Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going it alone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I dont really have much experience of sportives Shaz but I learned from the Ring of Kerry is that there are people of so many different abilities cycling out there that there is no need to worry at all about times and stuff. I usually try to cycle at 28km/hour and the club seems to go about 30km/per hour ish you get pulled along much faster when there are other people around. I plan to do all my sportives with Stephen so our aim will be the same as Kerry, 25kms per hour. You are definitely able for that!

We are doing the Trip to Tipp 70k on the 18th of August- maybe you might think of joining us?

Thanks for the advice, I'm really looking forward to it.
    I have my eye on the Leinster Loop for that w-end but I will see how Sunday goes first. Might keep it in mind tho as Leinster Loop is 90km and I'm not sure about that yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

1:28 for a tough hilly 44k. I was very happy with that as I had set 1:30 as my aim.

:eek::eek: I was lucky I had a headstart from the swim or you would have been going by me on the bike, a minute ahead of me over that course - great cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

There's some serious training going on here!! Well done....and I love the ratio of 9 lads to one gal on the bike. So, just what did you mean when you said they took such good care of you?? ;);)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You should all be doing www.tmcycle.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

catweazle wrote: »
    :eek::eek: I was lucky I had a headstart from the swim or you would have been going by me on the bike, a minute ahead of me over that course - great cycling!

Ha ha but remember I was only doing the cycle so totally fresh. It would havebeen a whole different story if I had done the swim first :D

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    There's some serious training going on here!! Well done....and I love the ratio of 9 lads to one gal on the bike. So, just what did you mean when you said they took such good care of you?? ;);)

:D Giving me sweets, constantly checking to see if I was ok, giving me a tow up the hills. Great bunch of guys.

You should all be doing www.tmcycle.ie

I'll do it if you and Shaz do it :p

I'll do it if you and Shaz do it :p

200? Since when? Wasn't like that last year. :pac:

Its in the FAQs on the website- says every cyclist must raise €200. I was all for it when I saw it was €60 to register but I wouldnt be able to raise that kind of money, people are sick of me asking them for money :(

Its in the FAQs on the website- says every cyclist must raise €200. I was all for it when I saw it was €60 to register but I wouldnt be able to raise that kind of money, people are sick of me asking them for money :(

Don't think that's enforced. They'd be better off charging more for registration and taking some of it for sponsorship than that. €60 covers the hotel and dinner - that crap of raising so much money is what makes doing cycle events like that so hard. I'd happily throw in an extra €50 for sponsorship but not once a month or so if you want to do them regularly.

• Advertisement

Mmmm definitely something to think about- are you going to do it?

Mmmm definitely something to think about- are you going to do it?

Not if I've to raise €200. No on will sponsor me for something like that, I'd be asking them for money so I can do something I want to do not for the charity. Did it last year and had a blast, have registered for this year but haven't paid the 60 yet.

I'd consider it too, I've nothing else on that weekend but likewise on the €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Great stuff solobally8, keep up the amazing work!!

Thanks Ruby, I'm on holidays from work for a few weeks so I'm finding it very easy to get lots of sessions in.

Wed 25th July
    Week 4 Run 2 of Half marathon plan. The plan says 4 miles pace. I couldnt remember what my pace was supposed to be I thought it was either 5:55 per km or 9:55 per mile but those are two different things so I went with the 5:55kms. Very enjoyable run apart from my right shin hurting for about 4k and also getting splashed by a jeep. Shin pain was gone by end of the run, my run rage towards the driver still boiling away :mad: 6.57kms in 39:05 average pace 5:57 per km.

The Tri club were putting on an Aquathon this evening. I hummed and hawed about whether to go along or not.

Reasons not to go:
    - it's only 2 weeks since I decided to leave the club and not attend any more training with them.
    - I was tired and had my run already done for today
    - I didnt want to run into the 2 people who have been treating me badly in the club

Reasons to go:
    - I've never done an Aquathon and it would be a good training session to do in the run up to Brian Boru Tri
    - to get experience ow swimming in a race scenario without the pressure of an actual real race
    - To get over the fright I got here 2 weeks ago when I DNF the club triathlon
    - Meet up with all the others in the club who are lovely and decent and who I miss training with.

Stephen said he would come with me which made the decision for me in the end- I knew I would be stronger with him there with me.

I'm very happy with how it went. The lake was flat calm :D. I decided to try find a zen like place on the swim- just keep calm no matter how long it takes me to get there, no breast stroking and I only had to stop twice to let the water out of my goggles. A pretty crappy 17:06 for 700m but I dont care- I did it, I'm hopefully over my irrational fear now. Time will tell.

I thought the run was only 2k for some reason so when I was putting my runners I decided to not put socks on. I always wear them but decided to risk it for 2k. As I reached the 1k point I was looking forward to turning around but there was no sign and everyone was still running along the road further away from the finish. Then I thought- maybe its 3k. Quickly copped on that it was actually the 5k route we were doing. Felt a bit wrecked on the run but it wasnt too bad- its sooo much easier running after a swim than running off the bike.

Finish time of 44:40. Glad I went.

Good for you for doing this aquathon! And props to Stephen for being such a wonderful supporter for you - he's a keeper!

I have a question for you - what do you do with your hair in a triathlon? I usually pull my hair back in a pony tail for a swim....and the same for a run.....but I have to pull my hair back differently for my bike helmet to sit correctly on my head. (Hair is still in a pony tail, but lower down). So, I'm trying to decide what to do. My biggest problem with the way I pull my hair back for the bike helmet is that not all my hair will then reach back into hair band so it falls in my face, but I don't really want to fiddle with my hair in transition.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I have a question for you - what do you do with your hair in a triathlon? I usually pull my hair back in a pony tail for a swim....and the same for a run.....but I have to pull my hair back differently for my bike helmet to sit correctly on my head. (Hair is still in a pony tail, but lower down). So, I'm trying to decide what to do. My biggest problem with the way I pull my hair back for the bike helmet is that not all my hair will then reach back into hair band so it falls in my face, but I don't really want to fiddle with my hair in transition.

My hair is a big problem these days. I used to have long hair which I would put in a plait and just fold up under my swim cap, it was low enough then for the helmet to go over no problem. Then I stupidly got my hair cut much shorter. Now its hell trying to manage it in races. I can only have a little mini pony tail where most of my hair doesnt even go into it and it usually falls out when I take off my swim cap. In Athlone I just let my hair down under my helmet then as I didnt want to waste time tying it up again. I looked like a mad woman by the end of the run:D

I always have spare bobbles at transition so if I want to I can tie my hair up on the run.

All very complicted but vital stuff to worry about :D

AAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    STRESSED OUT MUCH!!!!!!!!!

Thursday 26th July
    Today's plan was to cycle and run the Brian Boru tri route. Decided to get it done early so I would have the rest of the day free to spend with my daughter. As I drove to Twomilegate I realised that the run wouldnt be happening. A little blister on the side of my left foot was hurting like hell (stupid decision to run sockless last night- how does everyone else do it?)

I didnt mind too much about dumping the run- I felt tired and once I got out on the bike my legs were like lead so I thought to myself a 22k hilly cycle would be enough for me for today. I really struggled and felt like I was crawling so was happy to get the chance to pull over at the turn around point to answer my phone. Back to the car for a 53 minute 22k.

This is where my day from hell started- went to get my car keys from the saddle bag- wtf NO KEY :eek: I couldnt believe it. Searched around my car, in all my pockets, under my car, along the road, in the carpark but no sign of it. I came to the conclusion that it must have fell out when I took my phone out of the saddlebag at the furthest point away on the route.

Nothing for it but for me to cycle back out there to look for it. By now the sun was blazing and I had drank all my water. I could see my gels and sweets on the front seat of the car- so close yet so far...

My daughter was home alone and expecting me back. I rang her but she didnt answer her phone so I called Stephen and ranted to him about how tough my life is. He could do nothing to help as he was selfishly at work saving peoples lives instead of waiting to come to my rescue:)

So off I set in a total bad mood, totally stressed out and annoyed. Back out to Toumgraney (that's not how you spell it but I cant be bothered looking it up) conducted a major search of the area but no joy. Key still missing. Cycled back to car park feeling very sorry for myself. 23.24k done in 54 minutes this time.

Managed to contact my daugter so at least I knew she was alive and hadnt burnt the house down. Went to the lifeguard to see if anyone had handed in a key, no joy, searched car park, all round car, toilets etc again.

At this stage I was seriously heading towards a huge tantrum. It was so hot, I was dying for a drink, its was hours since breakfast and I was sick of being on the bike. Rang Stephen for another rant (I married a saint)

Rant over I had to get back on the bike to cycle home. I have never felt so sorry for myself on the bike. Then every now and then I would tell myself to cop on, I've cycled way longer than this on way tougher routes but it was the stress of it all that was getting to me. And now it was the fact that it's the most beautiful sunny day in weeks and I've spent it cycling in circles looking for a bloody car key!!

Finally got home (17.4kms in 48mins), found spare key and got my mother-in-law to drive me back to Twomilegate. Woohoo finally got the car open. Home and finally ate my lunch at 5.10pm.

Not exactly what I had planned for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

AAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
    STRESSED OUT MUCH!!!!!!!!!

Thursday 26th July
    Today's plan was to cycle and run the Brian Boru tri route. Decided to get it done early so I would have the rest of the day free to spend with my daughter. As I drove to Twomilegate I realised that the run wouldnt be happening. A little blister on the side of my left foot was hurting like hell (stupid decision to run sockless last night- how does everyone else do it?)

I didnt mind too much about dumping the run- I felt tired and once I got out on the bike my legs were like lead so I thought to myself a 22k hilly cycle would be enough for me for today. I really struggled and felt like I was crawling so was happy to get the chance to pull over at the turn around point to answer my phone. Back to the car for a 53 minute 22k.

This is where my day from hell started- went to get my car keys from the saddle bag- wtf NO KEY :eek: I couldnt believe it. Searched around my car, in all my pockets, under my car, along the road, in the carpark but no sign of it. I came to the conclusion that it must have fell out when I took my phone out of the saddlebag at the furthest point away on the route.

Nothing for it but for me to cycle back out there to look for it. By now the sun was blazing and I had drank all my water. I could see my gels and sweets on the front seat of the car- so close yet so far...

My daughter was home alone and expecting me back. I rang her but she didnt answer her phone so I called Stephen and ranted to him about how tough my life is. He could do nothing to help as he was selfishly at work saving peoples lives instead of waiting to come to my rescue:)

So off I set in a total bad mood, totally stressed out and annoyed. Back out to Toumgraney (that's not how you spell it but I cant be bothered looking it up) conducted a major search of the area but no joy. Key still missing. Cycled back to car park feeling very sorry for myself. 23.24k done in 54 minutes this time.

Managed to contact my daugter so at least I knew she was alive and hadnt burnt the house down. Went to the lifeguard to see if anyone had handed in a key, no joy, searched car park, all round car, toilets etc again.

At this stage I was seriously heading towards a huge tantrum. It was so hot, I was dying for a drink, its was hours since breakfast and I was sick of being on the bike. Rang Stephen for another rant (I married a saint)

Rant over I had to get back on the bike to cycle home. I have never felt so sorry for myself on the bike. Then every now and then I would tell myself to cop on, I've cycled way longer than this on way tougher routes but it was the stress of it all that was getting to me. And now it was the fact that it's the most beautiful sunny day in weeks and I've spent it cycling in circles looking for a bloody car key!!

Finally got home (17.4kms in 48mins), found spare key and got my mother-in-law to drive me back to Twomilegate. Woohoo finally got the car open. Home and finally ate my lunch at 5.10pm.

Not exactly what I had planned for today.

Rant away, that's what we're here for ;)
    Sounds like a nightmare of a day alright, but sure all's well that ends well. So philosophical amn't I?

Friday 27th July - No ranting today:) Nice easy swim 1500m front crawl, just nice and calm, up and down:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

I'm a terrible person - I read your rant and thought to myself "yahoo! I'm not the only one who has days like that!" :o Hope you're feeling better and enjoyed your swim :)

Saturday 28th July
    I had no idea the Olympics would have such an effect on my life. I'm going to be holed up in my sitting room for the next 2 weeks I think!

Got up late this morning, brought my breakfast into the sitting room and watched the cycling, judo, rowing , swimming etc. I had planned to do my 7 miler at 11.30 but by 1pm I was still in my pjs watching the cycling and F1 qualifying:)

Managed to grab my running clothes and get dressed in front of the tv then out the door finally at 1.30 for my run. I'm hoping to do 10 min miles for the half marathon so my planned pace was 10:30 per mile.

Splits:
    9:53, 10:05, 10:00, 9:57, 10:32, 10:16, 10:44

Not exactly a consistent 10:30 pace:)

Total 7.22 miles in 1:13

Back home I ate my lunch and dinner in front of the tv and sat on couch for rest of the day (apart from a half hour walk with the poor neglected doggie). I think that's 8 hours tv watching- a new PB I'd say.

I totally know what you are talking about regarding the Olympics. It will dictate my life until the closing ceremonies are done and over. Congrats on the PB tho! ;)

Sunday 29th July
    71.31km cycle with cycling club. Only 3 others turned up for the fast group this morning. Everyone else was away at tours or races. I was very scared starting off, I didnt want to hold the lads back and I knew it would be tougher in this group of 4 than last weeks 10. First 30 mins were very fast and at one point I thought I would have to give up as I was giving all I had and my legs were dead. Got through that though and motored on. Got dropped on most hills but the lads always waited for me. Took 2 turns at the front but the wind and speed was killing me so I quickly went back behind. A rolling time of 2:22:19. Very happy with that.

My left hand was sore and weak again. My pinky and ring finger feel like they have no power and I have pain up along my arm. D'internet says it's Cyclist Palsy. I really hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sunday 29th July
    71.31km cycle with cycling club. Only 3 others turned up for the fast group this morning. Everyone else was away at tours or races. ....A rolling time of 2:22:19. Very happy with that.

My left hand was sore and weak again. My pinky and ring finger feel like they have no power and I have pain up along my arm. D'internet says it's Cyclist Palsy. I really hope not.

or else they were watching the Olympics;)
    my kids want the Olympics to not count as part of their allotted TV viewing each day:rolleyes:...i said i'd see, but they are loving it so i am easing up on them .... My long run was finished in the dark yesterday...got to my Mams house and watched a bit of the swimming but had to go in the end...after 11 when i got home to my own house...:eek:

Well done on the training, you go girl!!! I hope your hand is ok today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great going SB8 - did laugh at your key saga :D

Jeez thanks girls- glad my key saga gave ye a laugh:D Actually everyone I told laughed and now it's a week since I can laught at my own misfortune too:)

Anyway moving on...

Took Monday as a rest day- lots of Olympic action to watch no time for training!!

Tuesday 31st July
    Over to Twomilegate to meet up with 3 girls from the club to do the Boru route one last time. We really tried our best to back out of it- it was lashing and v windy but since we had made the effort to go there we decided to go for it. The cycle was very tough this time, the wind was brutal and we were totally soaked. I really hope its not like that on Sunday. Actually the race would probably be cancelled if it was as bad I'd say!

Quick change and off for the run...which turned into a walk up those horrid rat runs within 2 mins! After a while we remembered that we werent out for a walk and a chat and maybe we better do some running. It was very tricky though as the rain had made lots of the course very muddy and slippy.

I wont say how long it took us- all I can say is that if I dont go faster on Sunday then I have a problem :)

July Totals:
    Run - 58.47 miles, 9hrs 45 mins - delighted with this. My highest mileage since March. No pain or serious niggles. One full month of consistent training following Hal Higdons half marathon plan. Delira :D
    Swim - :oVery poor month on the swimming front but the Ring of Kerry cycle and a few days away affected the start of the month and my irrational fear of open water made me avoid a few sessions too. Still ended up with 12875m for the month. 6 hrs 20 mins of swimming. Will seriously have to up that in August if I am to improve at all.
    Cycle - 596.26kms :D Ring of kerry accounts for 180k of that but even still I managed to get out on a few long cycles and plenty short training runs for Brian Boru. 20hrs 40 mins in the saddle.

Wed 1st Aug - Dromineer Aquathon 2. Plan for tonight was to try beat last weeks time but not push too hard as I wanted to be in one piece for Sunday. Felt good getting into the water and was happy to be starting with 5 others to sight off. I even managed to swim in someones feet bubbles for a while but I was left miles behind after about 2 mins:o. I felt fine in the water- still not loving it but I wasnt panicky and only stopped 3 times to fix my goggles- no breast stroke at all:). Was disappointed though to see it took me 18 mins for the 700m when it took 17:04 last week.

Transition was slow too as I decided to wear socks this week and was a bit dizzy and fumbly getting my runners on. I already knew I was way down on last weeks time and would have to set a huge PB over the run course to beat last week. I decided I wasnt going to injure my achilles for a club race so even though I pushed I didnt kill myself and finished in 47 mins total. 2:40 mins slower than last week.

Thursday 2nd Aug - 5.22km run. Tried to pick up the pace a bit on this as I feel I'm mostly plodding along these days. 29:26 in the end.

Friday 3rd Aug - Plan for today was an easy swim either in the pool or the lake. Unfortunately some poor man is missing in the lake so Stephen is out on search and rescue duty. I probably wont get a session as I'm waiting to hear what going on. God Lough Derg is so beautiful to live beside. I'm privilaged to have the ability to swim in it so often. Dont think I want to go in there today with thoughts of how a life can be taken so suddenly while enjoying the water.

• Advertisement

Last winter when I was spending a lot of time on the trianer I went through this very same thing on the very same arm/hand.....and of course my overactive mind came up with some ridiculous ideas...but they have totally resolved now, so I hope yours do too. I think I was putting too much pressure on one spot for too long - I think easing up the grip and moving my hands more have helped. :)

Advertisement