Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaela McAreavey trial accused 'not guilty'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Just saw the younger hotel worker who was accused talking on the news now. Im a good judge of people and body language and i can say I dont like him,. He seemed quite arrogant and ingenuous to me.

That has to be one of the stupidest posts I've ever read. If you're that much of a natural detective, what are you doing posting on boards? Is there not unsolved crime out there you could be occupying yourself with?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

VEN wrote: »
    i fully agree. i'd expect nothing less, part of their 'culture' maybe? who knows

It happens in courtrooms all over the world including Ireland. Emotions can be hard to control for the accused and their families.

It happens in courtrooms all over the world including Ireland. Emotions can be hard to control for the accused and their families.

I'd be inclined to agree. If a family member of mine was found not guilty of a crime he denies emotions would be very hard to control. It's not a rational situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

tigger123 wrote: »
    That has to be one of the stupidest posts I've ever read. If you're that much of a natural detective, what are you doing posting on boards? Is there not unsolved crime out there you could be occupying yourself with?

he's only saying he doesn't like him as he came across arrogant.
    i don't like him either cos he did come across arrogant.
    i don't like arrogant people.

i think we're talking about the crowds outside here, not the families. unless of course as i've mentioned earlier, they have a rather large family?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

VEN wrote: »
    he's only saying he doesn't like him as he came across arrogant.
    i don't like him either cos he did come across arrogant.
    i don't like arrogant people.

Arrogance isn't a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I remember thinking the very same thing when I seen Ian Huntley on the news the evening Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman went missing.
    We all get our own suspicions when we watch someone talk so I don't think it was a stupid post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

hondasam wrote: »
    I remember thinking the very same thing when I seen Ian Huntley on the news the evening Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman went missing.
    We all get our own suspicions when we watch someone talk so I don't think it was a stupid post.

Huntley wasn't convicted on what he looked like.
    He was convicted on evidence which proved his guilt beyong reasonable doubt.
    Not liking the look of someone is not an investigation technique.

snafuk35 wrote: »
    Huntley wasn't convicted on what he looked like.
    He was convicted on evidence which proved his guilt beyong reasonable doubt.
    Not liking the look of someone is not an investigation technique.

Where did I say he was?

we are talking about gut instinct as it happens, sometimes it's right.

How many people have said they thought Joe O Reilly was guilty after seeing him on the late late show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

You can say "sometimes right" about a lot of things. And confirmation bias does a lot of the work to demonstrate that.

• Advertisement

Where did I say he was?

we are talking about gut instinct as it happens, sometimes it's right.

How many people have said they thought Joe O Reilly was guilty after seeing him on the late late show.

In this instance the gut instinct of someone sitting on a couch, watching a four or five second snippet of television, then posting on an internet forum.

snafuk35 wrote: »
    Arrogance isn't a crime.

:rolleyes: ah here, and did Fentdog84 say he definitely did it! after his comment? he was passing a remark on the accused stance

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

In this instance the gut instinct of someone sitting on a couch, watching a four or five second snippet of television, then posting on an internet forum.

Its more than just about what a person says. Its about facial expressions, gestures, tone of voice, posture. Suggest you look at this video.

The difference is this man was subjected to an eight week trial and found to be innocent in a court of law. Suspicions arose over Huntley and O'Reilly from their media appearances before they were even charged with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Piste wrote: »
    To be honest, it would be better that the family be devastated and two innocent men walk free than the family sleep soundly and two innocent men serve a prison sentence. (This is of course based on accepting the "not guilty" verdict was the correct one).

ya, there is no guarantee that the verdict is correct, given the farce that this whole thing became.

sad story, shocking trial. what a whole shambles of an affair. the police every one of them, should be f*cked into the indian ocean.

i for one, will never set foot on that island after having plans to go there for holidays and i hope the people of ireland do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

A HORRIBLE COWARDLY MURDER OF A BEAUTIFUL INNOCENT WOMAN
    A SHAMBOLIC TRIAL OF EPIC PROPORTION
    TWO MURDERERS WALKING FREE
    I FEEL DEVESTATED FOR JOHN MCAREAVEY

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Murdering scum the two of them AND their lawyers deserve to be at the end of along rope

i for one, will never set foot on that island after having plans to go there for holidays and i hope the people of ireland do the same.

Our government should speak up and try get justice for her.
    I'm not sure Irish people boycotting the island will be noticed tbh.

Murdering scum the two of them AND their lawyers deserve to be at the end of along rope

Why? That's what a defense lawyer does, everybody is entitled to a defense. Its up to the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt and the evidence in this case was not sufficient for them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I feel sorry for Mickey Harte having to face a probable media circus at Dr. Hyde Park tomorrow afternoon.

Dunno how I'd get out of bed tomorrow morning if I were him.

Edit. Saturday at Dr. Hyde. Dunno why I keep thinking today is Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

A HORRIBLE COWARDLY MURDER OF A BEAUTIFUL INNOCENT WOMAN
    A SHAMBOLIC TRIAL OF EPIC PROPORTION
    TWO MURDERERS WALKING FREE
    I FEEL DEVESTATED FOR JOHN MCAREAVEY
    You clearly witnessed the crime, attended the whole trial, and know more than anyone else. And you don't believe in the justice system. They two defendants should sue you for libel.
    You may not like the verdict but that does not allow you to describe those aquited as murderers.

who murdered her? if someone is found not guilty then they are innocent.
    Would you prefer they convict someone regardless of whether they could prove they did it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

Seasoft wrote: »
    You clearly witnessed the crime, attended the whole trial, and know more than anyone else. And you don't believe in the justice system. They two defendants should sue you for libel.
    You may not like the verdict but that does not allow you to describe those aquited as murderers.
    So let them sue me they got away with murder , scott free and dont try to tell me otherwise i know your type and i dont like it

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Mickey Harte having to face a probable media circus at Dr. Hyde Park tomorrow afternoon.

I know people must get on with their lives but there are people who have argued that Mickey should have stepped down his position as manager of Tyrone to be able to come to terms and deal with the situation. Tyrone's performances have dipped dramatically in the last 18 months and a number of senior players have walked away from the panel. Not Mickey's fault but his head and heart can't be fully into it with all that's gone on.

So let them sue me they got away with murder , scott free and dont try to tell me otherwise i know your type and i dont like it

Someone got away with murder but we don't know it was them.

I'm sure the media will give him privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if they were found guilty there would be doubts, now that they were found innocent there are doubts.

either way, nobody can be sure if they did it or not, such was the absolutely ridiculous way this was done. the only thing we are certain off now is that a woman is lying in a coffin up north and her murderer is still walking free around the place.

there are no winners in this one :(

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    I know people must get on with their lives but there are people who have argued that Mickey should have stepped down his position as manager of Tyrone to be able to come to terms and deal with the situation. Tyrone's performances have dipped dramatically in the last 18 months and a number of senior players have walked away from the panel. Not Mickey's fault but his head and heart can't be fully into it with all that's gone on.

Players walked away from the panel cos they were in their 30's. Performances dipped cos they are an old team. Nothing whatsoever to do with this.

I'm sure the media will give him privacy.

You obviously have alot higher opinion of the tabloid **** than I do then!

Players walked away from the panel cos they were in their 30's. Performances dipped cos they are an old team. Nothing whatsoever to do with this.

Im not saying thats the case exactly but it would be most unusual if the whole scenario & spotlight surrounding Micky and his family didnt have some kind of knock on effect on the panel. Not withstanding that, I admire his bravery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Doc on now on Rte1 about the case.

Advertisement