Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going it alone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I echo Kurt's woo hoo, and I'll add bravo, well done, and you rock!!! I'm totally delighted for you. You always know how to make lemonade out of lemons! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Your pacing seems to be fine - you're allowed be a little fast on the first mile, and you were good from there. If you hadn't had those stitches you'd have been even faster. If you need to think about anything (and maybe you don't - you're flying!) it would be how you take on food and water?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats !!

It's so tough to break these barriers ... but once they're gone it's all downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Well done. It's always satisfying to hit a trained for target.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

brilliant B8 and very well deserved. your progress this year has been fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Thanks a mill guys and gals, I'm now starting to try figure out how I knock another 10 mins off that time:). Maybe try for sub 1h 55 next year then sub 1h 50 the following. Mental to think I was planning on just aiming for sub 2:10 a few weeks ago :D

Body broken today, legs very stiff and sore. Bought a foam roller last week, really should crack it out and give it a go.

Pic of me from yesterday (I'm in the boards ac top). 2 important lessons to learn from this photo- 1 I really need to drop a few lbs, everyone else was so scrawny. 2nd and more importantly- I should never tie my hair back like that in public again, NOT a good luck for me :D

564813_445152482204265_533090975_n.jpg

You are gorgeous!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

+1

....p.s. where did you get the boards top...i'd love to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

I'm really delighted for you, no bother to you girl!
    And to say you need to drop a few pounds- you could do with a few, I could borrow you some don't want you getting cold over the winter!
    Really well done, super running:)
    So whats next?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

That's a fantastic time and so well deserved. I'm delighted for you. Thats a great picture, you look very comfortable and there's not a pick on you. Typical woman, too hard on yourself!!;)

• Advertisement

Trig1 wrote: »
    +1

....p.s. where did you get the boards top...i'd love to get one

It's a boards AC one from a few years back when we had a running club over in the A/R/T forum. Woddle had organised them at the time. Im not sure if its still possible to get them any more.
    madon wrote: »
    I'm really delighted for you, no bother to you girl!
    And to say you need to drop a few pounds- you could do with a few, I could borrow you some don't want you getting cold over the winter!
    Really well done, super running:)
    So whats next?

Thanks madon. Next is the Thurlas Ladies 10k on Sunday. Hoping its the right length and not short like Shannon. Hoping to go sub 52 but the fact I'm still walking like John Wayne today is making that look doubtful :D
    Younganne wrote: »
    That's a fantastic time and so well deserved. I'm delighted for you. Thats a great picture, you look very comfortable and there's not a pick on you. Typical woman, too hard on yourself!!;)

Oh god, I think it's an awful pic. I was going to put a title on it saying 'This is what a world of pain looks like'. I was totally suffering.

Thanks for the lovely comments though guys, maybe I am being a little too hard on myself :)

After 2 rest days I couldnt put it off any longer so hopped on the treadmill after an evening of procrastinating. Of course once I started I felt great and after my 3.4 mile run I decided to do a bit of boxing, skipping and weights.

Eating my way through a box of roses as I typed this :o

Sunday 30th Sept - Tipperary Womens Mini Marathon

Had a bit of a lazy week after last weeks half marathon so I thought it would be a good idea to get out for a short 3 miler yesterday. Felt good so went home and ate a load of chocolate and popcorn - not the best way to eat the day before a race eh!

It was lashing rain when the alarm went off this morning. Totally gross weather but I didnt mind, I would rather it to be wet and cold than too sunny (not much chance of that though). Off to Thurles nice and early as they were warning us to be there well before 10 to register. Parked the car at 9.20, collected my number etc and was back sitting in the car at 9.30 with an hour and a half left to twiddle my thumbs:)

Did a nice warm up for a change of nearly 2 miles, visited the toilet twice and finally it was time to start. I lined up right at the front, a look at last years results showed me that my current 10k time would have me in the top 100 finishers so I didnt want to get caught too far back. I probably started too far forward as I went off way too fast (as usual) and was passed by loads of ladies very quickly.

Pushed myself as hard as I could. Depended on the garmin to keep me going, every time I saw my pace drop I pushed on a bit more to bring it back down. It was a lovely almost flat course with one or two small drags except for the bridge in the last 500m which was a bit of a sting in the tail and caused me to slow down when I really should have been speeding up.

Crossed the line in 51:24 another 10k PB for me. 67th out of 1017 finishers. Delighted with that. Next stop sub 50 :D

That's the 2012 season finished for me. No more planned races this year. Training for 2013 starts tomorrow.

Well done, you are flying at the moment. Keep up the good work!!
    Delighted for you!!:D

You have had a fantastic year with some real highs.....and today was another one of those highs! Well done you! And bravo for having the chutzpah to start at the front - you go girl!! I have to wonder, would you have had the confidence to do that a year ago? In any case, I look forward to following your always positive and ever entertaining 2013 training journey! :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    And bravo for having the chutzpah to start at the front - you go girl!! I have to wonder, would you have had the confidence to do that a year ago?

Oh I didnt mean to say right at the front, as in the front row (I have too much respect for the actual fast people to do that). I was about 4 rows back but you're right, I would never have even dreamed of starting so far forward this time last year :)

I know the increases I gained in times this year will not be replicated from here on in but nevertheless I'm still very excited about how much faster I could go if I got some good training behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Well done you- I seem to remember you on my log saying something about not being able to run my pace, not so long ago- well you can and can outrun me too! Glad to see your log looking so positive and the two great PB runs you've done in the space of a week:eek: Look forward to what you are going to achieve in 2013!

well done again Solobally8, great way to end the season...congrats and I might see you out for some long cycles over the winter from the parkway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I'm having a morning of catching up and I am delighted with your recent results. You are in great shape and most importantly, you're enjoying it all :) Huge congrats on the sub-2 HM :D And regarding the sub-50 10k - it is so there - that last minute or so of pain can be taken on with a push from the mental strength that you definitely have. It's your's for the taking. (Remember Emer and Rachel in Dunshaughlin in June...you're next!)

PS and FYI - your 10k and HM times are pretty much a mirror image of mine from this time last year...just saying! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Wow I miss a couple of weeks over here and you go and bag 2 PB's...nice going SB8 :D. As CL says sub 50 enroute next year for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Haven't seen your log in ages because I didn't think I was allowed over here ;) You've been absolutely FLYING! Congrats on your pbs, delighted for you. Sub50 10k will be no problem to you. And enough with the 'I need to lose a few pounds' lark, you look fantastic. Congrats again :)

claralara wrote: »
    I'm having a morning of catching up and I am delighted with your recent results. You are in great shape and most importantly, you're enjoying it all :) Huge congrats on the sub-2 HM :D And regarding the sub-50 10k - it is so there - that last minute or so of pain can be taken on with a push from the mental strength that you definitely have. It's your's for the taking. (Remember Emer and Rachel in Dunshaughlin in June...you're next!)

PS and FYI - your 10k and HM times are pretty much a mirror image of mine from this time last year...just saying! ;)

Ha ha my 10k and HM times are nearly at the limit of what I will ever do. You on the other hand are hard working, talented and dedicated enough to go even faster than the lightening speed of Berlin!
    Wow I miss a couple of weeks over here and you go and bag 2 PB's...nice going SB8 :D. As CL says sub 50 enroute next year for sure.

Thanks bp. For the first time ever I can say with confidence that I feel will go sub 50. All I need to do is stay injury free (now that's tempting fate!!) and put some regular running training in.
    racheljev wrote: »
    Haven't seen your log in ages because I didn't think I was allowed over here ;) You've been absolutely FLYING! Congrats on your pbs, delighted for you. Sub50 10k will be no problem to you. And enough with the 'I need to lose a few pounds' lark, you look fantastic. Congrats again :)

You are so welcome over here rach, I miss ye girls!!

This weeks training...

I am in the very strange position of being bullied by a guy in my tri club. It seems his intention is to push me out of the club. I find it very hard to take. I'm a reasonable person. I've tried talking to him to see what his problem is and can we get past it. I dont have a clue what I have done to cause it. I changed my username as he knows I post here but then after a while I started this log as I realised I shouldnt have hidden. I have no reason to stop posting here. I've been posting on boards for 5 years now. I had decided to leave the tri club but then some of the girls encouraged me to keep going to sessions, that I shouldnt let one childish person push me out. So I kept going to a few sessions but found it very tough. I really dont like conflict. I just want to move on from it all.

There were no official club sessions in September so I did my own thing and concentrated on running with great results if I say so myself :D Club training started back on Monday and I was left with the decision- should I go with the club or should I continue to go it alone?

I've decided to brazen it out and train with the club when it suits me. I wont kill myself to make as many sessions as last year. I will go to the ones that will help me improve in triathlon and running next year. I'm going to make the most of my membership.

So off I went to Circuit training Monday. Wow it was tough. He took it easy on us for the first night back. Even still I was sweating like a pig. Loved it. I missed the torture :D

Working late on Tuesday so I missed a turbo session but managed to fit a short weights session in at work Wednesday morning before heading off to Liverpool with MrBally8 for a few days. No training done over there. Lots of shopping, eating and shouting at the match!!

Cycled into Nenagh for what was supposed to be a short easy club cycle this morning. Turned out to be much faster and longer than I had expected. I found it very tough. I haven't been on the bike in exactly a month and it showed. I might be getting faster at running but my bike fitness is totally gone. I'm amazed at how bad I've gotten so quickly. Nothing a few cycles wont cure though. 50k in 2 hrs :o

I had planned to go out for a spin with the North Tipp Wheelers tomorrow but today showed me I'm not ready for that yet so will prob go out alone or do a long turbo instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Is this bully focusing on a particular subject e.g. performance, gender, age, homeplace?
    Are there more senior club members who could assist in telling him to cop on?
    Can you ignore his pathetic carry on by blocking it out completely and blanking him?
    Obviously no one should put you off trying to do what you enjoy so he's out of order in his behavior and has no right to act in that way. Try not to give him any satisfaction and just do your own thing

RedB wrote: »
    Is this bully focusing on a particular subject e.g. performance, gender, age, homeplace?
    Are there more senior club members who could assist in telling him to cop on?
    Can you ignore his pathetic carry on by blocking it out completely and blanking him?
    Obviously no one should put you off trying to do what you enjoy so he's out of order in his behavior and has no right to act in that way. Try not to give him any satisfaction and just do your own thing

Thanks for the concern Red. I honestly dont know what his problem is and its hard to put into words what is actually going on. We have gone from being friends to him totally ignoring me and doing his best to make me feel uncomfortable, passing comments on my performance, refusing to inform me of changes to the training schedule etc (one of his responsibilities in the club). Its all very childish and silly. I shouldnt even be writing about it here in my log. I just need to HTFU and do as you say- ignore it and get on with my own thing. It's such a shame though as I was so happy when I joined the club and got so much benefit from it.

Give me his name and I'll SORT him!!!! I am from Limerick ya kno!!!:mad:..

Maybe he Fancies you???????? and this is his way of showing it????..
    Have you considered joining another tri club?

Trig1 wrote: »
    Give me his name and I'll SORT him!!!! I am from Limerick ya kno!!!:mad:..

Maybe he Fancies you???????? and this is his way of showing it????..
    Have you considered joining another tri club?

Ha ha thanks Trig :D It's that childish isnt it!

I have considered joining another club but logistically it would be difficult. I would end up spending a lot more time in the car and I already do too much driving with my commute to work. I think I will try to tough it out for now.

Sick today- I seem to have caught a cold/bug. No energy, very sore throat and cant stop sneezing. Couldnt bring myself to do anything even though I had planned on a big brick session. Not sure how my training will go this week, work will be mental as we have inspectors in.

I can't even imagine anyone ever wanting to bully you. I like the idea of bringing this to the attention of someone in charge of the club - if they don't know about it they can't fix it. But, you could also try killing him with kindness.....or making sure you don't avoid him...smile at him, look him in the eyes and say hello when the oppportunity arises. Try not to let him control what makes you happy.....don't allow him to manipulate you. Chances are you are not the first person he has bullied. Also the crush-on-you theory crossed my mind too!

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Thanks for the concern Red. I honestly dont know what his problem is and its hard to put into words what is actually going on. We have gone from being friends to him totally ignoring me and doing his best to make me feel uncomfortable, passing comments on my performance, refusing to inform me of changes to the training schedule etc (one of his responsibilities in the club). Its all very childish and silly. I shouldnt even be writing about it here in my log. I just need to HTFU and do as you say- ignore it and get on with my own thing. It's such a shame though as I was so happy when I joined the club and got so much benefit from it.

Sorry to hear about this SB8, but you can't let him get away with it, the next person he choses to bully might not be as strong as you, you seem to be able to live with it, but why should you have to. Its a recreational sport for the enjoyment of people and he is taking this away from you.

He is failing to pass on important information to you re the club, keep note of this and keep note of all the things he does/say/doesn't pass on, whatever it is that he is doing and build up a picture(evidence) so that when you go to the club to complain about him you will have a log of all these events and then they won't think its "just a female taking things out of proportion" no offence intended by that last comment but you know how some people see things.
    don't let him away with it, he is probably doing this for quite a long time to others too.
    Chin up and don't let him win!!

• Advertisement

So that sore throat and lack of energy developed into a full blown bug. I've had no energy and have been all caught up and chesty for the last 10 days. No training just lots of working as we had inspectors in and then lots of resting on my days off.

Today I'm finally feeling a bit normal. Still have a hacking cough but ready for action. 3 mile run on the treadmill followed by some weights and boxing in the morning. Club turbo session this evening. Great to be back training.

I've considered all the advice ye gave me about my problem in the club and I've decided to just ignore it all. If he does something to directly affect me in a negative way I will take it further but if he just ignores my existance (as he and his buddy did tonight) I will try and be strong and just ignore it too. I dont like the bad feeling it creates but as I realised tonight, there are plenty of nice people in the club so I will focus on getting the best I can out of every session I go to.

Advertisement