Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas pipe laying on the cork rd

Options
  • 12-07-2012 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Just got a leaflet in work saying that from the end of the month there will be gas pipe laying works on the cork rd from approx old NTL building in the cork rd, up Ashe rd and seems to stop by the entrance to Aldi. Will take up until christmas approx for these works to complete.

Now the works don't bother me that much, its the fact that they only relaid the whole road around there in the last year and now they are going to have to dig it all up again.

There do be some stupid planning decisions being made. Surely things like this are in the pipeline (excuse the pun) for a good while so someone must of known these gas works were going to be done in the near future.

Always seems to be the same around here. They only relay a road and a few months later they are digging up part of it again.
    I wonder how long it will be before they start diiging up the new road down by ballybeg when its finished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

They should bring in a by-law, where any company disturbing a road, up to 3 years after it's been laid should be fined €1,000 per square foot that disturbed.
    The companies should be given 6 months notice before a new road is laid so that whatever works they have planned can be done beforehand.

Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Reminds me of the old ad where the lads are dig up the road and a few companies coming and decide to lay their product aswell while the road dug up finish with a hearse pulling up ....

Doing more than one thing at a time that would be more than the Irish psyche could take...........

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Is it gas pipes or what are they doing on the gracdieu side of the carrickpherrish road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

cococoady wrote: »
    Just got a leaflet in work saying that from the end of the month there will be gas pipe laying works on the cork rd from approx old NTL building in the cork rd, up Ashe rd and seems to stop by the entrance to Aldi. Will take up until christmas approx for these works to complete.

Now the works don't bother me that much, its the fact that they only relaid the whole road around there in the last year and now they are going to have to dig it all up again.

There do be some stupid planning decisions being made. Surely things like this are in the pipeline (excuse the pun) for a good while so someone must of known these gas works were going to be done in the near future.

Always seems to be the same around here. They only relay a road and a few months later they are digging up part of it again.
    I wonder how long it will be before they start diiging up the new road down by ballybeg when its finished?

The Cork road will be full of potholes 6 months after works finish. unless maybe they could dig up the footpath instead, a lot less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

I have to say they are doing a very good job of keeping disruption to a minimum. Using grassland area where possible was a very good idea. Every other company always seem to go down the middle of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

cococoady wrote: »
    I have to say they are doing a very good job of keeping disruption to a minimum. Using grassland area where possible was a very good idea. Every other company always seem to go down the middle of the road.

Fair point. It really hasn't been that disruptive, considering the huge amount of work being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Can we start a mini shell crusty movement for the craic ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

up to 3 years after it's been laid should be fined €1,000 per square foot that disturbed.

Just a suggestion.

Not a good suggestion, what you are suggesting would put alot of company's off building in places due to your insanely stupid fines for any public roads that may require pipes etc to be laid to a new build or extention.

Sure utility companys should try put down stuff all at the same time but sometimes thats just not workable for a variety of reasons.

Instead the council should simply ensure that the work is completed properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

The worst part of all this is when they relay the the section they dug up, The section is always a mess and is never done properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

Why not build service trays / ducts under the new roads so services can be installed at a later date without having to rip up the road. Council then owns these ducts and can lease them to utility companies for any services they wish to provide.

Sounds too logical to me though:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I assume this is connected to the digging up of Ballybeg and the side of WIT?

Bards wrote: »
    Why not build service trays / ducts under the new roads so services can be installed at a later date without having to rip up the road. Council then owns these ducts and can lease them to utility companies for any services they wish to provide.

This would be Ideal but i reckon they would factor in a cost they cant afford at the moment, They have a budget to stick to and they dont give a monkeys if it has to be dug further down the line cos they can budget for that at that time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bards wrote: »

There are, what some might call as ducts, for some services. In general though, the cost to rip up the roads to install large ducts for various cables (fiber, telephone lines, electrical, gas etc) would be very high and completely stupid. Plus, don't some services get installed at the side of the road and others in the middle? Would be daft. The council should just ensure that the roads are properly fixed immediately after and there is already a law stating that at the end of each working day the road must be cleaned down.

Some companies are better than others at cleaning up after themselves. Bord Gáis have been working in Waterford for a little while now and have dug up some roads already, immediately replacing the stretch with tarmac properly laid and sealed before moving onto the next job.

The problem is with other companies just using compacted stone or tarmac which eventually rips up and leaves a large pothole, but if cut out properly and re-surfaced properly it will last for years.

The worst part of all this is when they relay the the section they dug up, The section is always a mess and is never done properly!

And you were bang on guessing this. While they done a great job keeping the disruption to a minimum, the condition they have left the road is nothing short of disgraceful.
    How can the council leave them off with the road in this condition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Most probably just a temporary reinstatement for four or five months then the proper job is done when the ground has settled, normal practice nowadays.

I hope?

The road is shagged out there, cut to bits now theres 100's of thousands of euros worth of damage, that is if they relay the road, its a shambles!

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Most probably just a temporary reinstatement for four or five months then the proper job is done when the ground has settled, normal practice nowadays.

I hope?

You would hope so but surely they could of done a better job of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

They would have most likely have to post a bond as well to get the road opening licence which will be called in if they do a runner.

I reckon everytime a road is open up like that the council should be there to watch them refill it, They just dont give a monkeys when they do refills, just hop it in give it a go of a whacker (not all the time) and throw some tar down! be the hockey poke tis grand off we go for the breakfast roll!:D

Advertisement