: »
    Gerald Barry was guilty of the murder of Manuel Riedo and there was loads of evidence DNA and otherwise to convict him.

There was absolutely no evidence apart from a coerced confession to convict the two men in question in this case.

This is a joyful occasion for the family of two men who were quickly charged and beaten for a murder that there was no evidence they had committed.

must be quite a large family they have cheering.
    they entered the room minutes before she was murdered, they confessed - what were they doing? changing the bed sheets?
    several doctors found no evidence of them been beaten.
    this dna evidence was poorly gathered as the UK professor said.

Terrible news for the families, but how uneasy it must feel now for guests in that hotel tonight, knowing that some of the staff work as a team to steal from guests and there are workers there who are killers. (Unless hes the witness that left to work on a cruise ship or was cunning enough to go police witness).

The two guys on trial were not found guilty.
    You don't know enough nor do I to say any of those things.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Disgraceful.

I hope the accused, defence, and judge and jury sleep soundly tonight.

Justice me hole.

The defendents were not proven guilty.

VEN wrote: »
    must be quite a large family they have cheering.
    they entered the room minutes before she was murdered, they confessed - what were they doing? changing the bed sheets?
    several doctors found no evidence of them been beaten.
    this dna evidence was poorly gathered as the UK professor said.

The defendents could only be convicted if the prosecution case was proven beyond all reasonable doubt.
    End of.
    So as far as we can say, yes, they were changing the bed sheets or whatever.

leahyl wrote: »
    I honestly don't think it was, he really seems like a genuine, nice guy (and I'm aware that I don't actually know the guy!) but when you compare it to the Rachel O' Reilly case for instance it was so obvious from the beginning that he did it. In this case, they seemed so happy and in love, I can't imagine him doing something like that - but then maybe I'm just very naive:o

Who knows? A killer could come across as the nicest person in the world.
    The killer could have been anyone because we now know the police did a rubbish investigation. How do we know what clues they overlooked? For all we know it could have been the world and its mother who could have killed Michaela.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

RTE 1 have changed their programmes a look at the trial is on at 10.15 tonight instead of the mentalist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

But I do not believe it is the time to be jumping around cheering. I stand by my point that a murder case cannot be considered a joyful occassion.

I just find it terribly insensitive of people to treat these guys as heroes now. [it would be different if the murderer has been caught but they have not been...]. I feel sorry for the accused if they are innocent but it's no reason for a party.

i fully agree. i'd expect nothing less, part of their 'culture' maybe? who knows

Advertisement